Having trouble with Energy Supplier connecting new Tenant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having trouble with Energy Supplier connecting new Tenant.

I 'm having a bit of a nightmare with an Energy Supplier.

Previous Tenants Husband (not on the AST) set up the Energy bills. They were struggling to pay the rent so I persuaded them to leave. They left with unpaid utility bills which they are responsible for with debts of the bills £1000+. The Electricity was also cut-off.

I have a new tenant and so tried to re-connect the Electricity for them.

So far over the phone with the energy supplier i've had:

1) "Sorry your new Tenant needs to call and setup."
    2) "Sorry the Landlord needs to call and setup"
    3) "We will setup for the new tenants move in date." (provided AST to Energy company).

However I arrived on check in day with the new tenant with no electricity.

4) Called again and was told "Sorry the previous Tenants bills need to be settled first".
    5) They eventually sent out an emergency Engineer who informed me "Sorry we need permission from another flat as the meter uses the same fuse, call back for another appointment."

I'm going around in circles with them, meanwhile my new Tenant has no electricity or Hot Water because of this. New providers will not setup as they tell me the electricity needs to be connected by the current supplier first before changing over.

I will send in a complaint however I really need to get my new tenant electricity quickly. Any ideas?

Your property has to pay the previous bill, unfortunately.

The energy company, in good faith, supplied electricity to previous tenant, but have not been paid.
    Now a request has been made to supply MORE electric without paying for previous use.

Sorry, SOMEONE has to pay the previous bill. you CAN understand that

I was in the same situation. Got into the flat and electric Co. would not reconnect until I ( or someone ) paid the £ 60 arrears, and that meant feeding a prepaid meter with cards till it allowed electric to flow again.
    The landlord refused to get involved.
    However, they did offer a refund once they were getting paid on a regular basis.

Therefore, I suggest it's the tenant that pays it off, and possibly they will offer him a rebate down the line ( after say 3 months.)
    You cant pay off the debt and get a refund, as you are not their customer, and YOU will not get any refund so do not pay off the debt, then find out the tenant got a refund as well.

Explain above and hope tenant sees this is the only way to be fair to all parties.

Comment

BIT if the previous tenant refuses to pay this leaves current tenant in very difficult position.

Could he simply say the property is uninhabitable and I'm not paying rent until it is, I certainly would and a judge would

The fact that your landlord refuses to get involved indicates to me they are useless so eventually something else will go wrong and they will probably adopt the same useless approach but what can you do .......

The landlord would've been responsible for the utilities between tenant change over so theoretically it's his liability although I assume he has settled his debt.

Hope you manage to get it sorted

Comment

If everything was set up properly then the debt should follow the tenant, not the property. You should keep pushing this and ask for compensation for poor service.

Comment

British gas by any chance? Ring the energy ombudsman. The house doesn't have a debt, the previous tenant does and they can't make you liable for his debt. I bought a property at auction, previous owner had scarpered owing over £1000. Whenever I put money in the meter they nicked half of it to pay his debt. Three times they promised to sort it out but didn't. The fourth time I rang the ombudsman and it was sorted the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
            If everything was set up properly then the debt should follow the tenant, not the property. You should keep pushing this and ask for compensation for poor service.
            I thought this was the only way to view it...... its not the landlords or the properties debt, so it is totally unfair to excepted anyone but the previous delinquent tenant to pay. What about the ombudsman ? if this is the way some suppliers view it then all of us need to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
              Write directly to the MD (or whatever the top executive is called), stating what has happened and what you want them to do.
              In my experience this gets a quicker response than going through the "customer service" channels.

Comment

If the tenant had a child and a complaint was made to social services they would instruct the utility companies to immediately connect the property. (I had an employee who bypassed his electricity meter and the electric company turned up and removed the meter and terminated the supply. |The following day a call to social services saying that a child was in the property immediately had the electricity reenstated.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X