Tenant moved father in. Advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    If the daughter has moved him in, she's given him the right to live there, not the landlord.
    That's why it's quite important that the landlord doesn't do anything!
    I think its a risk for the landlord as he has been told formally of the fathers presence.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post

I think its a risk for the landlord as he has been told formally of the fathers presence.
      Can you expand please?

Comment

Its now impossible for you to deny knowledge of his presence and as its a breach of your tenancy agreement you could reasonably be expected to at least investigate it. The risk is probably fairly small, a taking jpkeates point, it may be sufficient for you to write to the tenant and point out the requirements of the Immigration Act 2016 and stating that its her responsibility to check this.

Comment

it may be sufficient for you to write to the tenant and point out the requirements of the Immigration Act 2016 and stating that its her responsibility to check this.
          That's an excellent idea - something I wish I'd thought of!

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

There is a widespread misunderstanding about the essential nature of a tenancy. Concentrating solely on landlord and tenant law, if property is let without any conditions imposed the tenant is free to use it for any purpose he likes and that includes having others occupy the property with him. Of course landlords can, and regularly do, impose restrictions. If you wish to restrict the number of occupants you must say so clearly. Even if you do, the restriction must be reasonable having regard to the accommodation in the property. Restricting occupancy to one person is fine if what is let is a bedsit with a single bed. However, it is not if what is let is a three-bedroomed house. You run the risk that you will be found to be derogating from your grant because it is reasonable to suppose that it is in the contemplation of the tenant that all the bedrooms will be used by residents.

By all means prohibit subletting and taking in lodgers or impose conditions preventing overcrowding or the property from becoming an HMO, but refrain from saying how many persons may occupy the property unless it is a bedsit. Imposing restrictions on the number of occupants is a recent innovation the sole purpose of which is to allow the landlord to increase the rent or charge a fee for consent.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
              Imposing restrictions on the number of occupants is a recent innovation the sole purpose of which is to allow the landlord to increase the rent or charge a fee for consent.
              That might be true in some cases, but there are often restrictions imposed on landlords by insurers, mortgage lenders and superior leases.

A requirement that all adult occupants of a let property are on AST agreements is common. Or "AST or similar", which is less helpful.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Imposing restrictions on the number of occupants is a recent innovation the sole purpose of which is to allow the landlord to increase the rent or charge a fee for consent.
                Or to avoid being prosecuted for overcrowding?

Comment

That's why it's quite important that the landlord doesn't do anything!
                  Including raising the rent!

I don't agree that increased wear and tear is sufficient to justify a 10% rent increase (as you previously suggested).

Comment

I used to consider that when dealing with some of my tenants I had been outmaneuvered. I think that this is what is about to happen with you.
                    It would not surprise me if as they have registered the father with the council, their next step if to get her father listed on your tenancy agreement, she then moves away leaving an unemployed 64 year old with little english as your sole tenant.
                    If it was me I would as soon as possible serve notice to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
                      I don't agree that increased wear and tear is sufficient to justify a 10% rent increase (as you previously suggested).
                      I wouldn't link the two things, I'd just put the rent up.

Originally posted by Always Problems View Post
                      It would not surprise me if as they have registered the father with the council, their next step if to get her father listed on your tenancy agreement, she then moves away leaving an unemployed 64 year old with little english as your sole tenant
                      The same thought occurred to me, which is another reason for not changing the tenancy.

Comment

it may be sufficient for you to write to the tenant and point out the requirements of the Immigration Act 2016 and stating that its her responsibility to check this.
                        Isn't that the responsibility of the landlord and not the tenant?

Comment

It's the responsibility of whoever gives the person permission to reside in the property.

Comment

That might be true in some cases, but there are often restrictions imposed on landlords by insurers, mortgage lenders and superior leases.
                            It is certaintly desirable to make sure that a tenancy agreement dovetails with such requirements. However, either requirements are reasonable or they are not whoever imposes them.

A requirement that all adult occupants of a let property are on AST agreements is common. Or "AST or similar", which is less helpful.
                            Just because requirements are common does not mean they are reasonable. A lot is common is BTL which was once rare.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
                              Or to avoid being prosecuted for overcrowding?
                              That can be covered by an express covenant aganst overcrowding.

Comment

Just because requirements are common does not mean they are reasonable. A lot is common is BTL which was once rare.
                                I agree with the sentiment, but, day to day, have to deal with the way things are, not the way I would like them to be.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dont have access to a printer
                                  by AndrewDod
                                  The raft of recent legislation pretty much requires that you print a planet destroying amount of paper (and some parts of it, such as the rather wonderful "How to rent" booklet are designed so as to require an entire ink cartridge worth of ink per page).

Strangely enough the...
                                  30-05-2020, 02:24 AM
                                • Dont have access to a printer
                                  by jtufty
                                  Hi,

I have a new tenant moving in. Ive got the contract and Condition Report ready to go but I dont have access to a printer. Is it enough for me to email these to the tenant and ask them in writing to respond theyre happy with it all?

Thanks...
                                  28-05-2020, 06:19 AM
                                • Reply to Tenants struggling to pay rent...payment plan or move them on?
                                  by Perce
                                  In what ways can small claims court impact S21 or S8 ? Does anybody has experienced?...
                                  29-05-2020, 22:38 PM
                                • Tenants struggling to pay rent...payment plan or move them on?
                                  by Mavis808
                                  I have a Tenant Couple who have informed me this week that they can not afford the rent this month. Naturally they have blamed this on the Coronavirus however they have paid their rent 1 week late often, sometimes longer so have struggled in the past.

I kindly said I would help with a payment...
                                  24-05-2020, 18:20 PM
                                • S21 notice
                                  by Uklondoner
                                  My tenant is on rolling contract. Since 18/04 he has not paid the rent only paid a quarter of the owed rent recently. I am ready to serve him s21. Because he is hard to talk to and being dishonest to me. Does the s21 include the time for eviction? You might say 3moths but I will say 2 weeks whatso...
                                  29-05-2020, 21:52 PM
                                • Reply to Section 21
                                  by Perce
                                  It is not clear yet what is going to happen with evictions. The ban may be extended till the end of the year. It is becoming almost impossible to evict a tenant. The government will make a decision shortly....
                                  29-05-2020, 20:24 PM
                                • Section 21
                                  by zrux
                                  Hi

My tenant was struggling to pay rent, they wanted to move to council house. And asked me to serve notice.
                                  I served them the section 21 Notice on 28Apr2020 and gave them 4 months to vacate the property on 31-Aug

Since then the tenant says he doesn't want to move out...
                                  28-05-2020, 13:18 PM
                                • Reply to Section 21
                                  by MdeB
                                  Yes for S8G8, but for the discretionary grounds it is for the LL to persuade the judge....
                                  29-05-2020, 19:56 PM
                                • Reply to Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
                                  by Stew
                                  I understand you are upset but chase the person named on the lease, if they are together still it will impact the both of them so chasing for the CCJ on the named tenant will still impact the one not named as it will carry forward with them if they don't pay right away and when they try and rent again...
                                  29-05-2020, 18:55 PM
                                • Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
                                  by MadLL
                                  Apologies if I have posted this before, but I cannot find my original post, if I did indeed post!
                                  I rented my property to a tenant. I knew at the start of the tenancy that the partner planned to move in at a later date, although the tenant denied the partner ever moved in as I expect they did...
                                  29-05-2020, 17:30 PM
                                Working...
                                X