Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing of check out inventory

Evening all,
    Just wanted a little advise from the shared wisdom and experience that exists here...
    What is considered to be the valid timing of a check out inventory?
    Our formal notice (and hence possession) expires on the 12th however due to cross over with the new property we vacated early, the letting agent, upon hearing this, then requested that we send them the keys which we duly did at the weekend (recorded delivery, proof of postage). I now wonder whether this impacts the timing of the check out inventory. Does the fact that we have handed over all access to the property early mean that the check out should have been carried out early or is it still valid if carried out in line with the formal surrender of the property on the 12th?

Personally speaking when I've both been a tenant and a landlord I've handed over the keys or picked up the keys at the time of the inventory. Generally speaking if a landlord is self managing then its easier as they can do with you there. I've found it's a bit more difficult sometimes with agents as they manage lots of property.

I think in your case the agency are within their rights to wait to do the inventory later as per the formal check out date or later but I believe they should raise any issues within a resonsable amount of time. I might be wrong here and I'm sure others will correct me but I think the deposit has to be returned in 10 working days, so that gives the agent/landlord at max 10 working days to inspect and carry out the inventory.

When I've checked out of a property I always take a lot of pictures to prove the state of the property at my point of departure should it be questioned later.

As a landlord I always take a lot of pictures and do an inventory report on check in however on check out I normally just give the house the once over and wish them the best and say I'll return the deposit asap (which I do via the government deposit scheme), I'm not interested in being picky

All the best Stew.

Comment

If the agent enters to carry out the check out, without giving you formal notice, I'd suggest that the tenancy has actually ended already.
      There's an implicit surrender and acceptance.

So I don't think it was the smartest move by the agent.

Anyone would be well advised to leave a few days gap before entering a property previously occupied by someone else right now (I'd leave at least 3 days, personally).
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The agent requested us to do a video walkthrough of the property to show to a prospective new tenant, at which point I told them we had vacated early, he then requested the keys which I happily provided (and kept evidence as such). The receipt of these were acknowledged in writing by the agent. Given this I think it’s clear the agent intends to now access the property, whether for the check out or for the purpose of doing this video walkthrough. I just wondered whether this would now in essence demonstrate our surrender (as alluded to above) and therefore mean that any check out should be carried out at the earliest opportunity to remain valid or whether it would remain valid if carried out after the contractual end date of the tenancy on the 12th, at which point we would have had no control over the use of or access to the property for in excess of a week.

Comment

Originally posted by SE_Renter View Post
          and therefore mean that any check out should be carried out at the earliest opportunity to remain valid
          The check-out assessment can be done at any time.

The longer it is left, the less the LL is likely to be able to rely on it, particularly for "dust".

If you agree with their report, then it does not matter.

If you disagree with the report and it goes to dispute resolution, then you can submit the evidence you have on returning the keys and the time to doing the assessment as supporting evidence to your case.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X