Inventory never received

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inventory never received

I moved out of my rental place a week ago.
    When I moved in i realised in the paperwork there was no inventory. That same day I emailed the agent asking for an inventory and he emailed back saying that he would send over in a week or so. He never did. I also chased his colleague who ignored my email.

Fast forward now he is trying to claim for things that were wrong when I moved in. I said that this is the exact reason I wanted to have an inventory. He replied that he checked the property the week before before sent the inventory to me the next day (this would have been a friday - and I was collecting keys and signing paperwork on the Tuesday, it was also a bank holiday weekend that weekend!) I am obviously confident that this inventory is complete fabrication otherwise I’m sure he would have attached the document in the email or said then that he had sent it to me when I originally asked. Also no idea why he would have sent it when I was signing for the property the next working day?

where do I stand with this if an inventory suddenly appears from thin air?

If what you say is correct then I would stand your ground. Ask to see a copy of the inventory that you signed upon check in to compare it with the things they are now claiming for. If they can’t produce a copy of an inventory signed by you then the chances are that there never was one and they will have to accept that they made a mistake.

Comment

I would speak with the manager of the LA, if you get no join go to the redress scheme of the agent and state your claim/case.

Comment

Originally posted by Popops View Post
        now he is trying to claim for things that were wrong when I moved in.
        I presume that you are now leaving/have left.

Dispute the deductions via the deposit protection scheme.

Comment

This is a new innovative trick although a bit cheap one where either you were never be supplied with inventory check in report or were shown this report with very tiny pictures on it. The best antidote to defuse all falsified claims is to take the pictures with date & time of every single item and coroner of the property on the date you moved in prior to putting your belongings there. Also email the same pictures to them on same day with the advise to update the inventory report from their end. By adopting this precaution you will certainly be shielded from any false claim as its enough during the adjudication process. Moreover, same as the landlord gives the reference you are also entitled to leave your review, for which simply state your experience about that letting agent in Google reviews.

Comment

I don't think its a trick. Just incompetence. A landlord has to prove their case with a deposit scheme or court in order to justify deductions from the deposit. If they have no signed inventory or one where the evidence of condition is weak then it will seriously affect their claim. No inventory is usually a benefit for a tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
              I don't think its a trick. Just incompetence.
              Possibly.

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
              A landlord has to prove their case with a deposit scheme or court in order to justify deductions from the deposit. If they have no signed inventory or one where the evidence of condition is weak then it will seriously affect their claim. No inventory is usually a benefit for a tenant.
              That is effectively the position in practice. I have explained the strict legal position elsewhere.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X