X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outgoing tenant dissuading prospective tenants

Good morning
    I have quite a few questions & will try to keep them short:

1. I had central heating problems at my house-hot water worked-central heating did not. I immediately supplied heaters for upstairs & downstairs & the tenants said that it was more than sufficient. After several quotations i found someone to replace the boiler, but he only became Corgi registered on 10th April. I therefor waited 'till he was qualified & everything is now fixed and working. However - the tenants gave notice after living there for nearly two years & when people came around they made a point of telling them their was no central heating, but "conveniantly" forgot to say that it was being repaired shortly after the 10th April. The agencies called me up & asked what's up with the tenants putting the viewers off? I am now battling to get it let as they have done this to all the viewers and the agents confirmed that this was the only reason a lot of them said no to the property. I've always let my property within one week of advertising and have never had a problem! Can I keep their deposit back to cover for the property being empty due to their actions untill I find someone?

2. The tenancy agreement we had does not say anything about putting the rent up after a year. Can I put it up regardless of it not mentioned in the tenancy agreement? We did not renew the tenancy, we just kept it running from month to month. What is a reasonable percentage to up rent with each year?

Thank you in advance.

You would probably do better if you arrange to be present when your prospective tenants turned up and show them round yourself, that way you also get to have a look at the condition of the property and answer any questions without the tenant butting in.
    As for putting up the rent, if they are leaving shortly, why bother? Start the new tenancy at the rent you decide you need.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Sounds like you have really annoyed them. What you thought is acceptable time lag and provision, they do not agree with you and are getting their own back.

There is one solution; fix the boiler now!!
      All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

If you upset them more they might not let any viewings at all. Tread carefully.

You cant withold deposit for what might have been said concerning the heating.

Now the heatings up and running, there shouldnt be any problems in you letting it.

Good luck.

Comment

I was unfortunately in the USA at the time otherwise i definitely would've been there myself!

Comment

Planner - they have already moved out of the property so the property is now standing empty since the 1st April. The agent was present when this was said, so I know it's not a "rumour" AND the tenant admitted to me in writing that he said it - as I obviously queried him about it? Can I still not hold them responsible?

Comment

Originally posted by feduplandlord View Post
              The tenancy agreement we had does not say anything about putting the rent up after a year. Can I put it up regardless of it not mentioned in the tenancy agreement? We did not renew the tenancy, we just kept it running from month to month.
              As you don't want to grant renewed letting, and assuming that there is no rent-increase-clause mechanism in AST at present, use s.13 of Housing Act 1988. This allows L to serve standard Notice of proposed rent increase (but not more than once a year).
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

You can hardly penalise the tenant for telling what was the truth, that the CH was not working at that time, as for claiming more rent from him after he has left I would say you have two chances on that and they both involve swear words.

Comment

Lol! I agree on not claiming more rent after he has left and this is not my intention, but is there not a difference in telling HALF the truth (that the heating was not working) instead of the WHOLE truth (that it was not working BUT IT IS BEING FIXED!) ??

Comment

Just some idle thinking (ie: I'm not really sure what I'm talking about). The tenants made a false statement which has caused damage to the LL. That sounds very much like the tort of "malicious falsehood" to me.

However, is a half-truth a sufficiently false statement to be capable of constituting malicious falsehood?
                    Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

only works in the witness box I'm afraid, and even there, would you believe that some people lie!!!!!!!!
                      What sanctions apply, is it perjury? hardly, more like bloody-mindedness and that ain't punishable yet mate.

Comment

What is the worst thing that can happen to me if i decide not to refund his deposit because of him making a false statement to viewers and agents?

Comment

Originally posted by feduplandlord View Post
                          What is the worst thing that can happen to me if i decide not to refund his deposit because of him making a false statement to viewers and agents?
                          Well I'd say the worst thing that could happen is that the tenant gets very upset and then visits all sorts of indignities on you and your family before crucifying you in Hyde Park.

Other than that, a lot depends on the date on which you took the deposit.
                          Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

It was taken in July 2006

Comment

move on and find new tenants as quickly as possible - occasionally life sucks !

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                                Berlingogirl
                                This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
                                27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
                              • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                                MrShed

I'm assuming you are posting this for a laugh
                                27-07-2017, 14:22 PM
                              • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                                nukecad
                                I'm surprised that you are even asking, it's obviously some kind of scam.

At the very least phishing for your personal contact details.

"British America Business man" who can't spell 'American' or even write English properly? - "my personal assistance and he...
                                27-07-2017, 14:11 PM
                              • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                                Pb21
                                Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
                                25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
                              • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                                John Duff
                                Following on from my last post, had the tenant not informed the police and landlord at the time, they would have failed in their duty. I therefore would expect the tenant to foot the bill at the end of the tenancy or sooner.
                                27-07-2017, 13:45 PM
                              • Tenant's energy debt.
                                Gordonmrln
                                I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
                                20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                                Gordonmrln
                                Hi there, I've also been looking into the office of fair trading as nobody has said whether you believe that E.on or that LCS have acted is the correct manner when looking into a debt. well I have found out this piece of information and would like to know your thoughts and views if its correct and I'm...
                                27-07-2017, 13:30 PM
                                John Duff
                                Criminal damage not connected with the tenant occurred during the tenancy and was reported as such at the time. It is not the case that the tenant caused or was responsible for loss of value beyond wear and tear.

I'm just stating my view which appears to be backed up from sources other...
                                27-07-2017, 13:15 PM
                                jpkeates
                                If the tenancy ended and the lock was broken, it would be a loss in value beyond fair wear and tear and I'd expect the tenant to compensate the landlord for it.
                                Same as any other damage.

What's different about it during the tenancy?
                                27-07-2017, 13:03 PM
                                John Duff
                                Yes, they have a duty of care but not the same responsibilities as a lease/freeholder.

If I was the tenant, I'd refuse to pay. This is assuming I hadn't been grossly negligent and had reported the damage at the earliest opportunity to both the police and the landlord. I would expect a TDS...
                                27-07-2017, 12:55 PM
                              Working...
                              X