Outgoing tenant dissuading prospective tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP YOu state that that Agent was with the prospective tenants and so witnessed the statement that the CH was not working... So why did the Agent not correct them???

Sorry but you need to repay the deposit as you have no grounds to wihhold it.

What you have not said is How long the tenants were without adequate heating at a bloody cold time of year! God knows how much electric heaters have cost them!
    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Another shinning example (to add to the ever growing list) of the need for TDS.

I cant get my head around these two statements ;

I've always let my property within one week of advertising and have never had a problem!

the property is now standing empty since the 1st April.

Why have all the viewing tenants since 1st April (where the old tenants where not present), refused the property? - maybe your feeling the impact of the credit crunch and the proliferation of buy-to-let. Nearly a month has gone by without letting the property and nearly two weeks since the heating was repaired. There is no blame here imho.

Comment

Did the tenant leave because you wanted to put the rent up or because they were without heating? Did they give notice ebfore the heating broke?

I would agree with justaboutsane you have not said when the heating first broke - I'm guessing February sometime from they way you have written your first post if the tenants had time to give you a months notice over March.

Electric heaters are IMHO a stop gap and if a landlord suggested I used them over winter as a heating source then I would also feel like leaving. They are very very expensive - a fact the tenants may not have realised when they first accepted them until they got their electricity bill. Heaters cannot be used safely without someone present and so you are always returning to a cold house. Did you offer any rent reduction to cover their additional heating costs and also inconvenience?

What were you expecting them to say instead - the landlord has said the central heating will be fixed but has set a date approximately two months after it has broken - I'd draw my own conclusions about you as a landlord from that...

Comment

I notice the OP has gone very quiet..... Would like to know which course of action you have chosen to take.
          GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

From what I've read in this and other posts from this LL, he/she doesn't seem to have much of a clue about the legalities and realities of renting.

The forum name chosen speaks volumes - feduplandlord.

All I've read so far from this poster has been some dubious understanding of rental law and a lot of self pity.

Do your homework by reading past posts, feduplandlord, and perhaps you'll learn something and won't be quite so fed up.

Comment

Originally posted by feduplandlord View Post
              Sorry, but what is TDP?
              Tenancy
              Deposit
              Protection
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Half Truths

Originally posted by feduplandlord View Post
                I joined this site to ask questions and get answers, NOT to be told off and accused that "once again you're giving the majority of decent landlords a bad name". What are you implying???? That i'm not a decent landlord? It's from being TOO DECENT towards tenants that i'm in this position in the first place!
                In my experience once T and L fall out, T usually gets a better deal. TDS will probably swing the balance even further towards the T.

T is entitled to a decent home and CH which works if that is installed in property... L needs to ensure availability with a maintenance contract.

If L and T are fed up and T walks, void since Fools' day says it all.

RichardO

Comment

Originally posted by bagpuss View Post
                  From what I've read in this and other posts from this LL, he/she doesn't seem to have much of a clue about the legalities and realities of renting.

The forum name chosen speaks volumes - feduplandlord.

All I've read so far from this poster has been some dubious understanding of rental law and a lot of self pity.

Do your homework by reading past posts, feduplandlord, and perhaps you'll learn something and won't be quite so fed up.
                  Did you not start out as a landlord at some stage Bagpuss??? Did you know it ALL from the beginning? If you did, great for you! Or are you not a landlord but just someone who is bored stiff and spends their time having a go at people on this site - forgetting to focus on the question/s asked? You're right - I unfortunately DON'T know enough about your countries legalities and realities of renting yet, BUT i'm trying to learn - hence joining this site. It differs quite a lot from where I come from. Shoot me for that.
                  And as for your suggestion about "self pity" - get real!! So if you can't give me any helpful ADVICE on my question - rather don't respond. Critisizing me ain't going to make me learn more about the legalities and realities of renting, is it? Helpful critisizm is always welcome!

Comment

Children, please stop fighting with each other, and either:
                    a. GROW UP; or
                    b. stop posting on LZ until you can behave properly.
                    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X