Deposit in lieu of rent ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit in lieu of rent ?

I have a good tenant who wants to go home to Europe for 2 months and they have asked if they can find someone for their room as they cannot afford to pay 2 months rent and go home (I am not too happy with this) even if they found someone as I can foresee problems.
    But, I am thinking of suggesting that I keep their deposit which would cover 1 month and they pay for one month whilst they are away.
    When they return they can continue with their tenancy paying rent as normal and I would just not have any deposit ?
    Can anyone foresee any problems legally or otherwise with this suggestion ?

Let's think. Why did you collect a deposit in the first place?

Comment

What does your tenancy agreement (and insurance and any mortgage ts and cs) say the deposit can be used for?

If you let someone into the room as a sublet and the tenant doesn't come back, the other person will be your tenant.
      With all the rights of a tenant in the UK.

Assume your tenant doesn't really understand the magnitude of what they're asking you to do and start to think things through.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The tenant has been there a year and always paid her rent on time.
        She gets on well with my other two tenants

Comment

Originally posted by Sausagedog View Post
          I have a good tenant who wants to go home to Europe for 2 months and they have asked if they can find someone for their room as they cannot afford to pay 2 months rent and go home (I am not too happy with this) even if they found someone as I can foresee problems.
          But, I am thinking of suggesting that I keep their deposit which would cover 1 month and they pay for one month whilst they are away.
          When they return they can continue with their tenancy paying rent as normal and I would just not have any deposit ?
          Can anyone foresee any problems legally or otherwise with this suggestion ?
          Seems fine but you will probably need to issue a new tenancy agreement when they return which doesn't mention deposit.

Comment

When did this Tenancy commence for all 3?

Comment

They all have individual tenancies

Comment

Unless one of your existing tenants lets the property to someone as a lodger, anyone who moves into the property will probably be a tenant and will have a number of rights.
                You won't be able to serve notice on them for several months, so they would be entitled to stay way past the initial two months.

And who's going to want to move in for two month's only?
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X