Wording needed to amend AST to SAT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wording needed to amend AST to SAT

As I have lived for many years in the house I'm renting out, I think that it would be better in my next tenancy is an SAT rather than an AST. My letting agent only normally deals in ASTs, so I'm trying to request him to amend his standard AST contract to an SAT.

Would the following be acceptable?

A clause at the beginning of the contract which states

"In accordance with paragraph 3 of Schedule 2A to the Housing Act 1988 this Agreement is not an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, but is a Standard Assured Tenancy with a Ground 1 Notice

In addition the deletion of any printed clause referring to:
    i. letting being an AST; or
    ii. the rights of L under s.21

Please advise

BTW I think my spelling's OK - but I still can't find the Spell Checker Jeffrey referred to.

How long is many years? between 1989 and 1997 a lot of SAT's were given out accidently which may mean you are still a SAT as the subsequent AST's don't mean didly as your SAT may never have been properly determined.

If you are unsure about what to do seek professional Legal advice.

Comment

I am the landlord and I have only been renting out my house since 2003. I lived in the house from 1993 until 2003 and now live abroad.

Comment

Originally posted by Magic View Post
        As I have lived for many years in the house I'm renting out, I think that it would be better in my next tenancy is an SAT rather than an AST. My letting agent only normally deals in ASTs, so I'm trying to request him to amend his standard AST contract to an SAT.

Would the following be acceptable?

A clause at the beginning of the contract which states

"In accordance with paragraph 3 of Schedule 2A to the Housing Act 1988 this Agreement is not an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, but is a Standard Assured Tenancy with a Ground 1 Notice

In addition the deletion of any printed clause referring to:
        i. letting being an AST; or
        ii. the rights of L under s.21

Please advise

BTW I think my spelling's OK - but I still can't find the Spell Checker Jeffrey referred to.
        1. Yes, it seems OK.
        2. No need to mention the g1 Notice, but you must of course serve it BEFORE letting property- otherwise it won't work.
        3. Spellchecker facility is at top of LZ "Message" box, where it says 'ABC' over a tick.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks, Jeffrey!

Sorry to be so ignorant, but how is a ground one notice served (if not in the contract)?

Also I could be in a difficult situation if my letting agent didn't serve it at the right time??

(about spell checker ... don't bother to reply, but I've got a different display from you. Cannot see LD Message box anywhere. Above this message it has 'Reply to message' then 'Title' which I've left blank. Imediately at the top of this message are a number of formatting icons but no spellcheck one.)

Comment

Ground 1 Notice is a form that you can download or buy.

(Spellcheck: are there not three icons to right at top of box in which you type your reply message?)
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Jeffrey - sorry a long time to reply but I don't get any prompt that I've had a reply.

I didn't know that the ground one notice was a form - thanks!

In terms of the display

Towards the write at the top of the box I have three icons 1 = hash sign, 2 = <> 3 = small piece of paper with letters PHP

On the line above to the far right I have a double upward arrow and below it a double downwards arrow. To the right of that there are two 'A's. Hovering over the last gives the option to 'Switch Editor Mode'

Regards

Magic

Comment

Originally posted by Magic View Post
                Towards the write at the top of the box I have three icons 1 = hash sign, 2 = <> 3 = small piece of paper with letters PHP

On the line above to the far right I have a double upward arrow and below it a double downwards arrow. To the right of that there are two 'A's. Hovering over the last gives the option to 'Switch Editor Mode'
                Just to the left of the double-arrow mentioned, is there not an ABC/tick thingy?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Advice please - tenant potentially challenging Section 21
                  newlandlord17
                  I was an unexpected landlord when I inherited a property recently. Originally I thought I wanted to carry on but then the tenant was nagging about small repairs and when my contractor went in he said the house was very messy, there was a smell of cat urine and a lampshade and door had been damaged....
                  20-07-2017, 10:21 AM
                • Reply to Advice please - tenant potentially challenging Section 21
                  theartfullodger
                  Would need to expire after end fixed term.

Have S3 & s48 notices been served prior to s21?

Are you confident s21 was valid? Told by solicitor Tuesday that 70% of landlords s21s are invalid....
                  20-07-2017, 12:22 PM
                • Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
                  Jenny7
                  Hi, hope you can offer some insight, we are looking to move rental property due to new job starting in September in a new location.
                  So thankfully we've a window to shop around to find a new place.
                  We've found one suitable spot but we're still looking around, the new place has asked for credit...
                  17-07-2017, 12:10 PM
                • Reply to Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
                  Jenny7
                  thanks, but it's exactly this sort of thing we wish to avoid, bad faith and stress :-(
                  is the rental system really set up like this? to prevent tenants from looking and shopping and moving with ease?
                  I guess we've rented the same spot so long we figured we could move when chose not be subject...
                  20-07-2017, 12:22 PM
                  JK0
                  I wouldn't sweat it. Worse comes to worse, you can stay on at the end of your notice. Landlord would still have to go to court to get rid of you.
                  20-07-2017, 12:17 PM
                • Claiming for Non protected deposit
                  charliesugar
                  This is posted on behalf of my cleaner who approached me for help after her last landlord failed to reply to her repeated requests for return of her deposit.
                  She rented a room in a shared house in London, AST, weekly rent all paid on time. Notice given and accepted, room left neat and clean....
                  27-06-2017, 13:18 PM
                • Reply to Claiming for Non protected deposit
                  charliesugar
                  So, the weeks have passed by with no reply from the landlord. I decided to give him a call myself today just to get a feel for the situation. He basically tried to deny that he was the agent in question but then went on to say he would not be paying anything back. We have contacted one of the No Win...
                  20-07-2017, 12:16 PM
                  Jenny7
                  thanks all for the useful advice and insight
                  we contacted the LL directly since I posted but she is taking advice from our current agent who are saying it would be utterly unfair to provide a reference before we hand in our notice as it would not leave them time to advertise and the house would...
                  20-07-2017, 12:15 PM
                  JK0
                  Then you want confirmation of all those items in writing to send to the court....
                  20-07-2017, 12:15 PM
                  newlandlord17
                  The agent tells me everything was done properly when the tenancy was started, presumably I don't need to redo it all now?
                  20-07-2017, 12:12 PM
                Working...
                X