Can a landlord make a tenant remove a tv from the wall ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Can a landlord make a tenant remove a tv from the wall ?

    Firstly, i'm not landlord or tenant, i am the neighbour that lives next to tenant (England,) - for over 6 months since they moved in they have had the huge tv mounted on a wall and all we can hear is echo from it day and night EVERYDAY its getting worse now So we have today been round to the landlord to complain about them, and she said leave it with her,

    So i'm just wondering can a landlord do anything to force them to remove it or anything else ?

    #2
    In reality, no.

    Even if the tenant is in breach of some term of their tenancy agreement, the landlord can't do much about it.
    The landlord can evict the tenant, but it's expensive and takes a long time (especially now) and would leave them with an empty property (and a neighbour dispute that they should disclose).

    To be fair, it's nothing to do with the landlord, they aren't living next door to you.
    What did your neighbour say when you raised it with them?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

    Comment


      #3
      We have knocked on 3 times and posted 2 letters, to which it would go quite for a day or 2 but then its back to normal, we have lived in our home for over 35 years and never had a single problem with any other owners/tenants until these came in, and its the same everyday roughly around 7.30am till 2am everyday they dont work, dont go outside, just watch tv

      When we went round the landlord she even said is it about there huge tv on the wall even before i said to her, so she knows about it, with regards to you saying its nothing to do with your landlord, what if we go to the council and make an offical complaint, i think the landlord can get a £5000 fine or is it the tenants that get the fine once charged ?

      Comment


        #4
        To summarise the implications of what jpkeates correctly says: A decent landlord would probably evict a tenant (if that were possible) even though they don't have to -- if that tenant was making the lives of neighbours a misery. But various successive governments don't care about neighbours, communities or decent people like you. Some people matter. You don't.

        Comment


          #5
          Even if the landlord can get them to take the tv off the wall it won't help much. Most of the sound is directed forward, and it's pretty empty tinny sounding crap anyway.

          What you are suffering from is the bass which will leak through wherever it is located.

          Amusingly, politely, generously and embarrassingly ask them to turn down the bass at around midnight.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by boletus View Post
            Even if the landlord can get them to take the tv off the wall it won't help much. Most of the sound is directed forward, and it's pretty empty tinny sounding crap anyway.

            What you are suffering from is the bass which will leak through wherever it is located.

            Amusingly, politely, generously and embarrassingly ask them to turn down the bass at around midnight.
            we have been asking them, in a politely manner in person and in letters ive even been inside and seen the 60'' on the wall, however these have fallen on deaf ears, for a good 4-5 months, also i disagree with the bass will leak where its located , we own our home and we have had 6 tenants nextdoor since 2007 when the current landlord bought the house and we never had one problem with this,

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
              To summarise the implications of what jpkeates correctly says: A decent landlord would probably evict a tenant (if that were possible) even though they don't have to -- if that tenant was making the lives of neighbours a misery. But various successive governments don't care about neighbours, communities or decent people like you. Some people matter. You don't.
              the landlord did seem very decent she even knew what i was going to say the problem was before i said it, but would a landlord want a £5k fine from the council or evict people ?? because thats what we will do , as i type this at 00:55am all i hear is thump thump

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by boletus View Post

                Amusingly, politely, generously and embarrassingly ask them to turn down the bass at around midnight.

                not being a snob but why should we be generously and embarrassingly ask them to turn down the bass at around midnight ?

                when we have lived here for 35 years own the house fully paid off, worked all our lives, for a family who rent a house and get the rent paid for by the council because not one of them work and by the state of them never have, should we feel its embarrassing for them to take or try to make it better ?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Report them to Council for noise nuisance, or buy yourself a ghatto blaster?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Hypeduk View Post

                    not being a snob but why should we be generously and embarrassingly ask them to turn down the bass at around midnight ?

                    You shouldn't and I sympathise. But it is what it is. Get the best result you can.

                    Your 5K fines are a fantasy, landlords have virtually no power.

                    all i hear is thump thump

                    Then it's the bass, repositioning the tv will make no difference.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Report them to environmental health at the Council. Its a long process. Keep logs. Make recordings on your phone. There is no fine for landlords. But the tenants equipment can be confiscated in the end. But as I said its a long haul. The council department will be severely underfunded and have very few enforcement officers. They need facts not anecdotal evidence.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Another option is to mitigate the problem your self. I had to do it in my house when we had noisy tenants next door. Sound proof the wall. You can get sound specialist proof board that is very effective and can be just glued to an existing wall. It is not perfect but makes a BIG difference. You could plaster it or wall paper it and just paint it and take it down when the problem goes away. I have uses it and it works. Actually left it there when they moved out.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Do the above...... if you complain about the neighbours (even though they may be gone soon), you have to disclose this when you do come to sell your house, this may put some buyers off or reduce the price they will offer, in reality i don't think it will do any good at all, tenants like these tend to ignore all advice etc from who ever it comes from. I deal with them as part of my job and you are on a hiding to nothing i am afraid, do as '' davidmartin uk ' says and soundproof that wall, it is surprising easy to do and not that expensive, there are even firms who do this for you, it will save a lot of stress and will pay for its self with no disclosable dispute between you and the neighbour to affect your house price. It will also be there for when these tenants move out and another set of tone deaf idiots move in...... living next to a BTL can be challenging at times.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Hypeduk View Post

                            the landlord did seem very decent she even knew what i was going to say the problem was before i said it, but would a landlord want a £5k fine from the council or evict people ?? because thats what we will do , as i type this at 00:55am all i hear is thump thump
                            Council won't care. Really. As I said - you don't matter.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              This works well

                              https://www.scmp.com/news/china/arti...irs-neighbours

                              Comment

                              Latest Activity

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X