Desperately need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desperately need help

So this is going to be a long one. I'm in a 12 month joint AST with my partner, due to end in August. I know what the legal stance is on my situation, but I'd like to know what my landlord is likely to do in my situation from a moral standpoint.
    I've recently discovered I'm pregnant, and my partner has become severely abusive. I am ringing the police and women's aid tomorrow, but what is likely to happen with my tenancy? Obviously wens aid are likely to help remove me and my child from the property, but obviously I'm still liable for the rent on this place? Is there provision for this kind of situation where my landlord can let me out of the tenancy early? I'm so frightened, and I don't know where to turn. I'm also quite ashamed, so don't really want to discuss it with the landlord in too much detail. Thanks for reading.

This covers most of your questions with some links for advice and assistance;

https://nearlylegal.co.uk/relationsh...tenancies-faq/

Landlords are usually very sympathetic if they know the circumstances.

Comment

I hope everything goes well for you.

Comment

The joint T will contine.

Comment

From a legal point of view the tenancy will continue on with all existing rights for both tenants still in place.

You will need to contact the landlord, explain your situation and see if you can mutually terminate the contract if you are no longer living there. This may have more of an effect if womens aid help you with this.

It only takes one person from the tenancy to end it as far as I'm aware, so the tenancy would end if the landlord agrees and it would be up to them whether they keep your partner on with a new tenancy or not.

Good luck, and I hope you get the help you need.

Comment

You might also contact your local council. I'd like to suggest you start proceedings to obtain an injunction. That would mean your partner would not be able to go near you ie not within a certain distance of the house.
            You're in a horrible situation and I wish you all the best in sorting this out.

Comment

Originally posted by dazwalsh View Post
              You will need to contact the landlord, explain your situation and see if you can mutually terminate the contract if you are no longer living there. This may have more of an effect if womens aid help you with this.

It only takes one person from the tenancy to end it as far as I'm aware, so the tenancy would end if the landlord agrees and it would be up to them whether they keep your partner on with a new tenancy or not
              That is wrong and dangerously so, given the situation.

One tenant can’t end the tenancy in the fixed term.

But, the overwhelming priority is to be safe.

The tenancy issues can be resolved later, and most outcomes will depend on the landlord, who can be contacted once you are safe. But they are less important and urgent than being away from an abuser.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

As said, speak with the landlord asap, he/she will be more amiable to your situation if you are honest and upfront at the earliest possible opportunity to give them time to sort things out, do not be embarrassed at all, DV is all to common and especially true at the moment, i do wish you well in the future and going down the restraining order route now may be a good idea, from my works experience an Ex is often unpredictable and can be sometimes dangerous when a relationship comes to an end (even if they caused it !). All the best.

Comment

Whose name is the AST in?

Comment

YOUR safety for you, your child and unborn child are most important so get the hell out of here and ask women's aid to home you. Get advice from CAM, take all your personal items now like photos, important documents, toys etc..and take them to another persons house and ask them to store them for you, start planning to leave when he is not around. Then when in a place of safety write to the AST people and tell them you want to cancel your AST with them due to the situation. Nothing to be ashamed of it takes courage to leave and get out. Protect yourself.

Comment

Here's some helpful information.

https://nearlylegal.co.uk/relationsh...tenancies-faq/
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                        see post number 2 !

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
                          see post number 2 !
                          Many apologies - quite right.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Choosing tenants
                            by AndrewDod
                            No you really really can ask for landlords references/statements etc on more than one simultaneously. Indeed you often must. Be transparent though....
                            07-07-2022, 14:16 PM
                          • Choosing tenants
                            by annam222
                            Hi all,
                            I advertised my flat on OpenRent (for the first time) and received 90 viewing requests in a few days (I have removed the advert now).
                            I set up an automated reply to all enquires with a list of 10 questions, then picked five potential tenants that ticked all the boxes. I called all...
                            07-07-2022, 13:09 PM
                          • Reply to Can I claim rent reduction due to building noise and landlord’s misrepresentation ??
                            by jpkeates
                            You have rights under consumer law if there were things that would have led you (or any reasonable person) to make a different purchasing decision that you were not advised of.
                            It's called a misleading omission.
                            The legislation that covers it is Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations...
                            07-07-2022, 13:52 PM
                          • Can I claim rent reduction due to building noise and landlord’s misrepresentation ??
                            by A.Renter
                            I started renting a ‘studio apartment’ (i.e. a bedsit) in January this year in a three-storey 1930s block – residents are a mix of renters and leaseholders. I am considering asking for rent reduction due to two main issues:
                            1. Upon moving in I noticed that there is no way to turn off the radiator, as
                            06-07-2022, 16:41 PM
                            by ash72
                            Based on the information, I would pick the one with the highest salary, as they will be able to afford the property and the costs of running the property. If you haven't already I would ask them why they are leaving the property they are currently renting - this provides good insight.

And...
                            07-07-2022, 13:51 PM
                          • Reply to Evicted and left a few bits
                            by jpkeates
                            Not unless there's a right of offset in the tenancy agreement.
                            There's no general right to offset in English law.

In reality, if the landlord did sell the belongings and claim the proceeds were to recover the cost of disposal (which the bailee is entitled to do), the tenant would...
                            07-07-2022, 13:45 PM
                          • Evicted and left a few bits
                            by betsy2040
                            I been evicted today and I’ve left a few bits of stuff ,

marble table and dining chairs , mattress 2 sofas ect ect boxes of stuff , curtains , few boxes of clothes and shoes , and sideboards and all my garden stuff

How long have I got to remove all this?...
                            06-07-2022, 18:56 PM
                          • Reply to Renters reform bill
                            by jpkeates
                            Magna Carta doesn't apply to us common people.

Your right to private property is in the Human Rights Act, though.
                            And, ironically, our best protection is likely to be the amount of property that is owned by non-UK citizens, particularly companies.
                            07-07-2022, 13:42 PM
                          • Renters reform bill
                            by flyingfreehold
                            i have just read an interesting summary of all that is proposed in the EG (Estates Gazette). As drafted it effectively brings back a form of rent control as tenants will have the right to go to First Tier Tribunal to challenge any rent increases which must be proposed by section 13 notices.
                            04-07-2022, 16:29 PM
                            by AndrewDod
                            Can't see any problem with asking for bank statements and landlord references from all of them right now. Also visit them in their current homes if possible. Don't be unfair and lead them on however - explain clearly that they are one of three possible candidates out of 90. Ask for copies of their current...
                            07-07-2022, 13:42 PM
                          Working...
                          X