X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenants not willing to pay once back to normal

Hi All

Not sure if this has been covered.
    We have a tenant who’s happy to pay half the rent until they are back to work full time (currently furloughed)
    They have then said once normality resumes they won’t be able to pay back the additional rent that was missed previously.
    What are the options here please ?
    I appreciate mortgage holidays can be arranged but this only delays money owed to the lender

Any advice would be great thanks

s21 notice works a treat usually.

Comment

I think you need to explain that you are therefore not happy to accept only half the rent then (assuming that's the case).

Most people won't be able to pay more rent than they do per month currently (and will resent the hell out of their landlord for expecting it).
      To be honest, your tenant is pretty sensible to point this out.

Maybe live with 80% of the rent, as a genuine reduction not a payment holiday.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Although I’m quite laid back and totally get the situation that we are in, there’s no getting away from the fact the mortgage will always be owed after any holiday referrals.
        S21 is an option but Is something I wouldn’t want to put on anyone who’s struggling to pay once things go back to normal unless necessary.
        There seems to be a nice little loophole for tenants to at present. Not much protection for us honest landlords who am want to be firm but fair

Comment

What loophole so you see?
          The tenant can't unilaterally decide the rent for their property and, if they go into arrears can be evicted (although that is slower and more complicated than in normal times) and pursued for any debt they owe.

Other than the timescales, nothing has really changed.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Personally given they will be at home and not working and not going out spending or paying for holidays I think it's fair to ask why they could not pay 80% of the rent given they are on 80% of salary. If they were suggesting they could not pay the reminder back afterwards then I would want to see a full financial disclosure from them as I would see it being unfair if you have to dip into your rainy day fund just to avoid them dipping into their fund. Also would be keen to see a letter from the employeer stating that they are on 80% salary and the firm are not making that up to 100%.

From my own point of view over the last few weeks my spending has gone right down, I have no plans for holidays this year any more, I'm not having any meals out or even take aways, no petrol use etc etc. I would expect the tenant is doing the same and if not should be so 50% rent with no debt does not seem to be reasonable.

The hard thing will be working out who really needs the help and who is just asking for reductions. Any tenant that does not really need the help is really just making it worse for those that do need help, so you need to make sure you are helping the right people. This can only be done with open dialogue and proof of income/expenses. Those who don't want to share won't need the help.

Only my personal view, having been a tenant and a landlord.

All the best Stew.

Comment

I agree.
              What the tenant is asking is for you to pay instead of them.

And whether that's fair or not depends on the circumstances of both the landlord and the tenant.
              At one end of the scale, there's a landlord in a decent job who lets a property to fund holidays and high living.
              It might be reasonable for the landlord to forgo a holiday or two in order to help a tenant in genuine need.

At the other hand there are landlords who depend on their rental income to live and it seems less reasonable for them to contribute, even if the tenant is genuinely in need.

Which might be a bit harsh on the second tenant who's need is equal to the first. But no one said life was fair.

Comment

We have no idea how long this is going to go on for. I am prepared to offer a reduced rent where needed with the balance accruing as a debt. At the end of this nightmare I will take a decision whether to insist it is paid, ask tenants to leave or write it off. Which of the 3 will depend upon the circumstances of the tenant and whether I believe they have been genuine in their request for assistance or just trying to get a free ride!

We all need to share the pain where possible but individuals receiving Govt aid need to use it responsibly and continue to pay their bills where they can.

Good luck everyone and Be Kind

Comment

jpucng62,

That is the stance I’m happy to take.
                  Im there to help always have been, but don’t really like the way they’ve stated the additional outstanding rent won’t get paid.

Good Luck all

Comment

jpkeates,

Do you think any government will allow a tenant to be evicted during these times?
                    Even a year down the line, if a tenants is unable to pay full rent, I believe the law will be on their side in this situation.

Comment

One other important question: does the tenant have the option to leave in the near future? What if you play hardball, and the tenant gives notice? If the tenant has a renewal date coming up, or a break clause, would it not be easy for them to strike a deal with someone who has an empty property?

If they do leave, how long do you think it would take to replace them in this market?

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                        I think you need to explain that you are therefore not happy to accept only half the rent then (assuming that's the case).

Most people won't be able to pay more rent than they do per month currently (and will resent the hell out of their landlord for expecting it).
                        To be honest, your tenant is pretty sensible to point this out.

Maybe live with 80% of the rent, as a genuine reduction not a payment holiday.
                        If I was paid 80% of my pay, but didn't travel to.work and couldn't go out I would have more money left at the end of the month than normal.
                        I'm.working from home, and i reckon ive saved £70 a week.on fuel, £20 a week on lunches, and £50 a week.on not eating out. Plus other stuff. I reckon I'm saving £600 a month.
                        my point?
                        They can afford to pay 100% of the rent but dont realise it. Offering to reduce rent to 80% would be a fair compromise. When it's all over put the rent up.to 110% after 3 months at 100%

Comment

Originally posted by Logical.Lean View Post

I'm.working from home, and i reckon ive saved £70 a week.on fuel, £20 a week on lunches, and £50 a week.on not eating out. Plus other stuff. I reckon I'm saving £600 a month.
                          my point?
                          %
                          But you must have burnt more electricity gas than before.

Comment

Originally posted by Logical.Lean View Post
                            They can afford to pay 100% of the rent but dont realise it.
                            I suspect you may be over generous on this one, i think a lot of the tenants know exactly what they are doing, the post by '' Stew ' about paying 80% of the rent if they get the same amount of pay is totally right, and as said we have all noticed how our daily/weekly spend has dropped, there are a lot of chancers out there at the moment, if my tenants said what yours have said it would be remembered and they would certainly be evicted after all this is over, i agree we need to be kind but that goes both ways, at the moment i am not so sure this is the case.

Comment

I agree with Stew, during this period this is an ideal time to save money. There is nowhere to go and nothing to do.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Mandating Wifi
                                by spicelord
                                Nice idea on using a MIFI as it gets around the whole issue of needing access to their wifi in the first place to connect to the smart devices. But then some tenants may also want to get the alerts, which is fine as long as the MIFI device is locked down and can't be used to access the internet for...
                                24-06-2021, 20:58 PM
                              • Mandating Wifi
                                by spicelord
                                Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before. I'm renovating following a huge fire in the property and I'm additionally going to install Google Nest Smoke alarms to send a remote alert to my phone as well as ring an alarm for any occupants. Unfortunately this needs wifi which is the responsibility...
                                24-06-2021, 01:40 AM
                              • Reply to Roof Problems
                                by Hudson01
                                Given your LL appears to have employed total Muppets he should be moving you out until the job is done, his LL insurance should have cover for alternative accommodation.
                                24-06-2021, 20:04 PM
                              • Roof Problems
                                by Gary_236
                                Been a tenant in my flat for 7 years. Been a great tenant, always pay rent on time. No issues at all. I like the location, it's close to my friends, so everything is fine. The property is a house split into 4 flats. I am top floor flat. New landlord bought property last summer. I started to get a leak...
                                24-06-2021, 18:17 PM
                              • Reply to Should I tell my landlord?
                                by Hudson01
                                I have seen this exact situation in my job....... look to move, it will not be resolved. The flats i dealt with were purpose built so you would have expected the correct amount of sound separation, in your situation that will not even be there, you will go round in circles, have lots of stress and probably...
                                24-06-2021, 19:49 PM
                              • Should I tell my landlord?
                                by Bee82
                                Hi all, new to the forum! I’m just after some advice as to whether I should inform my landlord about a situation with my neighbours. Just for reference, I am renting a ground floor flat that was previously a house and is now two flats. As it’s an old building the walls are paper thin so it can get...
                                24-06-2021, 18:02 PM
                              • Reply to Should I tell my landlord?
                                by Section20z
                                Yeah, why not ? I would want to know about something impacting on my investment. I hope you reach some solution...
                                24-06-2021, 18:32 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant . log burner to replace open fire or electric night storage heater . Costs
                                by patrick27
                                No way I would replace or install a solid fuel appliance, way too dangerous and not environmentally friendly. Get some real nice ones on YouTube, that’s what I use at Christmas on TV…has everything…tree, gifts, fire even stockings. Just the job.
                                24-06-2021, 17:52 PM
                              • Tenant . log burner to replace open fire or electric night storage heater . Costs
                                by AnthonyNorris
                                Good afternoon.

I have a tenant at a house for 5 years now and had the chimney outside stack removed in March this year. Prior to this it was an open fire.

am I supposed to replace this with a log burner as it’s very costly for the installation, flue and liner and it’s...
                                23-06-2021, 12:03 PM
                              • Reply to Mandating Wifi
                                by nukecad
                                You can manually put them on different wifi chanels to prevent that.

Modern routers can work that out for themselves and set to a less used channel if needed, may take them a week or so to monitor who is using what channels and adjust....
                                24-06-2021, 16:44 PM
                              Working...
                              X