Peeling paint. Who is responsible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peeling paint. Who is responsible?

I'm renting a small basement flat and will be moving at the end of the tenancy soon.

There are damp issues in the flat with wet patches of wall in the kitchen and bedroom. These are visible in check-in report photos and noted in the report. We have brought it up with the letting agency during the tenancy.

Paint has peeled from the wall in this damp area in the bedroom.

​​​​​
    ​​​​Am I responsible for sorting this before I leave? The flat was painted before we moved in, though the damp was very obvious still.

How long have you been there?

Comment

No you're not responsible, take lots of pictures and leave as clean as possible. You may have to argue with deposit protection scheme before you get your money back.

Comment

We'll just have been here a year.

Comment

As long as you have documented the damp/ etc with the agent, you can dispute if they try to make you pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilburn View Post

We'll just have been here a year.
            I agree with others that you are not responsible.
            If you are somehow found responsible, then I would say your liability is limited to 4/5 original cost (I would expect a let property to need redecorating every 5 years).

Do not attempt to redecorate: LL could use that to say you did a bad job so the place needed redecorating because of it.

I presume that your deposit has been properly protected. so you can dispute any attempted deduction from your deposit and let them decide if you are liable. It is up to the landlord to prove, on balance of probabilities, that you are responsible, NOT for you to prove that you are not, so you would just need to submit what you have said above, plus dates and details of your communications regarding the issue, plus copies of the check-in photos and your explanation of how they show existing problem.

Comment

Also are you opening the windows and making sure the place is properly ventilated.?

Damp patches can be caused by tenants simply not opening windows when showering / cooking / during the day etc

BUT can also be from external factors eg leaking gutter, pipe etc which is not your fault , also good that it was mentioned on the check in .

If they do try to deduct money I would fight it, if it's been noted pre tenancy will be hard to prove after 1 year it's your fault

Comment

I dont think wet patches is condensation, i think the cavity is being breached, espcially with it being a basement. Needs proffessionals in to sort but no doubt they will just redecorate to try and hide it for the next tenant.

Comment

Agreed it does sound like the cavity is breached and needs probably to go back to brick , repair , plaster and then paint again .they probably wonder why they have high tenant turn over too !
                  this is a great example if landlords do the job properly these problems dont exist. No void etc

Anyway let us know how you go OP

Comment

Originally posted by blinko View Post
                    Also are you opening the windows and making sure the place is properly ventilated.?

Damp patches can be caused by tenants simply not opening windows when showering / cooking / during the day etc

BUT can also be from external factors eg leaking gutter, pipe etc which is not your fault , also good that it was mentioned on the check in .

If they do try to deduct money I would fight it, if it's been noted pre tenancy will be hard to prove after 1 year it's your fault
                    Yeah, we have been. We're windows always open sort of people!

The wet patches are in the check in pictures quite clearly, so it's not something caused by us.

A patch of wet has spread in the kitchen which we did report - an engineer was promised who never came!

Will leave the flaking paint and report back post check out in August!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X