Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

statutory declaration help

hi all,

so i moved out of my old property on 12th March, the landlord asked for £805 from my deposit which i did not agree with.
    they started the repayment online and asked for the £805 which i rejected and bounced it back to them with a counter offer.
    it has now been 15 days since i did that and had no response from the agent. I called DPS and they informed me i need to fill in a statutory declaration form signed by a legal witness...
    I cannot find a clear list on who can do this, how much its going to cost me to do this, if its a simple thing...
    i am totally clueless.
    With the current situation and people isolating etc how on earth am i supposed to get a random person to sign this form?

Thanks for any help

You don't get a random person, you get a solicitor or notary to confirm your identity (from a passport, driving licence and a couple of bills) and to sign and stamp the form.
    If you've done business with a solicitor, they may already have what they need.

It should cost about £10.

The hardest part is usually getting the form.

How this can happen in lockdown is a bit of a question. I'd imagine it can happen with a 2 meter gap, or that the documents could be posted and then confirmed over a video call.
    Whether a solicitor or notary will bother risking anything for a tenner...
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

yeah exactly, seems a bit of an impossible task!

What would be the alternative if i cant currently do the declaration? just leave it sat in limbo with the DPS? Seems a bit of a nightmare. Its £1000 they are holding, could really be doing with that, or some of it at least given the current situation!

Comment

The DPS is not fit for purpose, they are holding £1000 of mine 6 months after end of tenancy and after having obtained the stat Dec.
        Your best chance is striking a deal with the landlord, even if it's Nick Van Hiogstraaten he will be more trustworthy than the DPS.

Comment

haha, oh dear, well it seems im not going to get very far... they are at £805, im at £290 so will see as a last ditch attempt if they will meet in the middle

Comment

I thought it was the landlord who needed to get the statutory declaration to justify the deductions from the deposit and not the tenant?

Comment

Raise a Dipute with DPS ADR ASAP. LLwill then have to jusify his claim. LL can claim full deposit after approx 3 months

Comment

Originally posted by amy131 View Post
                I thought it was the landlord who needed to get the statutory declaration to justify the deductions from the deposit and not the tenant?
                It's whoever is making the declaration, landlord or tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                  You don't get a random person, you get a solicitor or notary to confirm your identity (from a passport, driving licence and a couple of bills) and to sign and stamp the form.
                  If you've done business with a solicitor, they may already have what they need.
                  They are not confirming ID as such, they are witnessing the person verbally declaring "I do solemnly and sincerely declare etc".

It seems a bit pompous doing it with a solicitor you deal with everyday but the SRA takes a dim view if not followed correctly.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                    by jpkeates
                    This is pretty much me, although my agent is very good and doesn't need much "rein".

They have a high street presence, which tenants like (makes the agent more real) and have multiple people to answer phones.
                    And they have a mostly female staff, which is a big plus for ...
                    25-01-2022, 16:51 PM
                  • Greetings, I Come in Peace
                    by AVJ113
                    Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
                    20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
                  • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                    by jpkeates
                    Paperwork shouldn't be an issue in claiming unpaid rent.
                    Unpaid rent is usually easy to prove - the tenant's paid some and has obviously been renting something.

The issue is usually that the tenant doesn't have the money they owe.

The lack of agent and paperwork will...
                    25-01-2022, 16:48 PM
                  • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                    by Beeble
                    We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
                    25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
                  • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                    by Hudson01
                    As said above, unless being a landlord has been a childhood dream (weird if it were), i vote to sell and move on. A lot of experienced LL's are selling up anyway due to a multitude of rubbish from the govt, in your position, simply reap the reward of your late fathers good financial decisions and enjoy...
                    25-01-2022, 16:44 PM
                  • Inherited a few rentals
                    by Landlord7289
                    Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
                    25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
                  • Reply to What to do at the end of an AST period?
                    by jtufty
                    I hear you loud and clear! Periodic it is then! Cheers...
                    25-01-2022, 16:39 PM
                  • What to do at the end of an AST period?
                    by jtufty
                    Hi,

I rent a property. The initial 6 months of the AST ends in Jan 2022. The tenant is very nice and she asked yesterday if she can stay on for another 6 months.

Is it a simple case of just giving her another AST contract to sign? Im sure it is, but wondered if theres anything...
                    28-12-2021, 08:35 AM
                  • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                    by DoricPixie
                    Why "in light of the minimal tenancy paperwork" do you think you will have a difficult time retrieving the money owed from the tenant?

As above, check the Section 21 is valid, see link to flow chart below. If the Section 21 is valid and the tenant is still in the property then...
                    25-01-2022, 16:26 PM
                  • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                    by jpucng62
                    My property portfolio has always been managed by agents, originally through necessity (I was a long way away), latterly through choice (I don't want to be available 24/7). I use small independent agencies and I keep them on a tight rein - but it works for me! I like to have that distance between me...
                    25-01-2022, 16:25 PM
                  Working...
                  X