Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashback1966
    replied
    You need to find out more about this conversion. Did they have the pipes split by the water company?. That involves digging the front of the garden and may be the pavement. Also, it may be a local water supply issue. Speak to the neighbours to the left and right. They may have to install a water booster, but they can be noisy. The best solution is digging up the road. The water company, do tend to shirk their duty.

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    Interesting option regarding the bigger supply pipe. I dont know whether that would require some pressure regulation within each flat though.

Leave a comment:

• slooky
    replied
    hedges aside...LOL
    We have a similar situation in our building. I spoke to severn trent and I was told that when the building was converted into flats each flat should have had a seperate supply. They were also confused because they said water meters should never have been fitted in each flat because they didn't have their own supply. Conversion was done before my time.
    As an alternative to putting an individual supply into each flat we were told we could apply for a larger diameter supply pipe to the property which should help. But we haven't got any further than that (no-one has ever complained)

Leave a comment:

• Section20z
    replied
    I'm seriously confused. I haven't even got a hedge

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    I'm slightly confused.

The responsibility for the supplier for water pipes ends when the pipe comes onto your property.
    I suspect that's where the stopcock is that they're talking about.

There's a stop cock next to the meter when the water comes under my border hedge.
    I imagine that's the one that they own, rather than the stopcock in the kitchen.

Leave a comment:

• Section20z
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    Why do you do that?
    Now - for the sheer joy of getting away with breaking the law.
    previously - regularly turning stop cock prevents seizure, prevents winter floods in vacant properties and is particularly useful when working on the water system
    In fact my AST's make a point of advising tenants where the main water valve is, but I better cease or could be accused of aiding and abetting tap turning­čśü

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Why do you do that?

Leave a comment:

• Section20z
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    If the stop cock is connected to the main supply (i.e. it belongs to the water company, not simply an internal mechanism to split the supply) it's an offence under the Water Industry Act 1991 s174
    I turn mine off frequently - should I hand myself in now ?

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    If the stop cock is connected to the main supply (i.e. it belongs to the water company, not simply an internal mechanism to split the supply) it's an offence under the Water Industry Act 1991 s174

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by mariner View Post
    Citation please?
    I have none.
    I could be wrong; I often am.

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    Citation please?

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by Section20z View Post
    Find the stop cocks and turn the other 3 down slightly
    I believe that is illegal

Leave a comment:

• Section20z
    replied
    Find the stop cocks and turn the other 3 down slightly

Leave a comment:

• ash72
    replied
    Another option (still not cheap to do - and only for hot water), is to install a water cylinders to each of the flats so reduces the demand on the whole water system when everyone else is trying to use it at the same time, this wouldn't help for the cold water supply if a number of appliances are consuming the water at the same time (washing machines, dishwashers and electric showers).

Leave a comment:

• dowdtw
    replied
    You're right, we've done digging on how much this will cost and we're quoted around the 7-10k mark. Gas and electricity is split for each flat. We pay a fixed amount for the size of the flat for water.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X