Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serving notice

Hello Members,

I find myself in a rather difficult situation. I rent out my property to four individuals on separate AST's.
    My most recent tenant has been causing issues in the property, constantly argumentative, belittling and offensive comments.
    All three tenants have individually complained.
    I have not been in this situation before, but I would like to request she leaves.
    Her AST is for one year can I give the tenant a one month notice to leave based on these complaints?

Thanking you in advance.

You can give such notice.
    It will not be legally enforceable, T may not know that, and leave.

Comment

Have you spoken to her about her behaviour?

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
        You can give such notice.
        It will not be legally enforceable, T may not know that, and leave.
        I would be open to explore that, just wanted to see if it would land me in any trouble

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
          Have you spoken to her about her behaviour?
          I have, she is very difficult to communicate with and raises her voice, I almost feel sorry for other tenants. During the vetting period she came across fine

Comment

When did her fixed Term commence?

Comment

Hello,
              Her contract commenced on the 27/03/2020

Comment

If anything she has done has breached a term of her tenancy agreement, you can serve notice.
                But there is currently no access to a court to escalate the issue if she declines to leave in line with it.
                Even with access to a court, a judge may decline to evict.

You could pay her to go.

In future, I would not give a 12 months agreement, stick to six months.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for your advice. My rent protection insurance is not valid on a 6 month contract. However, I will next time look into doing a one year contact with a 6 month break clause.

Comment

I wouldnt recommend that as 6 month break clauses are difficult to get right. Perhaps just ditch the guarantee insurance.

Comment

Why on earth would an insurer offering rent protection want a longer than necessary lease?
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Update, thankfully she has left the property. Key learnings: ALWAYS have a six month break clause

Comment

For the future, if you have a nuisance tenant like this, ensure the neighbours report her to the police for anti-social behaviour. You can then threaten eviction under Section 8 Ground 14 (anti-social behaviour) if they keep stepping out. As it's only a discretionary ground it would be slightly uphill to convince a Judge to evict, but they don't know that - and usually, not always, it makes them quiet down.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I will keep that in mind should any one else step out of line.

Comment

Originally posted by landlord911 View Post
                              Key learnings: ALWAYS have a six month break clause
                              No.
                              Break clauses are difficult to get right and only benefit letting agents.

6 month tenancy is the way to go.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X