Locks on doors (and can/must L or T change locks)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single letting of property- tenants want locks on doors

I am renting a house with some friends, it is a short term tenancy and we are all signing the one tenancy agreement (so from what I understand this is not a HMO, please correct me if I'm wrong)

We are not a single family unit, but as far as I can tell we are not multiple occupants.

The problem has arisen about a few people wanting to put locks on doors, we trust eachother etc but with people going on holidays, people being out and general everyday peace of mind, having locks on doors would be nice.

I can not seem to find the information I am looking for concerning having locks on rooms (not to lock like a front door, but mainly for privacy when you need it!)

I have enquired with the estate agent and was told that having locks is not possible because it is a safety hazard. I've had locks around me all my life and am still alive! So I am not very pleased with such an answer. What are the regulations on such a situation?

Could you please help me! Either pointing me in the right direction or informing me of what my options are.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by g73m View Post
      I am renting a house with some friends, it is a short term tenancy and we are all signing the one tenancy agreement (so from what I understand this is not a HMO, please correct me if I'm wrong)

We are not a single family unit, but as far as I can tell we are not multiple occupants.

There are more than one of you. Therefore you are multiple occupants. How many of you are sharing? If there are 5 or more over 3 stories or more it will require licensing. From memory I think Nottingham brought in licensing pre-housing act 2004 so they may have additional or selective licensing schemes (eg schemes that apply above and beyond the definition of housing act 2004 licensing).

The problem has arisen about a few people wanting to put locks on doors, we trust eachother etc but with people going on holidays, people being out and general everyday peace of mind, having locks on doors would be nice.

I can not seem to find the information I am looking for concerning having locks on rooms (not to lock like a front door, but mainly for privacy when you need it!)

I have enquired with the estate agent and was told that having locks is not possible because it is a safety hazard. I've had locks around me all my life and am still alive! So I am not very pleased with such an answer. What are the regulations on such a situation?

The landlord may or may not agree to you doing this. He could reasonably expect you to put the doors back as they were before you moved in. As for a fire risk, it is very unlikely the agent is an expert in this. A standard for HMOs is to have a lock that is openable from the inside without the use of a key. This is best done with a euro-profile mortice casing with a euro cylinder with thumb turn. It will also need new door handles to fit the euro cylinder. Cost is about £12 for the mortice casing and about £10-15 for the euro cylinder. About £10 for cheap handles and about £35 for fitting per door.

Could you please help me! Either pointing me in the right direction or informing me of what my options are.

Thanks.
      See my comments above in blue.

Comment

You need to ask your landlord whether s/he is willing to install locks. If the answer is no, then it's no.

If you installed locks without the landlord's permission, I bet you will be unable to put the doors and frames back as they were. Not recommended if you want your full deposit returned.

If locks are important to you, you should seek properties that already have locks and keys on bedroom doors.

Comment

Additionally, some councils also deem that locks on doors equates to separate living spaces and then chase the landlord for council tax on the common area (this is especially relevant for student lets).

I don't agree that this is legal, but getting and fighting a council tax demand for several Ks is not a nice experience. Going to court has resulted in mixed outcomes regarding this. To avoid this risk (as a landlord), I specify that all our student HMO accommodation (licensed/non-licensed) comes without internal room locks and a single tenancy contract that covers all tenants.

Comment

Thanks for the help

The council tax point is VERY interesting. I have NO trust whatsoever in my estate agent after all of the hastle I've had. She could have just said it was to do with seperate living areas and council tax but she fobbed locks off as a fire hazard... I don't see how its going to combust but whatever :P

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X