Advice needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed

We've been letting out several properties for a few years now through a letting agent but now that one tenant has put in notice to leave we are considering letting this property ourselves to see how it works out. The current tenant is due to move out in ten day but is it acceptable for us to advertise the property locally now and ask the tenant to allow us access to show round any prospective new tenants?

Originally posted by clan View Post
    The current tenant is due to move out in ten day but is it acceptable for us to advertise the property locally now and ask the tenant to allow us access to show round any prospective new tenants?
    You can ask, sure, but s(he) is under no obligation to agree. Most tenancy agreements will include a clause to that effect, but even if yours does, it's not enforceable by law. So be sure to try to get on their good side by offering to give plenty of notice of visits, only coming round at times convenient to the tenant etc.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
      Pickle135
      Our tenancy has just ended. We have cleaned the property from top to bottom using professional cleaners to do this and clean the carpets. He suggested this hadn't been done and wanted the name of our contractor to check which we gave him. The contractor assured him that after eight years the carpets...
      08-03-2017, 00:45 AM
    • Reply to Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
      Pickle135
      Woohoo!

Our adjudication has just come through and the landlord has been given a token payment with the majority of our large deposit being returned to us. He was told that he had not submitted appropriate evidence for the misuse of the property and that things he was saying were wrong...
      21-07-2017, 20:49 PM
    • Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
      scooter08
      Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
      England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
      AST

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
      12/04/2015
      21-07-2017, 15:06 PM
    • Reply to Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
      scooter08
      Thanks for the reply jp....
      21-07-2017, 18:32 PM
      jpkeates
      Makes sense - if the tenancy agreement doesn't say you have to let him and a surveyor in, his only right of access is with 24 hours written notice for the purpose of viewing the "condition and state of repair" of the property.

So you can simply decline or make your point.
      21-07-2017, 18:23 PM
      scooter08
      I'm not trying to claim for breach of quiet enjoyment. He wants to be in again with a surveyor to use his property as security for something. I am going to let him I just want to remind him and have all the facts. Sorry if I didn't explain it right.

Only claiming for the non protection...
      21-07-2017, 18:08 PM
      scooter08
      I pay the council tax, yes it is mortgaged. As far as I know he isn't pretending to live him and his family live in another house a few streets away....
      21-07-2017, 18:01 PM
    • HMO under Commercial Lease & homeowner wants to sell
      bald555
      Long story short, someone I know (not close) needed money, I gave him 12 months reduced rent upfront to help him out and put a commercial lease on his HMo with right to sublet etc (my tenants).

Few months in and his money problems are worse and the bank (and others) pressuring him to sell...
      21-07-2017, 16:58 PM
    • Reply to HMO under Commercial Lease & homeowner wants to sell
      bald555
      and yes, there is a mortgage...
      21-07-2017, 17:44 PM
      jpkeates
      Harassment is way more than a breach of quiet enjoyment, there has to be a level of distress in the harassed person.

A retrospective claim for breach of quiet enjoyment is probably a non-starter - breach of quiet enjoyment is part of the kitchen sink people throw when they're claiming compensation...
      21-07-2017, 17:43 PM
    Working...
    X