Remove subletting clause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove subletting clause

One of my tenants' lease runs out soon and they get large bonuses which are uncertain in the current climate. To ease the burden of paying rent they are asking whether I can remove the subletting clause from the contract.
    I am inclined to agree because I cannot afford to have it vacant.
    ​​​​​​What are the dangers to me from this?

Falling foul of mortgage or lease conditions.

Comment

That they sublet to a wholly unsuitable tenant that you would never have chosen yourself to relieve themeselves of the liability

Comment

If you allow them to take a lodger, it's very easy for them to get rid of the lodger if they turn out to be a bad'un. Your tenant can take a month's deposit which can be used against unpaid rent. And you can make clear that your tenant is liable for any damage their lodger may cause.

Comment

If there's two of them and they take on a lodger, the property will become an HMO, which it is unlikely to be set up to be.

It may breach any mortgage lenders, insurers, head lease or planning terms or rules.

If there's another resident and they move out, that person becomes your responsibility.

I wouldn't make the change and I'd explain it's due to the HMO issue.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X