small claim court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

small claim court

My tenant owes me rent. I read about this small amount claim court. Anyone here has made such claim and successfully got money back ? Thanks for your attention.

It's unlikely to get any money back from a T (especially, if they don't work and have no assets), the best you can get is a CCJ against them, so that they find it hard to find another place in the future.

Comment

I have found that a Letter Before Claim often produces results, and if that doesn't then a court hearing should (in theory). No guarantees, though.

I would say pursue it in any case. Effective functioning of the market relies on participants being held to their obligations.
      There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

I’ve gone down the Money Claim Online (MCOL) route. Tenant unresponsive on all stages (pre action letter, claim issued, offer to withdraw proceedings if T moves out, judgement entered). Got County Court Judgement now, gave T two weeks to pay before transferring up to high court and getting writ to control his goods for High Court Enforcement Officer to execute (there are companies who’ll arrange it all for you and add costs to T’s bill but in any case HCEO won’t go out until August 23 due to COVID-19 Bill). CCJ will stay ok his record for 6years so provided he wants any credit in that timeframe it will be declined and he’ll need to go back to you and pay if say he wants a mortgage or phone on contract. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by George V View Post
          I’ve gone down the Money Claim Online (MCOL) route. Tenant unresponsive on all stages (pre action letter, claim issued, offer to withdraw proceedings if T moves out, judgement entered). Got County Court Judgement now, gave T two weeks to pay before transferring up to high court and getting writ to control his goods for High Court Enforcement Officer to execute (there are companies who’ll arrange it all for you and add costs to T’s bill but in any case HCEO won’t go out until August 23 due to COVID-19 Bill). CCJ will stay ok his record for 6years so provided he wants any credit in that timeframe it will be declined and he’ll need to go back to you and pay if say he wants a mortgage or phone on contract. Good luck.
          Thanks for sharing your experience. How long did it take to get the CCJ?

Comment

I had a similar one - had a (non rent) business debt, did money claim online, person admitted debt and offered a stupid £5 a week which I refused. Had a physical hearing and was awarded the full amount. He did not pay - I put a charge on his house (he was a home owner) and went down the High Court Enforcement route. They managed to get £100 a month out of him which was paid every month until suddenly the full balance was paid recently as he wanted to sell his house. Result and worth sticking with it.
            Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by Uklondoner View Post

Thanks for sharing your experience. How long did it take to get the CCJ?
              Around 20days in total (5 for notice to arrive at his door + 14 for his non-answer +1 day and you can apply for judgement, which was entered a day later) but I had government gateway account already set up. If you haven’t you have to factor this in (back when I set it up they sent password and login via separate surface mail letters).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X