Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washing Machine/Rent arrears

Hi Everyone,

I'm a former tenant of a property and I'm looking for some advice. I rented a property in London for 7 years with my GF and moved out in February of this year. I still owe 2 months rent arrears and this is being paid of in agreed installments through the estate agent.

When we moved in, there was no inventory. Lucky for us. However, there were no white goods in the property and when pressed the landlord refused to purchase any. We subsequently purchased a fridge and a washing machine. The latter was replaced new in 2016 as the first one was second hand and had a short life expectancy.

I did not have enough room when leaving the property to take these items and I moved to a different city. I'm now trying to get the cost of these items offset against the rent arrears but the estate agent is claiming as there is no inventory there is no record of us purchasing them. I have the email trail with the agency of course. That's not the issue.

Do anyone know how much in value these items go down when in use and my rights in knowing full well the landlord won't replace these items for the new tenants as they're both newish items.

The agency is of course a pain in the ass and I don't want to continue paying the installment plan for rent arrears when it's likely not the correct figure. There is also brand new garden furniture which I know they'll use. They have said I can come collect these items but I moved to Scotland. They know full well I can't collect. What with corona-virus too. I have also been laid off from work.

Can any experienced voices help me please?

Thanks

Greg

Sorry, but I don't think it's good news.

Disregarding what the agency are saying about the situation, essentially you've abandoned your property and the landlord can try and arrange for you to collect them or they can dispose of them.
    They have no value to offset against your debt unless you and the landlord agree otherwise.

The landlord can charge you the cost of storing or disposing of the items and, if they sell them, have to keep the proceeds in case you demand them from them.

So the effect of your leaving things behind probably increases what you owe, nor reduces it.

They can't use them if they're yours either. But it's up to you to enforce that (and that's expensive and complicated and not going to happen).
    They'll simply claim not to be using them and you won't be able to know what's happened.

If the agents are actually claiming that they or the landlord bought the items, they're making a stupid mistake, though, and you might want to suggest they look up theft by conversion.
    But their being wrong doesn't make your position any better really.

Pay off the rent you owe and forget it.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Your post is correct. The agency isn't claiming the items as theirs, they're just using the lack of an inventory to strengthen their positon. The landlord is old, almost 109 years old and is a good man. I know he would not go to the bother of charging for the storage of said items. For him, he'd be happy I believe to keep them on in the property for new tenants. The house is also a bit of a dive.

I'm liasing with the agency who liase with the landlord. I just want to go to them with a reasonable figure on these items which I know they will not go through the hassle of removing and replacing. I just want to touch base here with a reasonable figure which benefits everyone. This goes for the washing machine, garden furniture and fridge.

I'm doing this as I'm broke. If I could pay off the arrears, I would but I can't and paying less suits right now given the corona-virus.

Cheers

Comment

I think you want your cake and eat it!

You left the property knowing full well you wasn't taking them with you and now you are trying to charge the Landlord for them. On top of that you owe rent! I think you are lucky your not getting charged for the removal of them. Sorry to be blunt.

Comment

You are asking how quickly they depreciate and I think DPS work on 5 year lifespan , though clearly the fridge or a Miele machine would be expected to last much longer - so depending on the quality and condition you would be lucky to get £200 allowance for both, but worth asking for.
          what's the worst that can happen ?

Comment

Originally posted by Washingmachine44 View Post

Do anyone know how much in value these items go down when in use
            I have low quality machines still going strong more than 20 years old. I've also replaced one that was 2 years and 2 months old (I remember looking up the just out of date warranty- bearings had gone)

https://www.tenancydepositscheme.com...sing-items.pdf

It is reasonable to expect, in general terms, an average quality washing machine to have a lifespan of 5 years in a tenanted property.

-which implies a working washing machine over 5 years is worthless, which is obviously nonsense.

Try looking up similar aged models on fleabay.

(although I wouldn't try it on personally and think you're wasting your time as per the above replies)

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
              what's the worst that can happen ?
              You have to look at yourself in the mirror every morning?
              Karma?

Or on a practical level;

The landlord is old, almost 109 years old and is a good man.

The stress finishes off the landlord. The grandson then takes over the estate and is not such a good man. He is very upset at the tenant's low behaviour after the old man had been so decent about it all. The grandson then takes out a CCJ against the debt and uses all legal means to enforce it. (or illegal means)

Comment

I'm doing this as I'm broke. If I could pay off the arrears, I would but I can't and paying less suits right now given the corona-virus.
                Revisit the repayment plan.

You know you owe the money, but, right now, can't pay what you thought you could.
                That's fair enough.

Offer the agent/landlord a revised plan based on your new circumstances.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I think you shouldn't have anything for the appliances. You left them behind for someone else to deal with. I've just had to help lift a washer dryer upstairs to a flat. It's very hard work. If you wanted to sell them you should have sorted that out before you left them there.

Comment

As Slooky says...... you left them behind, i have had to clear all manner of junk from my properties and all at my time and cost, if you wanted them you should have arranged to remove them, if not then they would end up in the skip or similar if it were my property.

Comment

The landlord is old, almost 109 years old and is a good man.

Cheers
                      He rented out a property and refused to provide a washing machine or even a fridge ?
                      You must have had very bad experience of landlords if that's a good one :-(

Comment

The only thing is the cited items are not junk. They are working items which to any sane objective mind gives the landlord the opportunity not to have to purchase these items at a higher cost. Setting aside the arrears, which is a separate issue, my proposal suits both parties, less financial headaches and improved liklihood of a continuous tenancy.

The posts that suggest I want to have my cake and eat it are clearly crafted by landlords with an axe to grind.

Cheers

Comment

I meant he is a good man in that he only increased the rent minimally over a 5 year period. However, the house was such a dive that I guess he couldn't have done so without updating the interior.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post

He rented out a property and refused to provide a washing machine or even a fridge ?
                            You must have had very bad experience of landlords if that's a good one :-(
                            Council/social housing nearly always comes without them.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

Council/social housing nearly always comes without them.
                              Balderdash. I rent many properties to councils and they all insist on fridges.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenants struggling to pay rent...payment plan or move them on?
                                by Perce
                                In what ways can small claims court impact S21 or S8 ? Does anybody has experienced?...
                                29-05-2020, 22:38 PM
                              • Tenants struggling to pay rent...payment plan or move them on?
                                by Mavis808
                                I have a Tenant Couple who have informed me this week that they can not afford the rent this month. Naturally they have blamed this on the Coronavirus however they have paid their rent 1 week late often, sometimes longer so have struggled in the past.

I kindly said I would help with a payment...
                                24-05-2020, 18:20 PM
                              • S21 notice
                                by Uklondoner
                                My tenant is on rolling contract. Since 18/04 he has not paid the rent only paid a quarter of the owed rent recently. I am ready to serve him s21. Because he is hard to talk to and being dishonest to me. Does the s21 include the time for eviction? You might say 3moths but I will say 2 weeks whatso...
                                29-05-2020, 21:52 PM
                              • Reply to Section 21
                                by Perce
                                It is not clear yet what is going to happen with evictions. The ban may be extended till the end of the year. It is becoming almost impossible to evict a tenant. The government will make a decision shortly....
                                29-05-2020, 20:24 PM
                              • Section 21
                                by zrux
                                Hi

My tenant was struggling to pay rent, they wanted to move to council house. And asked me to serve notice.
                                I served them the section 21 Notice on 28Apr2020 and gave them 4 months to vacate the property on 31-Aug

Since then the tenant says he doesn't want to move out...
                                28-05-2020, 13:18 PM
                              • Reply to Section 21
                                by MdeB
                                Yes for S8G8, but for the discretionary grounds it is for the LL to persuade the judge....
                                29-05-2020, 19:56 PM
                              • Reply to Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
                                by Stew
                                I understand you are upset but chase the person named on the lease, if they are together still it will impact the both of them so chasing for the CCJ on the named tenant will still impact the one not named as it will carry forward with them if they don't pay right away and when they try and rent again...
                                29-05-2020, 18:55 PM
                              • Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
                                by MadLL
                                Apologies if I have posted this before, but I cannot find my original post, if I did indeed post!
                                I rented my property to a tenant. I knew at the start of the tenancy that the partner planned to move in at a later date, although the tenant denied the partner ever moved in as I expect they did...
                                29-05-2020, 17:30 PM
                              • Reply to The tenant won't pay due rent
                                by Perce
                                DPT57

I agree and this is a problem. Very difficult to find someone you can trust that they would do a good job.

It looks like one has to become a solicitor first to be able to deal with solicitors. Solicitors forget half of the things you tell them, make errors, expect...
                                29-05-2020, 18:52 PM
                              • The tenant won't pay due rent
                                by Uklondoner
                                The tenant just told me he can't pay not even half and didn't apply for benefit probably doesn't know how to. He said I can call Police. What to do now? I know the government back people like him....
                                18-04-2020, 18:34 PM
                              Working...
                              X