Advice on dealing with neighbor noise during COVID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on dealing with neighbor noise during COVID

I moved into a new flat just over a month ago and now am experiencing a lot of noise from upstairs. The noise ranges from noisy pipes, loud walking/thumping, banging on walls, closing of doors/cabinets. Ive also invested in earplugs and a sleep machine which helps slightly but still end up getting disturbed by banging/vibrations in my flat at all hours.

It could be a case that the upstairs neighbor is not aware that the noise is transmitting to my flat but I'm not sure how to approach the neighbor about it. We are still in social distance mode here and do not want to invade their space. I though about writing a letter but I don't want to come across rude. Anyone have any advice here?

Also my lease contract is for 18 months however if there's no resolution to the noise do i have any other options?

Going for your last question first, the only person who can answer that is your landlord, if he or she agrees to let you go after hearing (no pun intended) your noise issue then all good..... if not ......but i would tell them asap that your not happy. The approaching the neighbour is perfectly acceptable as long as you stay the 2m away when they come to the door, what is the difference between talking to them at the door step and talking to a complete stranger in a supermarket queue with the same 2m distance.... none. I would though caution your expectations, i have dealt with noise issues concerning properties in my job and they rarely end well when the noise is being generated whilst the other person is going about their normal life (as they see it), you have to bring up the subject though as it is not the landlords role to referee between neighbours.

Comment

Trust me 100% noise proof place nowhere exist and even if you will be able to overcome this noise now but more likely be hunted by another species of noise such as mid night fox crying, early morning birds chirping, rubbish & recycling collectors, courier & delivery men, roadworks, postman, kids school, playground, traffic etc. I am afraid but you have to accustomed yourself into it with strong psychological power.

Comment

Drop your number to the neighbour and ask them to call you, or you could arrange to meet in the garden or better in your flat, while the noise is happening. Is the LL the same for both apartments? If so ask them to install for a couple of quid door bumpers (plastic things u put on the doors from it slamming against the wood. Could ask them to wear slippers or you could pay for it as a gesture.

Your tenancy, does it have a break clause? if so you could put in your notice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X