Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mould - whos responsibility?

Hi Guys!

I am new here. I live in a rented house with three friends. I have lived here for 6 months but we are 18 months into a 2 year tenancy.

There is a horrendous smell of damp/mould coming from the freezer which is located in a cupboard under the stairs. I assume there is mould/damp behind the freezer. In close proximity is a downstairs toilet which has a horrendous smell (as if there is some sort of plumbing issue) and also evidence of rising damp on the wall. The rising damp does not really bother us, but the smell of the freezer and sometimes the toilet does.

My question is, whos responsibility are these two instances

1) The freezer damp
    2) The rising damp

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Have you reported it to the LL? If there is a plumbing problem with the toilet it needs to be dealt with so I would suggest that is your first action.

Can you pull out the freezer? If so I would do that to check what is happening behind it.

Comment

Rising damp is the responsibility of the landlord.
      It's quite unusual, unless there's something built up outside the walls, but you'd hope your landlord would want to look at it, because it would cause structural damage.
      On the other hand, sometimes it can be disruptive to fix.

Have you tried moving the freezer or looking behind it.
      A damp smell could be anything from a serious water leak to a bag of peas that fell down the back last November.
      Most mould in properties is caused by something inside the house, it's unusual for anything to come in from outside through the walls.

The toilet needs a plumber - but who's responsible for paying for it depends on what the cause is.
      Most toilet problems in my properties are caused by tenants putting things into them that they shouldn't.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X