Joint Contract & arrears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint Contract & arrears

I have a hypothetical situation which I would like some thoughts on.

Three persons, on a joint and several contract. Deposit the same as a months rent, protected by the DPS. Rent split equally between the three tenants, let's say £100 x 3.

One tenant stops paying their £100 for the final two months of the contract. Could the £200 be taken from the deposit (which is £300 split between them all) and then leave the remaining two tenants to recover it from the tenant in arrears in the small claims court?

Clauses in the AST: The T says the deposit as security for the performance of the T obligations and to compensation thw LL for any breach of those obligatiosn.

I'm sure there is a definitive answer to this, but I'm afraid I don't know it!

Kind regards,

John

Yes, to third paragraph. There is ONE letting, albeit to three people forming 'the Tenant' so there's ONE deposit. L can claim arrears against it.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      Yes, to third paragraph. There is ONE letting, albeit to three people forming 'the Tenant' so there's ONE deposit. L can claim arrears against it.
      Hi Jeffrey,

Thank you for that -much appreciated.

Kind regards,

John

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X