my lodger is taking legal action against me. What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agne View Post
    I don’t think he can be classed as occupant a bone fide lodger under prevailing Law? But I am not entirely sure. He was in our home only 6 weeks.
    I see nothing in what you have said to say he was not a lodger.

Comment

They claim he had exclusive possession of his room of fixed-term agreement for 12month - street v Mountford 1985
      Breach of tenancy deposit protection, he wants a 3month deposit, total 450 pounds.
      Are you sure this letter is from a solicitor?

Street v Mountford requires the exclusive possession of a "dwelling", not a room.
      Given that the occupant was sharing facilities with their landlord, it can't be an AST and the deposit regulations only apply to Shorthold Tenancies.

Or the solicitor has decided to throw everything they can think of at the OP and see what he does.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I was surprised about that solicitors haven’t looked up/don’t know the difference between tenants and lodgers. However, the letter looks legit and I looked up the solicitors website and everything looks ok there!
        I will wrote to them email to ask to send me the copy of the letter electronically, so I can pass it to my solicitor( hope to find one after bank holidays)

Comment

They do know the difference, their first claim is that you are wrongly categorising the arrangement as a landlord and lodger when the truth is it's landlord and tenant.
          And then pretty much everything else follows from that.

Which your own solicitor would deal with quite easily, and I'd expect the "lodger's" solicitor to advise their client that it's a dead end.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
            They do know the difference, their first claim is that you are wrongly categorising the arrangement as a landlord and lodger when the truth is it's landlord and tenant.
            And then pretty much everything else follows from that.

Which your own solicitor would deal with quite easily, and I'd expect the "lodger's" solicitor to advise their client that it's a dead end.
            I hope it will end so easy.

Comment

I hope it will end so easy.
              Based on what you've said it's a hit and hope attempt, just in case you panic and pay up.

Unless I've missed something or there's something missing from your account I agree with AndrewDod and there's nothing to suggest he wasn't a lodger.

Most solicitors will discuss the case for free for a short while so they can tell you what they're proposing and quote you what they'd expect the next step to cost you.
              I'd guess mostly by phone right now.
              Call a couple of local firms, people with offices on or above a high street, and see who they put you through to when you say you need to tsalk to someone about a property issue.
              Pick the one you like most.

Comment

Thanks, I will do that on Tuesday. Thanks for advice I really appreciate it.

Comment

I am live in landlord and it’s my home since 2018. There are no locks on the doors. There was no verbal agreement that the room will be exclusive. I can access room anytime.
                  I have given him all his belongings back last week.
                  In the solicitors letter he is providing evidence of WhatsApp massages that we have sent him numerous links about covid 19.
                  Also there was massages that he demanded me back the full month pay and deposit, however he have deleted that since.
                  "There was no verbal agreement that the room will be exclusive". Look I've lived in many house shares over many years and I've never thought it would need to be said that you don't enter someone elses bedroom without blantant permission! I don't think you know how a personal feeling of security impacts someones mental health.

Comment

Originally posted by Abstra616 View Post

"There was no verbal agreement that the room will be exclusive". Look I've lived in many house shares over many years and I've never thought it would need to be said that you don't enter someone elses bedroom without blantant permission! I don't think you know how a personal feeling of security impacts someones mental health.
                    A lodger cannot restrict access to "his" room. That does not mean people are not going to be mutually respectful. But the very essence of a "normal" lodger agreement is that either party can end the arrangement if they feel there is something wrong with it.

A house share is something completely different. But even in the case of a joint tenancy agreement house share there is NOTHING other than mutual respect to say that one sharer cannot enter the room of another (the same as I would not go rummaging in my own daughter's room without her permission - but it's not the law).

Comment

Corona virus has done wrong not him. You've effectively thrown him out without notice by saying that to him, of course you have. By telling you he'd be back when he had a permanent place he's effectively told you he's homeless, because of you. You've caused this man serious issues related to his personal safety and security and you've called him a dirty infectious threat His reaction is tame. He had to leave of course but you should have apologised for the situation and helped him find somewhere, instead you've abused him and then you start making a fuss about a wardrobe, you should have given him the money for it. You only see things from your own point of view and are willing to use the law to beat someone vulnerable up.

Comment

Abstra616,

^^^That is just codswollop. The very essence of a lodger is that they are living in somebody's home and they do what that someone wants or they leave. It cannot be any other way in any civilised society. It is neither corona not the OP that have caused problems for this person. It is the government who have created a stultified fossilised housing market in which people are too scared to take a chance on potential tenants or lodgers under all sorts of circumstances including the current ones.

Most people are worried about dying (whether that is realistic or not is another matter). They are also worried about getting raped in their homes and all sorts of other things that are really none of your business.

Comment

Abstra616,

If you read my story carefully than you would understand that mutual agreement was made that he has found solution he has where to stay and that he asked me money back for full month rent. I gave him money for full month rent+deposit+money for wardrobe! Plus his screaming that he hopes I will get corona virus and die doesn’t give me him any sympathy for him!

Comment

Additionally I have never told him that he must leave immediately, I told him ‘as soon as you find something’ to leave! Which also can be seen in whatsap messages what is attached to solicitors letter. I think he deliberately went to leave somewhere ASAP to claim he is homeless and start the legal action against me. Also I can see the whatsap messages was screenshot on the spot coz I can see that I am typing on the chat photos! Looks like he planned this! I never gave him time when he need to leave I said to start looking coz we don’t feel safe while he is at home! Also I did offer help to look.

Comment

Originally posted by Abstra616 View Post
                              Corona virus has done wrong not him. You've effectively thrown him out without notice by saying that to him, of course you have. By telling you he'd be back when he had a permanent place he's effectively told you he's homeless, because of you.
                              The landlord didn't give the person notice at all.
                              They asked them to leave "when they could".

It took the person two days to find somewhere else to stay and then they did a financial deal with the landlord which, in part, compensated them for the inconvenience.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Unlicensed and HMO and room size
                                by DPT57
                                Actually I think the room size regulations in the Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (Mandatory Conditions of Licences)(England) Regulations 2018 are limited to licensable HMOs. The Part X Housing Act 1985 space standards would apply, but I believe that in these, a room that is smaller than...
                                25-01-2022, 17:15 PM
                              • Unlicensed and HMO and room size
                                by zrux
                                My area doesn't need a HMO licence for 4 bed property. The license is only reqd for a 5 bed and more.

I have a 4 bed property which I rent out to students as a 3 bedroom house. The 4th bedroom size is bit less than 6.51 sq meters reqd for a HMO license and as a result I have never allowed...
                                25-01-2022, 14:11 PM
                              • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                                by theartfullodger
                                IHT and/or CGT exposure?
                                25-01-2022, 17:05 PM
                              • Inherited a few rentals
                                by Landlord7289
                                Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
                                25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                                by theartfullodger
                                Serve (yourself) s8 for arrears today.

Sounds like in addition to agent lack-of-perfection the Tenant hasn't heard the message.

Can we assume you'll provide no reference or only a full, honest one, and will instruct agent to do likewise?

Have you formally gone...
                                25-01-2022, 17:04 PM
                              • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                                by Beeble
                                We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
                                25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
                              • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                                by jpkeates
                                This is pretty much me, although my agent is very good and doesn't need much "rein".

They have a high street presence, which tenants like (makes the agent more real) and have multiple people to answer phones.
                                And they have a mostly female staff, which is a big plus for ...
                                25-01-2022, 16:51 PM
                              • Greetings, I Come in Peace
                                by AVJ113
                                Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
                                20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
                              • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                                by jpkeates
                                Paperwork shouldn't be an issue in claiming unpaid rent.
                                Unpaid rent is usually easy to prove - the tenant's paid some and has obviously been renting something.

The issue is usually that the tenant doesn't have the money they owe.

The lack of agent and paperwork will...
                                25-01-2022, 16:48 PM
                              • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                                by Hudson01
                                As said above, unless being a landlord has been a childhood dream (weird if it were), i vote to sell and move on. A lot of experienced LL's are selling up anyway due to a multitude of rubbish from the govt, in your position, simply reap the reward of your late fathers good financial decisions and enjoy...
                                25-01-2022, 16:44 PM
                              Working...
                              X