Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Here's some helpful information.

https://nearlylegal.co.uk/relationsh...tenancies-faq/

Leave a comment:

• Stacker
    replied
    YOUR safety for you, your child and unborn child are most important so get the hell out of here and ask women's aid to home you. Get advice from CAM, take all your personal items now like photos, important documents, toys etc..and take them to another persons house and ask them to store them for you, start planning to leave when he is not around. Then when in a place of safety write to the AST people and tell them you want to cancel your AST with them due to the situation. Nothing to be ashamed of it takes courage to leave and get out. Protect yourself.

Leave a comment:

• Stacker
    replied
    Whose name is the AST in?

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    As said, speak with the landlord asap, he/she will be more amiable to your situation if you are honest and upfront at the earliest possible opportunity to give them time to sort things out, do not be embarrassed at all, DV is all to common and especially true at the moment, i do wish you well in the future and going down the restraining order route now may be a good idea, from my works experience an Ex is often unpredictable and can be sometimes dangerous when a relationship comes to an end (even if they caused it !). All the best.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by dazwalsh View Post
    You will need to contact the landlord, explain your situation and see if you can mutually terminate the contract if you are no longer living there. This may have more of an effect if womens aid help you with this.

It only takes one person from the tenancy to end it as far as I'm aware, so the tenancy would end if the landlord agrees and it would be up to them whether they keep your partner on with a new tenancy or not
    That is wrong and dangerously so, given the situation.

One tenant can’t end the tenancy in the fixed term.

But, the overwhelming priority is to be safe.

The tenancy issues can be resolved later, and most outcomes will depend on the landlord, who can be contacted once you are safe. But they are less important and urgent than being away from an abuser.

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    You might also contact your local council. I'd like to suggest you start proceedings to obtain an injunction. That would mean your partner would not be able to go near you ie not within a certain distance of the house.
    You're in a horrible situation and I wish you all the best in sorting this out.

Leave a comment:

• dazwalsh
    replied
    From a legal point of view the tenancy will continue on with all existing rights for both tenants still in place.

You will need to contact the landlord, explain your situation and see if you can mutually terminate the contract if you are no longer living there. This may have more of an effect if womens aid help you with this.

It only takes one person from the tenancy to end it as far as I'm aware, so the tenancy would end if the landlord agrees and it would be up to them whether they keep your partner on with a new tenancy or not.

Good luck, and I hope you get the help you need.

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    The joint T will contine.

Leave a comment:

• Jon66
    replied
    I hope everything goes well for you.

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    This covers most of your questions with some links for advice and assistance;

https://nearlylegal.co.uk/relationsh...tenancies-faq/

Landlords are usually very sympathetic if they know the circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• Crazyvaperlady
    started a topic Desperately need help

Desperately need help

So this is going to be a long one. I'm in a 12 month joint AST with my partner, due to end in August. I know what the legal stance is on my situation, but I'd like to know what my landlord is likely to do in my situation from a moral standpoint.
    I've recently discovered I'm pregnant, and my partner has become severely abusive. I am ringing the police and women's aid tomorrow, but what is likely to happen with my tenancy? Obviously wens aid are likely to help remove me and my child from the property, but obviously I'm still liable for the rent on this place? Is there provision for this kind of situation where my landlord can let me out of the tenancy early? I'm so frightened, and I don't know where to turn. I'm also quite ashamed, so don't really want to discuss it with the landlord in too much detail. Thanks for reading.

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X