Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent Repayment holiday

I was hoping for some advice.

My landlord has kindly offered us a rent payment break as he can potentially get a 3 month mortgage repayment holiday on the buy to let flat that we rent through him.

I am self employed and not in financial difficulty yet as I have enough savings to see me through three months which includes paying rent. Also, the chancellor has announced that I will be getting 3 months 80% of my self employed/ tax return average divided by 3 months in June which as far as i know I am eligible for.

Please advise best route here.

Well there is a difference between living at zero rent and having rent deferred.

Your rent will simply be deferred -- if offered. So you will have to pay double rent later. I cannot see the point, unless you plan on doing a runner (with all that this entails).

The landlord's mortgage will still be payable -- only a little later. And the mortgage might only constitute a small part of her costs.

Comment

I would suggest all the time you can pay your rent in full do it - there may be a time later on when you cannot and you will appreciate the holiday more then. What you don't want to do is build up a debt that will put you in financial difficulty later.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks Andrew,

I`m not sure I understand, I want to do the right thing of course. I certainly don`t want to do a runner and would never consider this option.

I don`t think the landlord has considered everything here. Could you please elaborate in layman`s terms so that I can explain it to him?

Comment

Just tell him you can afford to pay so will carry on as usual.

Comment

Thank you jpucng72 and DPT57. This is my gut feeling as well and I will continue to pay rent. After all, I should be getting 80% of my self employed tax return back/ divided my months so should not be out of pocket.

Comment

Flo1985,

In your case, any rent that you are 'let off' will need to be repaid asap and most landlords would expect (for their security) for it to be repaid within 6 months. So, if your rent is £1k, for up to 6 months you could be paying £1500 per month rent. You gain nothing.

The amount your landlord owes to his lender does not change, a 'holiday' for her is dealt in the same way but - although the repayment is likely over a much longer time (maybe not until the end of the mortgage), he will still have to pay it, plus whatever interest he accrues because his outstanding balance will be higher than it would have been without the Coronavirus. (if it's £3k total over say 10 years left on the mortgage, thats about £1k interest.)

Comment

Thank you Snorkerz. That does indeed make sense and thank you for replying.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Reasons to Exit the Private Rental Sector.....
                  by philg
                  so true i agree...
                  16-04-2021, 18:05 PM
                • Reasons to Exit the Private Rental Sector.....
                  by Claymore
                  Well this has really taken the biscuit. Almost 7 months ago I served my tenants with 6 months notice. Notice expired end of March and they are still in the house. I arranged a video call to get an update on their situation and well, 4 hours later I am still in shock!

Here's the...
                  14-04-2021, 00:13 AM
                • Reply to Estate Agent fees
                  by philg
                  very reasonable , some pay a lot more than this . i am just about to rent out a house , let only . i will be paying 75% of first months rent plus inventory fee to the estate agent...
                  16-04-2021, 18:01 PM
                • Estate Agent fees
                  by Affinity
                  Hi.
                  I need to find a new tenant for my one bedroom flat. As I have a new job and have little time to find tenants etc I have approached an estate agent.
                  Does it sound reasonable to you getting charged 9 per cent +vat monthly for the management of the property (which also includes fee...
                  15-04-2021, 21:39 PM
                • Reply to New House Is Filthy and Scruffy
                  by philg
                  so you signed the tenancy and then received the inventory which i take it you have not signed ? I would think they are jointly liable as they ahve not done what they have said and you are unhappy with it. it is not your responsibility , they should make it a nice place which is habitable . last year...
                  16-04-2021, 17:55 PM
                • New House Is Filthy and Scruffy
                  by emkat11
                  Hi, I’m a new tenant and was just looking on some perspective.

I signed for a property via a Lettings agent recently, I was told upon signing the inventory showed some cleaning discrepancies however I don’t mind cleaning so was happy to proceed. I’d had a viewing and was told everywhere...
                  16-04-2021, 17:46 PM
                • Reply to Sink blocked for almost 3 weeks
                  by philg
                  not too long ago i had a bath that would not empty , tried the usual sink unblockers to no avail. had to take all the drainage apart and clean it out ... it was old grouting that had blocked it and only physically cleaning it did the job . the op is quite right to inform the landlord and lets hope they...
                  16-04-2021, 17:40 PM
                • Sink blocked for almost 3 weeks
                  by sushi
                  My kitchen sink has been blocked for almost 3 weeks.

The landlord/agent has been dragging his feet getting a plumber out and when someone did come, they confirmed my suspicions that it's something more just needing to pour some unblocker down (this is why I haven't called someone out myself...
                  13-04-2021, 18:06 PM
                • Reply to Options if eviction ban is not lifted
                  by nukecad
                  Thanks jpkeates,

I was't sure at all how already having an existing PO and trying to start a new eviction process would work.
                  But suspected that it wouldn't work. or would cause problems.
                  16-04-2021, 17:24 PM
                • Options if eviction ban is not lifted
                  by Perce
                  Hello All

I am waiting for an eviction ban to be lifted but as time goes I lose hope that it will happen in the near future or ever. What then are our options to get our property back if the tenant never moves out ? My tenant won’t move out until bailiffs evict him. I have PO based...
                  16-04-2021, 10:07 AM
                Working...
                X