Empty property and new tenants not moving...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Empty property and new tenants not moving...

Hi all - I'm hopeful to get peoples opinions on the situation I find myself in. I have a rental property that was vacated by my previous tenants on 1st April. I had new tenants lined up through a lettings agency to move in on 17th April. Given the circumstances we have found ourselves in now they pushed back the move in by one week to 24th April which I agreed to. They have now said they are unwilling to move until "restrictions are lifted". Obviously we have no idea when that will be and I'm faced with an empty property costing money in mortgage, utilities, council tax etc. I'm aware I could apply for a mortgage holiday but I had not done this initially as I had people lined up to move in.

I have tentatively discussed putting it back on the market with the agent as nothing has been signed but the people who were due to sign up are apparently disgusted at this and expect me to simply wait until they can move in! The lettings agent says there are people looking - lots of NHS staff moving into the area as we have one of the Nightingale hospitals here. But unwilling to give advice either way - so I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. The people who were due to move in are pushing the letting agent to put something in writing to say that they are allowed to move and won't do so without it. The letting agent understandably won't say in writing "you are allowed to move" when the guidance is so woolly!

I guess I'm asking for opinions on what you would do...business head says get it back on but also with the fear that may not get anyone else anyway? Thanking you in advance.

Get someone else. If they dont want to move in thats their decision. Your running a business! You a have already delayed it for them. Just say sorry you have new tenants who want to move in straight way. Give them an option to still have the place asap. If they say no move on.

Comment

I would definitely agree to cancel their contract and sue them for any losses. What you must most certainly not do is allow them to start a tenancy (even if you can't find anyone else) -- the last think one needs is tenants who have inclinations to behave badly.

Comment

Thanks guys that's where my head was at, I was just considering it from their point of view but got to look after number 1!

Comment

If they want the property they can start paying now and move in when the government allows them to.
          You haven't caused half the population of the earth to be in lockdown.

I'm not sure what effect the letting agent's letter would have anyway.
          I can't imagine the police letting them move because Joe Bloggs of Blogg's letting says it's OK.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

On one hand the prospective tenants may have breached the terms of their Reservation Agreement/Holding Deposit Agreement?

On the other hand the guidance is clear 'Government has advised against home moves wherever possible', 'renters should, as far as possible, delay moving to a new home while emergency measures are in place to fight coronavirus.'. Nobody should be making any journeys unless they are absolutely essential. Re viewings government guidance is also clear 'no one should visit the property to conduct viewings, or anything else which is not urgent and health and safety-related.'

Add to that the British Assocation of Removers have shut up shop so everyone has to be pragmatic and not think 'normal'.

Comment

The law itself is very clear that moving house is permitted, the guidance does not constitute the law. I would put it back on the market because it seems the ll tenant relationship has already broken down.

Comment

. . . and business meetings between two people are permitted where unavoidable.

Comment

They appear to be a tad demanding already and they have not even signed anything. Give them the bad news and move on, as said this is a business not a charity for the undecided.

Comment

Somewhat harsh to suggest that someone who complies with government advice to save lives is branded a bad tenant, when clearly they were good when they passed due diligence.
                    The majority are taking some financial hit to beat this awful virus and I would be loathe to be burning my bridges at current time. You may have a temporary nightingale hospital nearby but the field of potential permanent paying tenants is dramatically reduced.
                    I would be telling them that you will continue to market it but would be willing to do a deal for some certainty on dates / income.

Comment

I take on board everyone's comments - that's why I asked as I can see both sides of the coin!

Comment

When did Govt advice become the Law?

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
                          When did Govt advice become the Law?
                          At the end of March, when the The Health Protection (Coronavirus) Regulations 2020 came into effect.

Moving house would be allowed.
                          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I'd be interested to know where the OP ended up going with this.

My current tenants move out today, but my rental agent is telling me that while they have advertised the property (and have had plenty of interest) they cannot organise any inspections due to the restrictions in place. I'm wondering how the OP was intending to find alternative tenants if this is the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H View Post
                              they cannot organise any inspections due to the restrictions in place.
                              Do you mean "inspections", or do you mean "viewings"?

Inspection of an empty property s allowed under current rules.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X