Tenant won't pay the rent any help from the government?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant won't pay the rent any help from the government?

Due to the current situation the tenants seems have enough excuse to not to pay the rent on time or don't pay at all. What help can we landlord get from the government apart from the mortgage holiday? Thanks

You can sell your property and live on the cash. Why do you need any more help than that? It's not the job of the government to protect everyone's lifestyles during this period of national catastrophe.

Comment

S21 notice & application for a possession order in 3 months, if rent not brought up to date, is all the government help I need.

Comment

I think you have realised from the other posters that the answer is no

Your rights are exactly the same as no-coronavirus, if they don't pay, you evict. The government have put in a few extra protections for tenants meaning evicting will be harder/longer and although that may seem unfair, protecting you and protecting tenants are different things -
        • Tenant potentially becomes homeless and as well as the human sacrifice becomes a burden on society
        • You lose some money on an investment that you entered into always knowing carried risk
        A popular potential solution (as a large number of people will be on 80% wages) is to offer 20% deferral for 3 months, with the balance to be paid off over (say) 6 months.

Comment

The tenant just told me he can't pay not even half and didn't apply for benefit probably doesn't know how to. He said I can call Police. What to do now? I know the government back people like him.

Comment

• DPT57
            DPT57 commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Perce View Post
            I rented the flat via one of the largest agencies. It is their job to register deposits, give EPC, GSC etc. Otherwise for what we are paying them ?
            I agree with you in principle, but in practice Agents often dont know enough about the law to get everything right and the consequences are almost all with the landlord. Not a risk I'd be willing to take

• Perce
            Perce commented
            Editing a comment
            DPT57

I agree and this is a problem. Very difficult to find someone you can trust that they would do a good job.

It looks like one has to become a solicitor first to be able to deal with solicitors. Solicitors forget half of the things you tell them, make errors, expect you to know everything and tell them what you want. Property agencies are the same. If I want an answer I have to get confirmation from 3 people.

Issue s21 notice IIWY.

Comment

I have a similar situation. Issued s21. Have to wait now for 3 months,

Comment

Thanks, what is the point? I can issue now but have to wait for 3 months for it be executed?

Comment

Originally posted by Perce View Post
                I have a similar situation. Issued s21. Have to wait now for 3 months,
                Also according to the government guidelines I need to give him things like EPC, Gas cert and how to rent before he moved in then I can issue s21, but the thing is I didn't give those to him before.

Comment

Then issue S8 when he is 2 months in arrears. You will need tenancy agreement and proof that he did not pay rent. EPC, gas certificate etc are not required. You will still need to wait for 3 months before you can issue a claim to court.

Comment

Originally posted by Uklondoner View Post
                    Also according to the government guidelines I need to give him things like EPC, Gas cert and how to rent before he moved in then I can issue s21, but the thing is I didn't give those to him before.
                    Give them to him now and then serve notice.

They're not guidelines, they're laws.
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks so I can serve s21? But still have to wait for 3 months to get him out? He is on rolling contract now.

Comment

I have to wait for 3 months as no repossession claims can be started before 3 months. What worries me is that 3 months will be extended for another 3 months if lockdown will still be in place. For rolling contract the same rules apply. No eviction for 3 months. But you can serve a notice. For S21 you will need your gas Certificate and Rent guide given to the tenant before he moved in. Also check deposit protection. You need to get advice if you want to serve S21 since you don’t have the right doc. S8 does not need gas certificates etc.

Comment

My tenant won’t won’t become homeless but I have lost my only income. Not all tenants are honest and you cannot come to any agreement with them. They refuse. One can find a solution if tenants are honest.

Comment

As said already, your only option is to start the eviction process, as you say some tenants will do what they can to avoid paying as this is how they live their lives, i guess the trick is to spot them and do not let to them, easier said than done i know, i suspect there are many more like your tenants out there ready to take advantage of this golden opportunity (in their eyes), good luck.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X