Polystyrene and ceramic tiles falling off - rented flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know some councils don't allow polystyrene tiles on ceilings due to fire risk. So you can imagine my surprise, when my local council used flammable cladding with the same polystyrene as in Grenfell. You could n't make it up!

People have used polystyrene, as a cheap and cheerful solution to hide stains from water marks or cracks in ceilings. If you start to remove them, you may find a bigger job lurking behind and you may need to replace the ceiling. If it feels like a concrete ceiling, then you will be find, but anything else and you need to be worried.

Originally posted by cfdh View Post
    they have never inspected the flat in the 3-odd years my flatmate has lived here so I think the flat will be inspected by their contractor.
    You need to inspect the property for yourself. How do you know your agents are doing a decent job?

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback1966 View Post
      I know some councils don't allow polystyrene tiles on ceilings due to fire risk. So you can imagine my surprise, when my local council used flammable cladding with the same polystyrene as in Grenfell. You could n't make it up!

People have used polystyrene, as a cheap and cheerful solution to hide stains from water marks or cracks in ceilings. If you start to remove them, you may find a bigger job lurking behind and you may need to replace the ceiling. If it feels like a concrete ceiling, then you will be find, but anything else and you need to be worried.

You need to inspect the property for yourself. How do you know your agents are doing a decent job?

Think they were put on the ceilings for “cosmetic” reasons a long time ago because they are in every single room, even the bathroom!! The ceiling underneath doesn’t look damaged, just ugly.

Sadly because of Covid I had a to find a new place to live quickly and couldn’t inspect the flat fully beforehand.

Comment

Report the property to the local authority as a fire risk and the falling tiles as a safety hazard.

Or tell the agent you plan to if they don't do something.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          Report the property to the local authority as a fire risk and the falling tiles as a safety hazard.

Or tell the agent you plan to if they don't do something.

I’ve not mentioned anything ‘legal’ in my email to them as I’m hopeful they will understand for themselves why the repairs are needed but I can see how I’ll probably have to do that in the end. Not sure if I understand why these people decided to become agents/landlords if they don’t care about fairness and the welfare of all parties involved.

Comment

Not sure if I understand why these people decided to become agents/landlords if they don’t care about fairness and the welfare of all parties involved.
            Almost no one plans to be an agent or landlord, almost everyone drifts into it through looking for a job or finding themselves with a "spare" property for some reason.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I'm very concerned about the poly tiles. They are very dangerous in a fire if they've not been put on correctly. They should be glued all over the back, but they were often attached using five blobs of glue. What happens with the five blobs method is, in a fire is the flames swoosh under the tile and the flaming ceiling all falls down spreading the fire around.

Comment

Oh lord, this sounds absolutely terrifying!!! they’re in absolutely every room and are starting to come off in multiple rooms.....

Comment

Oh lord, this sounds absolutely terrifying!!! they’re in absolutely every room and are starting to come off in multiple rooms.....
                  Don't be too terrified, no one's planning to have a fire!

Comment

As jpkeates says - no one's planning to have a fire! I wouldn't light any candles though.

I had poly tiles in one of my bedrooms when I moved in and they were the 5 blob kind so we removed them all and this left a scarred ceiling which were able to paper over.

Comment

Let's see how the agent responds.
                      That's going to determine what the next course of action is.

Comment

Let's see how the agent responds.
                        That's going to determine what the next course of action is.

Ran a quick search for the property on the latest public register of HMOs published by the council and property is not on there (but is an HMO!).. so I guess that’s why they never do any of the larger repairs, the Freeholder probably doesn’t know the flat is being rented out so they can’t ask for consent for anything major like retiling etc..

Comment

Hang on, it's an HMO, when did that happen?

The rules for HMOs are very different.

Comment

Hang on, it's an HMO, when did that happen?

The rules for HMOs are very different.

Do you mean the tiles falling off? for the toilet I am not sure, the tenant before me was there almost a year and half. I’ve only moved in recently. But from what I understand no one has ever really bothered asking for repairs when needed, which I think is wrong, because even if the landlord/letting agent decides not to conduct repairs, we can’t be accused of having broken the terms of our contract if we report everything. So that’s what I have been doing since moving in, documenting every detail and reporting everything. But apparently there’s also a very high turnover, so that might also explain why no one has ever bothered.

Flat has always been an HMO from what I can gather. But now I am tempted to go into full investigative mode and call the deposit protection schemes etc. to enquire about our deposits and see what else is going wrong.

Comment

I meant when was it revealed to us (on the forum) that the property was an HMO.

HMOs have a mandatory requirement to have a fire risk assessment and there doesn't seem any way that the ceiling tiles would pass that.

Why do you think it's an HMO that's rare for a flat?

How many people live there and how many of them live "together"?

Comment

Have you heard anything back from the agent that you emailed yesterday?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X