Evictions are now banned until the end of August.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been very disappointing as well that government were not able to differentiate between investment landlords and professional landlords who do this as their day job. I have been paying tax on my profits for 30 years. But no self employment scheme help, no bounce back loan for sole traders. We have already been hit by large tax rises in the last 5 years. The loss of wear and tare and not being able to claim mortgage interest if you are a top tax payer. But as has been said above. We have to shoulder all the debt. The mortgage holiday has been a bonus I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      I would suggest that people with arrears and problem tenants serve notices under s8 rather than rely on s21, as I can imagine that priority might be given to fault based cases.
      That's a very good point.

Its hard not to think that the Government's response to this has as much to do with their housing policy as it does with Coronavirus. They've been using behavioural economics for a few years now to gradually 'nudge' landlords out of the market and increase the number of owner occupiers. The end of this crisis could see a flood of properties coming onto the market and depressing prices, making them more affordable for first time buyers.

Comment

Originally posted by davidmartin_uk View Post
        The mortgage holiday has been a bonus I suppose.
        This is a double edged sword i think, i can see those of us who take this option may find some lenders do not look upon us with kindness. The tenants have all the cards at the moment and with the left wing in full flow i can not see this changing anytime soon, i think a lot of single property landlords leaving the sector when they can and not coming back, overall the tenants will pay in the end with fewer properties, higher rents and a checking system which excludes those claiming benefits (which is how i operate).

Comment

I think they have tried to coincide it with the mortgage holidays period which perhaps even till October. But why is it not becoming mandatory where the tenant has to supply all the necessary documents such as letter from employer, latest bank statements to actually ascertain that whether they are affected from cvd19. Or the landlords be able to access those documents/information if the tenant is not providing the clear pictures.

Comment

I don’t expect the ban to finish in August. Nothing will change by then. Just more arrears, They will probably extend the ban again until 31st December and cancel all rent arrears. This is what Shelter wants. 3 months notice period will become 6 months. Maybe I am a pessimist.

Comment

They cannot introduce retrospective legislation to cancel rent arrears, it is contrary to article 6 and part 2 article 1 of the human rights act.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                Restarting the possession legal system might have to be gradual.
                I would suggest that people with arrears and problem tenants serve notices under s8 rather than rely on s21, as I can imagine that priority might be given to fault based cases.
                I was discussing this with a friend earlier, and am in complete agreement with you on this.
                Make sure everything is very well documented around the debt, and any communication, and plan on S8.

We have a feeling that S21 is going to either be gone or a long time coming back.

We are lucky, no problems with any of our tenants at the moment, good communication and everything being paid as it should

Comment

Originally posted by Kathleen20 View Post
                  It’s farcical ! Why not protect tenants by ensuring payments on UC or Furlough are made direct to Landlords where applicable . Scandalous that landlords are being asked to take up the debt while scum tenants freeload for months on end
                  Scum tenants? Perhaps you are in the wrong job.

Comment

This was to be expected.

Don't expect things to be BAU after this extension. The government has indicated that when evictions recommence, adequate protection will be given by the courts to tenants suffering hardship from the covid crisis.

LLs with non paying tenants would be well advised to refrain from anything that could be used as evidence of them playing hardball or disregarding any (genuine or not) covid related reasons for hardship. This could end up meaning a long haul in the courts.

The government has absolutely nothing to lose by the perception of being unfair to LLs, this is especially true in the context of the 2019 batch of Northern Tory MPs.

As for our LL votes, what are we going to do but vote Tory or sit it out?

Jenrick "We are also working with the judiciary on proposals to ensure that when evictions proceedings do recommence, arrangements, including rules, are in place to assist the court in giving appropriate protections for those who have been particularly affected by coronavirus – including those tenants who have been shielding."

Comment

Originally posted by LandlordJ View Post

As for our LL votes, what are we going to do but vote Tory or sit it out?
                      I don't vote on a single issue.
                      That is what got Trump elected.

Comment

Jenrick "We are also working with the judiciary on proposals to ensure that when evictions proceedings do recommence, arrangements, including rules, are in place to assist the court in giving appropriate protections for those who have been particularly affected by coronavirus – including those tenants who have been shielding."

What protection if somebody was shielding ? They won’t be ever evicted ? And not pay rent ! My tenant has already declared he was shielding due to his health issues.

Comment

If a tenant doesn't avail themselves of the support systems the government put in place (or did, but still didn't pay rent) I don't think any process is going to help them.
                          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Is it possible to submit both S21 and S8 ? In case something goes wrong with S21.

Comment

Yes - they're completely separate.
                              You can only escalate on of them to court at a time.
                              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I have an HMO with some elderly 70+ tenants who are being forced to live with drug dealing SCUM, who have trashed my property and feel its funny to crap in the washing machine etc and not paid rent since 19th December 2019.

My possession hearing was cancelled on the 24th March for a hearing on the 25th March as the Government announced no possessions on or after the 26th March, but told the Courts can cancel hearing at any time.

I can't protect 8 tenants in a house when 2 are carrying out criminal activity and the Police and local council are advising me not to visit property.

I've written to the Court twice to try and get a hearing or details as to when any can take place, (but no reply over a month ago) but this is a FUC*ing insult to the good tenants that I have that are all living in a Shi* hole as I can't do anything as when I last visited the property the DRUG scum threatened me, telling me to watch my back as I could be stabbed - but no Police attendance.

I've tried UC47 to get payments direct to me, but surprise surprise no response from UC or anyone from that department.

These SCUM are dealing drugs, shaking hands with anyone in the area then coming back with zero respect of social distances or the other tenants, whom are all worried about the situation.

Maybe Boris should spend a night living in what once was a nice HMO, but now is a potential Covid-19 Hotspot. He could even join in the BBQ's these scum have when setting light to my furniture in the front garden.

The Judges and Courts should have the power to be able to use their own Judgement when situations like this arise.

SO FUC*ed OFF

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X