Can I get landlord advice on this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CaraJane View Post
    I'd be willing to put my savings up to pay for it if it solves the problem.
    It could be costly if plaster and tiles have to be removed to access pipes. I don't think putting your money into someone else's property is a good idea. You don't have the same security of tenure as a home-owner. If you really can't stand this then I suggest you move. That's the beauty of renting.

Comment

scot22,

I'll try the management again when the time is right, thanks.

Comment

DPT57,

Thanks for that advice, I was thinking in terms of it being me that's disturbed not him, but you are correct, I shouldn't be paying for this. I am looking out for somewhere to move, being in a small town not a lot comes up but it will eventually.

Comment

Water hammer is normally caused by shock-waves ricocheting up an down water pipes when a valve is opened or closed quickly. It can (sometimes) be cured by simply turning the tap more slowly. Maybe your neighbor could be persuaded to modify his behavior?

Water hammer is characterized by loud banging, but you mention 'vibration', if he's defiantly showering at this point then perhaps it's the sound of a the pump in a power shower?

You also mention a 'cracking in the walls' this is often the sound of a copper pipe expanding against a wooden joist as hot water warms it up, again this may not be water hammer, it could be just hot water circulating through the pipes when the heating comes on.

Good luck

Comment

I think the problem you will find is that noise and how it impacts people is quite subjective. There is mention about breach of lease and environmental health above but I think will either will be hard or expensive to enforce, or rather for your landlady. The management agents won't be interested unless it's something being done in a deliberate manner (from my experience), any legal action will cost all the flats as it will come out of the service charges fund so they won't want to do that).

What you can get done will depend on the age of the flats and if they were purpose built or converted as that will impact how the services are fed to the separate flats.

You may be a light sleeper (like I am) but I don't see environmental health will ever issue him a warning for a noisy shower, they may visit to check the noise but you are more likely to annoy the neighbour and then you will never get it sorted.

environmental health will probably be interested if there are rats running round or someone is playing the drums at 4am next to your bedroom wall but noises subject to the operation of a house are a lot harder to deal with they will have to pass certain levels to be actionable.

I would be temped to try and discuss with the neighbour and ask him if he minds turning on his shower and visiting your flat so you can let him hear the noise. You may find it's something simple like no anti vibration feet on the shower pump if there is one and it's vibrating on the floor, or the pump is old and worn..

While he is in the shower he probably has no idea of the noise/vibration and shower pumps can be by their nature very noisy... but I would advise you to try and offer an olive branch as he has no interest in this situation (that may or may not be selfish) but you are the only one that will have a benefit from any changes so try and approach again nicely.... or get your landlady to......

Only my personal view

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyGit View Post

Water hammer is characterized by loud banging, but you mention 'vibration', if he's defiantly showering at this point then perhaps it's the sound of a the pump in a power shower?

You also mention a 'cracking in the walls' this is often the sound of a copper pipe expanding against a wooden joist as hot water warms it up, again this may not be water hammer, it could be just hot water circulating through the pipes when the heating comes on.

Good luck
              Thanks. It's warm here at the moment so it won't be heating, but it may be hot water....

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post

If for any reason your LL is unwilling or unable to look at the lease, then I believe that you should be able to obtain a copy from the Land Registry, which you can then check for breaches.

I believe that your LL would still need to approach the freeholder, as the freeholder has no duty to you.
                MdeB, is there an easy way to get a copy from the land registry? I've gone to the website and no clear instructions anywhere. My landlady doesn't know where the lease would be now.

And, I'm wondering if it's worth me even doing this as the 'freeholder' is actually a combination of all 8 owners of each of the 8 flats, none of which know one another or want anything to do with one another.

My landlady has tried to talk to the neighbour but I'm just thinking of the most realistic outcome here, and if it's worth me bothering.

If I get a copy of the lease, find the neighbour is breaking the agreement (which he will no doubt be).......then? I'm not sure it'll lead anywhere? And if not perhaps I just stop now and wait until I move. Just trying to move as many problems off my plate as possible.

I was woken on Sunday morning at 4.30 am. I was working online until 1 am as I was working with someone in the US. So getting woken at 4.30 am by a grinding vibration running through my floor and bed, which went on until 6 am...when I put a note through my neighbour's door asking if he knew what it might be....then it stopped.......then I got some sleep when I would have liked to have been getting up soon.

I think what I'm trying to say is I need to make this all as easy as possible for myself as it's taking all my energy.

Thanks.

Comment

I know it's awful, but I think you should move.
                  It's not going to get fixed in any sensible time frame and it's affecting your life negatively.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                    I know it's awful, but I think you should move.
                    It's not going to get fixed in any sensible time frame and it's affecting your life negatively.
                    Sounds about right...... life really is too short.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X