Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChrisDennison
    replied
    Thanks MdeB, I wasn’t aware this had finally reached the CoA but as it states there, still far from clear. I think in this case here it’s fairly clear that no GSC existed (perhaps ever) - but I guess taking this case to the CoA again might be pushing things too much

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisDennison View Post
    Well, it sounds like she didn't hand you over a valid gas safety certificate when you moved in? If so then she cannot serve a valid s21 notice.
    That is no longer the case (https://nearlylegal.co.uk/2020/06/th...ell-conundrum/), unless (perhaps) there was no valid GSC when the tenancy started.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisDennison
    replied
    Well, it sounds like she didn't hand you over a valid gas safety certificate when you moved in? If so then she cannot serve a valid s21 notice. Also, it sounds like she hasn't provided the deposit protection that is needed, so again no valid s21. But I'm not sure whether you staying at this place is in your interest?

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    She may also not serve a valid s21 notice first time either as I would be surprised if all the pre-requisites have been complied with

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    At the moment a s21 notice would give you three month's notice (and the courts aren't hearing any cases at all until 23rd August (closed since March) - so there will be a colossal backlog.

So, even if she does give notice, it's going to be months before you absolutely have to move out.

And, if the issues aren't addressed, you should probably move anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Mrae29
    replied
    Thank you for advice everyone. We have messaged our landlord and told her that we were adviced by my father that we need to have the place have a health assessment due to the condition of the walls. She finally responded after that saying that she will have a builder look at it and that maybe we should leave. We are now fearful that she willas pull the section 21 notice to kick us out so she can just cover up the mess and rent it out to someone else who don't know any better. Does she have any right to so so?

Leave a comment:

• ChrisDennison
    replied
    This sounds like you’ve already found the problem. If the gutters don’t work then water runs down the wall and into it, and penetrates it causing damp.

This needs professional treatment and if I were you I wouldn’t touch any of this, otherwise the landlord might well want to turn round and blame you.

And if you haven’t received gas certificates and deposit protection documentation then you already know you’re dealing with a landlord who doesn’t know their arse from their elbow.

Give her an ultimatum to fix this and start looking for a more professionally managed place to live.

Leave a comment:

• Mrae29
    replied
    Originally posted by MdeB View Post
    You mention moving furniture around. Is this a furnished let?

What do the walls look like on the outside of the house? Is there evidence of wet on them?
    No it was unfurnished. We moved furniture around because the other tenants have moved out and we decided to move our daughters next to our bedroom. After we moved some of their furniture which they left behind we saw the mould and the paper peeling off. The wall on the outside looks alright. However there is a gutter right next to the window of that room, and I have observed that plants have started to grow on the gutters which is causing leaks right against that wall where I've taken pictures. It's now summer so I was surprised that there is still some mould left to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    You mention moving furniture around. Is this a furnished let?

What do the walls look like on the outside of the house? Is there evidence of wet on them?

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    Just find somewhere else to live

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    Clearly i am a landlord and not a doctor but i would not be happy for any of my children living in a room covered with what i see in that picture, As stated above the LL really needs to visit or send a trades person and rectify what is happening here, hands off landlords are all great when they own and rent out a perfect property but like all things....... things can go wrong. She needs to make contact with you and all parties need to come up with a plan to sort this out after a trades '' bod '' has looked at it.

Leave a comment:

• Mrae29
    replied
    It's all powdery as well so should I move my daughter out of the room?

Leave a comment:

• Mrae29
    replied
    Originally posted by mariner View Post
    When was the last (move-in) inspection carried out by LL?
    What is the likely cause of the damp?
    Sounds like penetrating damp/poruous bricks. If so, LL to rectify, but you may have to vacate.
    Suggest to LL she undertakes some LL training modules with NLA/RLA.
    You are ultimately resp for your childrens health.
    I don't think LL has ever done a check in. We've moved plenty of times, and dealt with agency. I told all of us to protect ourselves by taking pictures of our check in so she can't pin point blame on us once we move out. I sent her the pictures when we moved in thinking I did her a favour. She messaged me demanding to stop and asking what in the world I was thinking by sending them out. I knew then and there that were going to run to problems if we ever need something fixing. So I don't really contact her for anything. She did also did say that she had inherited the house from her dad when he passed away. So she became a LL by accident it seems.

Anyway, the mould I believe was from damp. And from what the wall look like to me, is that there's a leak that's been there for a good good amount of time now for it to have stained the wall.

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    When was the last (move-in) inspection carried out by LL?
    What is the likely cause of the damp?
    Sounds like penetrating damp/poruous bricks. If so, LL to rectify, but you may have to vacate.
    Suggest to LL she undertakes some LL training modules with NLA/RLA.
    You are ultimately resp for your childrens health.

Leave a comment:

• Mrae29
    started a topic Whose responsible for the repairs?

Whose responsible for the repairs?

We moved into a private let property last August 26th into a house with some of our friends, they moved out towards the end of our 6 month contract with our landlady. Our landlord lives miles and miles away and has visited us once, when we moved into her house.

My husband and I knew that our landlord is somewhat flaky. She changes her word every time we have any communication with her via whatsapp. But I always tried to be the peace maker and just please her as finding a private landlord is hard to find these days.
    To the point- when our friends moved out last February we moved our daughters room into one of the rooms occupied by the other tenant. I informed our LL (Landlady) about the amount of mould we found on the walls in the former tenants rooms and I offered to clean it and maintain to keep the mould away and so I did. After a couple of days of moving furniture around, I noticed that the wallpapers were bubbling and some were peeling off the walls. I looked behind and it was covered in mould. I contacted my LL straight away asking for permission if I could remove the wallpaper as I noticed that the back of them were filled with mould, she was worried and agreed - also offered to come visit to see what damage it could be underneath all those old wallpapers. I was optimistic and said "I'm sure it isn't too bad" and asked if it's ok if we remove all them so we could just paint and not worry about mould being hidden behind paper. She said yes.

Unfortunately due to family crisis we had to postpone our daughters rooms. With the lock down upon us, and less activities outside our house we were finally able to tackle the walls. My husband has taken off wallpapers around one corner and the sight to behold got me sitting there thinking. There were plenty of lining/wallpaper left on the walls. However the side where there were mould clearly has discolouration. You can see at the bottom of the wall a grey-ish white stain with patches of mild green colouring which I assume are from water damage. Also at the corner of the walls are cracks from the ceiling to the floor. The walls are crumbly too - powdery like. I told my hubby that I think that the wall needs plastering and I was happy to figure out how to do it. But he insist that surely it should be LL's job as the whole room needs doing and plus its going to cost us a lot of money and time.
    I hesitated at first as I told my LL that we were suppose to just paint on the walls instead but with my perfectionist trait, I would like to plaster those walls myself. But having children in the house and only having help in the evenings and weekends when my hubby is home from work, it's going to take a while. So I gave him the thumbs up for him to let her know what we found, if she says its our responsibility then at least we know where we stand. Hubby was already contacting her about leaks in the kitchen which was still not fixed (coming to 4 weeks now) and so he messages her about it and the wall too saying it needs to be plastered before we can paint it.

LL still hasnt replied to his messages and its been a week. She normally responds quite quickly. We dont know what to do, is it her job or ours? If I can attach a picture tomorrow, i'll post it here so everyone can see what I'm on about.
    I don't contact her anymore as she pushes me around and just walks all over me- so I've handed it over to my husband to deal with lol.

Another thing, my husband and I realised not long ago that our landlord never gave us any gas certificate or any certificate for our deposit. Is this something we should be concerned about? Also, is it safe for my kids to sleep in that room?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X