X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Leak

Hi,

Can someone help with this please?

I have a tenant that gave their notice and during the notice they discovered a gas Leak. When I got someone to go down and look the property was empty.

Now they are claiming they want the last 12 days rent returned as they had to move due to the leak, however they never surrendered the keys.

Should I just cut my losses and return the rent or do I have a case as I did not have access to the property?

Thanks

Personally I'd refund something, rather than get into an argument.
    If it was actually a gas leak, someone should have been there within a day to cut off the supply - I appreciate there's a pandemic happening, but British Gas would still have been there.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The supply was cut off immediately by the suppliera and soon as I was notified I responded with getting someone out to investigate.

To be honest, the money isn't really the issue. I'm just annoyed at how things were done.

Thanks for your input

Comment

How long did it take for someone to get there after it was reported? Just wondering if they're trying it on. Assuming they had furniture to move it rakes a little time to organise.

Comment

The plumber tried to get access the following day but they wouldn't respond and only got access about 3/4 days later.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobssy View Post
            The plumber tried to get access the following day but they wouldn't respond and only got access about 3/4 days later.
            Then my view would be no refund because they did not facilitate access to rectify the fault (and I think there is no legal basis for them to be entitled to a refund).

Out of interest, what did the gas man say caused the leak?
            Was it damage by the T?

Comment

No, there was a leak in the gas pipe which runs under a concrete floor. He just put it down to corrosion over the years and has now installed a new gas run

Comment

Under the tenant act you can charge them for the replacement locks and keys since they haven't returned the keys back. I wouldn't refund it until the deposit is sorted out (if there was one), and then only offer the period between you gaining access onward as a compromise.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X