Polystyrene and ceramic tiles falling off - rented flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BTL investor View Post

But the loose tiles could have a long term negative impact on you, your flat mates or any guests if they were to fall and land on your head whilst using the toilet. Ouch!
    The long term negative impact of a fire being accelerated by the polystyrene ceiling tiles far outweighs any short term negative effect of raising any safety or legal issues.
    Also have you checked the room sizes meet minimum requirements? Five bedroom fourth floor flats are uncommon so it’s possible some of the original rooms have been divided up.
    They definitely do not. I am guessing one of the bedrooms must be 4.5/5 m2? Seems too small to me to be actually allowed. I know there are no other 5 bedroom flats in our building.

Comment

If you took over someone else's tenancy a) your deposit can't possibly have been protected properly and b) it's further evidence that your agent doesn't know what they're doing or are simply cowboys.

Because of a) you probably can't be served notice anyway.

See what happens when the contractor comes and be prepared to call the local authority to have them come and see what's what.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by cfdh View Post

They definitely do not. I am guessing one of the bedrooms must be 4.5/5 m2? Seems too small to me to be actually allowed. I know there are no other 5 bedroom flats in our building.
        Its good that during the short time you’ve resided in the building you’ve familiarised yourself with all the other flats on all of the at least 4 floors enough to know that none of them have 5 bedrooms but you ideally need to measure your own rooms rather than guessing the sizes to come to the conclusion that they definitely do not meet minimum requirements.

Comment

Its good that during the short time you’ve resided in the building you’ve familiarised yourself with all the other flats on all of the at least 4 other floors enough to know that none of them have 5 bedrooms but you ideally need to measure your own rooms rather than guessing the sizes to come to the conclusion that they definitely do not meet minimum requirements.
          I live on a former council estate so all the flats have the exact same layout except for those on the ground floor, and I’ve also done a bit of research on the building to see which flats had been rented or sold recently, looked at the pictures advertised, and I’ve reached the conclusion that all flats in the building are intended to be 3 bedroom flats.

I have measured one of the room, as I said between 4.5-5 m2, but I couldn’t get an exact measurement because furniture was in the way and room shape is awkward, so the numbers I used were imprecise (4.68 is the number I got). The minimum size for a bedroom in our borough is 8.5 m2, so I think I would notice the difference.

Comment

I thought we were now referring to your living accommodation as an unlicensed HMO? I have no experience of HMO accommodation or knowledge of different rules for different boroughs but I think you’ll find that minimum room size limits for HMO are less than 8.5m2 so you might find that your rooms are just above the minimum size requirement.

Comment

The borough’s website says on its page which lists requirements for HMOs that “Any rooms below the minimum space standard above [8.5m2] will not normally be considered suitable for sleeping accommodation although discretion may be granted if there is sufficient other communal space available to the occupiers. No rooms below 6.5m2 will be considered as suitable for sleeping rooms under any circumstances.” (I copied and pasted that)

We have no communal space other than the kitchen and bathroom.

Comment

I just copied and pasted that statement in to a google search but unfortunately nothing came up matching that search. The only results seem to imply standard HMO guidance to all HMO accommodation.
                So now we’ve established you have dangerous insecure tiles, mouldy tiles, a broken extractor, fire hazard ceiling tiles, a deposit that hasn’t been protected, rooms that don’t meet minimum size requirements and and a landlord that hasn’t registered the accommodation as an HMO we now need to establish if you wish to do anything about this or if you would prefer to keep quiet for fear of short term negative impacts.

Comment

Yes I removed the name of the borough + added the room size in square brackets for clarity’s sake, but the rest is word for word.

As I wrote earlier, I have told the agency about all the physical hazards at the property, and although I question whether they will do anything about it, the amount of research I have done since first posting and what I have found out about the flat makes me think I should move out when my contract ends, because I don’t think I have many other options.

Comment

Your landlord is clearly someone who is either wilfully unaware of the law or simply not bothered by it. You have mentioned several areas where he is in breach and my guess is that there are probably several others, such as gas safety compliance. I think that you should try to persusde your flatmates to give up this tenancy when the fixed term expires and find somewhere else before someone gets hurt. Before you leave you should shop him to the Council, to HMRC and to anyone else thats relevant and all seek a rent repayment order and deposit penalty. There is no place in the market for landlords like this and sadly that's likely to be the only way to stop him.

Comment

I just copied and pasted that statement in to a google search but unfortunately nothing came up matching that search.
                      I just searched and found a London council.

I believe that council is quite hot on unlicensed HMOs, so reporting to the council would seem like a reasonable approach.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X