Tenant with allegations made against them

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tenant with allegations made against them

    We rent a property to a friend. She's always been an individual and has her own sense of style. Her boyfriend is also has an individual sense of style. She changes her hair constantly . It's pink .. he had dreadlocks (recently chopped).

    ​​​​​​The house we rent is in a village. The surrounding neighbours have taken exception to them being in the property. (When we lived there they had issues with us. Being reclusive .. I'm a nurse who does nights).

    The lastest allegations relates to drug offenses. That the police have stormed the property. That the children are constantly left alone. All untrue. We have been in the property. Everything is as it should be. My husband has been in the house serveral times for repairs and we're constantly on skype.

    My friend is pregnant and frankly I view this as malicious gossip. I can only imagine what could arise if social services were called with baby in the house. Especially as there have been mental health issues in the past.

    ​​​​​​I have said I'll look into seeing if there's a way as a landlord that I can see if there's a police presence in the household . As a friend I'm really concerned this could lead to interventions that she doesn't need.

    ​​​​​​Any suggestions as to what I can do so I can provide factual evidence that will put this to bed rather than let the local gossips run wild.

    It's a neighbour dispute, avoid involvement if possible refer neighbours and tenant to CaB guidance on such disputes.

    If neighbour insists on continuing to bother you over this request they buy their complaints in writing then review and decide what to do.

    Neighbours can be cheapest insurance a Landlord can get but these ones sound like loonies
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      There's nothing special you can do as a landlord.

      Well, you could get an "Ex-Offender Rehoming Service" sign made for your car and park in the village and tell people that the couple are thinking of subletting to your organisation because they feel unwelcome.
      But that probably won't work outside a sitcom.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        Thank you both for replying. I'm a fairly experienced landlord and used to work as a letting agent myself. This has got me stuck.

        I'd do the same fo any tenant ..who is obviously innocent .. we had do do the same 4 years ago for a gay couple who moved in .. however the allegations weren't as bad


          Are there really villages still like this? Is it one neighbour or multiple? If you are certain that the allegations are baseless then I would report them to the Police as malicious communication.


            DPT57 seriously .. though after digging for an hour one I the accusations is that my tenant has had a relationship with the main accusers son .. I'm taking a step back 😂😂


              Stay out of it, they are independent adults who can no doubt handle this themselves. The world is full of small minded people and you can not fight them all, fight the battles that affect YOU or your family.


              Latest Activity