getting evicted - but no paperwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes some courts in England have opened, some are also doing video courts.

Comment

Jon66: No, that's not the way it was. I reported disrepair time and time again, one leak was from 2015 and still not fixed now in 2020. I fell into rent arrears when the landlord refused to do anything about the dangerous bath. For the past 10 years previously, I paid the rent on time, every time. The inescapable question should be: as a landlord, would you pay for (or even live in) a property with roof leaks, bath leaks, mould and damp up the wall, rat infestation, ivy, no proper lock, a porch which drips rainwater everytime it rains. Would you? Really? Would you keep paying rent even if you had complained and documented it by email? Really?

Theartfullodger: your response and attitude is woeful. I didn't ask for sarcasm, I hate being in this situation and would do anything not to owe rent arrears or being evicted. No doubt you think I'm a benefit fraud and deserve everything I get. Corbin's benefit-scrounging scum? I'm not actually. I did everything I could to pay the rent for 10 years and be a good tenant despite these disrepair problems. So please jump down from your high horse. Not everyone is a tenant with no morals.

JPkeates: thank you for your straightforward reply, which I really appreciate.

Comment

People who are writing here try to find support. We don’t know the full story or their life. It is better to be kind.

Comment

I have tried to set out my problems in a non-emotional way and have received sarcastic responses.
          I would do ANYTHING not to be in this situation. I would do all the work I could to repay the rent arrears. However, the fact remains, the disrepair pre-dates the rent arrears by about 6 years.
          My landlord, btw, has three houses, and a yacht and jets off to Bali. In stark contrast, I'm on disability benefits and my illness has been made a lot worse because of all of this.

Comment

I am sure there will be no hearing. Can your landlord give you details ? Maybe it is small court hearing ?

Comment

I don't know what to think.. I haven't received Court papers from anyone, let alone a Small Claims Hearing for unpaid rent. Surely the Court would have written to me, yet there has been absolutely nothing. Is it possible for a Landlord to take me to Court for unpaid rent at this stage when I'm still in the property and disputing I owe them full rent due to disrepair? I haven't received anything from the Court. Not a single communication. It could be that the post wasn't delivered, but I find it odd that the landlord's solicitors emailed me today to advise that there is a hearing next week and I haven't been advised of a single thing until this afternoon. I would have most certainly responded to any Court papers and defended them. I'm ill with worry.

Comment

Who has been sarcastic, I can't see any sarcastic responses? If you seek advice on a public forum you will receive an array of responses.

The fact is, there is a way of dealing with disrepair issues, the law exists, but you have stopped paying rent and don't appear to have sought help to deal with the issues through environmental health, shelter or cab, or a law centre, in more than six years. You have chosen to not pay your rent. You have been given pretty good advice on here from a few people, and saying your landlord has 3 houses, a yacht and jets off to Bali is nothing to do with you.

Comment

Contact the court and ask them.

Comment

Jon66: there were sarcastic responses from a person further up. It's there to read.
                    I did contact CAB and my local council. I told my landlord in 2014 there was a leak, nothing done. Same again in 2017, 2018. Told in 2019 bath tub was dangerous, don't bath, nothing done by LL. At that same time, LL was on holiday on his yacht in Bali whilst I had not heating during the coldest day in November with rain coming through the roof. There's a difference between my own circs and those of the Landlord. Granted there are two sides to every story.

Can my Landlord get a money judgement against me at this stage?

Comment

Yes if they have claimed for it, but it depends on what basis the possession proceedings are made. I don't think there was sarcasm, just a character. Artfuls comment re benefits is referring to himself, and he gave good advice re shelter. And some landlords are bad we know that, but I'm not one of the bad ones. And I have a yacht.

Comment

Originally posted by beryl View Post
                        Can my Landlord get a money judgement against me at this stage?
                        Yes, the courts are still just about functioning, so a money claim is still possible, if unlikely.
                        If a landlord came here seeking advice about a tenant in arrears, I would suggest a money claim rather than a possession claim, in the first instance.

However, tou should still receive court papers before any hearing.

And any money claim would have no impact on the possession of the property.

Why do you think there's a hearing?
                        Who told you there was a hearing?
                        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Op said the landlord's solicitor emailed her.

Comment

Solicitors have a code of practice.
                            They can't conjure possession hearings out of thin air.
                            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Unless it's a money claim? They are being heard at some courts as can come under priority 2 civil claims . I think op hasn't understood quite what's happening, but no paperwork doesn't help.

Comment

If it is money claim then why the landlord is saying to Beryl that there is a hearing about Beryl's eviction ? Beryl needs to get in touch with the solicitor. Something is not right here.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X