Temperamental Water Supply in Flat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperamental Water Supply in Flat.

Hi. I rent in London in a converted house which is now 4 separate flats.

We get temperamental water supply into our flat. This is caused when other flats within the converted block are using water. Sometimes, little water, other times none at all. We have approached the landlord and letting agent a number of times about this, to try and get something done. It's become apparent that this was a known issue with the flat as previous tenants have complained before moving out.

Do we have a case for more formal approaches, does this break the tenancy agreement or is this a like it or lump it situation?

Thanks.

Originally posted by dowdtw View Post
    Do we have a case for more formal approaches
    Not sure what you mean by that.
    If you mean formally complain in writing, no reason not to.
    does this break the tenancy agreement
    No.
    ]or is this a like it or lump it situation?
    Equalising the pressure in a converted building sounds like a big job requiring replumbing (not an expert, someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
    If so, you'd all probably have to move out for a while.

If it's only been resolved by other people leaving, yes, it's (in reality, however unfair) like it or lump it.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Call Thames water

Comment

Each flat need sto be fitted with a simple flow restricter on the cold supply.inlet.

Comment

Its likely that the single supply to the original building was never changed when it was converted. This is not uncommon and would mean that a new supply would be required to your flat. This can sometimes be done with a modest amount of disruption using flexible mains water pipes. I paid £400 to have this done in a victorian house conversion in 2014. You wojld have to persuade the landlord though unless its a sanitation hazard, in which case call in a local Environmental Health officer

Comment

Hi. Thank you for your responses. We've had Thames Water out and they've replaced pieces of pipe to try and increase the water flow into the flat. But ultimately as DPT57 mentioned they didnt change the single supply into the flat when they were converted. Unfortunately I dont think it's a big enough inconvenience for the other members of the block to move out and fit a new supply pipe.

Appreciate the help here.

Comment

Who is paying for the use of the water? When it was converted they should have split the main supply from outside for each flat, this is costly, roughly around 7k.

Are the other utilities split (Gas/elec)?

Comment

You're right, we've done digging on how much this will cost and we're quoted around the 7-10k mark. Gas and electricity is split for each flat. We pay a fixed amount for the size of the flat for water.

Comment

Another option (still not cheap to do - and only for hot water), is to install a water cylinders to each of the flats so reduces the demand on the whole water system when everyone else is trying to use it at the same time, this wouldn't help for the cold water supply if a number of appliances are consuming the water at the same time (washing machines, dishwashers and electric showers).

Comment

Find the stop cocks and turn the other 3 down slightly

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
                      Find the stop cocks and turn the other 3 down slightly
                      I believe that is illegal

Comment

Citation please?

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
                          Citation please?
                          I have none.
                          I could be wrong; I often am.

Comment

If the stop cock is connected to the main supply (i.e. it belongs to the water company, not simply an internal mechanism to split the supply) it's an offence under the Water Industry Act 1991 s174
                            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                              If the stop cock is connected to the main supply (i.e. it belongs to the water company, not simply an internal mechanism to split the supply) it's an offence under the Water Industry Act 1991 s174
                              I turn mine off frequently - should I hand myself in now ?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X