Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thousands landlords offering free home to NHS workers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52134369

Guys, if you want to help the NHS, give money to your local hospital every month like I do via link below. Don't give property for free, as it de-values every other property on the market, including others that you let out.
    Fundraise or donate with JustGiving, the worlds leading online fundraising platform, helping charities to make more with GiftAid

Comment

Another way of headlining this story could’ve been:-
      Woman unable to let property out through Airbnb due to covid 19 outbreak allows nhs worker to move in and cover the utility bills and council tax that she would have otherwise had to pay herself as nobody else wants to short term let it from her at the moment.

Not long ago Airbnb was quite rightly being blamed for the rise in rental prices and house prices now the landlords of these properties are being portrayed in a good light for letting nhs workers move in for ‘free’.

Comment

One of the silver linings of this corvid 19 cloud is the hope that it will put companies like AirBnB out of business.
        It started making a loss last year and was planning to launch itself into the stock market this year - and no has no business pretty much worldwide.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

This country seems unable to relate to the NHS in anything other than extremes. We are either lauding the institution and wanting to beatify its staff or demonising them for the actions of those doctors and nurses that have failed their patients.

NHS staff are amongst the few that can be certain of getting their full salary during this crisis and can therefore afford their rent.

Comment

I think the issue is staff who need to live somewhere other than where they normally do because they are a danger to the people they normally live with or can't travel safely to and from work.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Ok fine. But some landords jumping on this bandwagon are going to get into difficulty. They are probably not checking the terms of their mortgage or insurance to see whether they can allow rent free accommodation. Some will suggest the occupant pays the bills and council tax and will muddy the waters with regard to whether that's really rent and they have an undocumented tenancy. And what will they do if the occupant causes damage? I think we may be seeing the results of some of this altruism on the forum in the coming months.

Comment

Me too.

These arrangements aren't properly managed (or regulated) in normal times, so making the arrangements even less formal can't be a good idea.
                I mean the idea sounds good, but the devil's in the detail.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to getting evicted - but no paperwork
                  by jpkeates
                  Solicitors have a code of practice.
                  They can't conjure possession hearings out of thin air....
                  03-06-2020, 23:00 PM
                • getting evicted - but no paperwork
                  by beryl
                  I have today been told that I am getting evicted and that there is a hearing next week.
                  But I haven't received any Court papers, no notice to quit, no section 8, or section 21.
                  I don't even know how this is possible as I thought there was a ban on eviction hearings.
                  I owe rent yes,...
                  03-06-2020, 17:32 PM
                  by Jon66
                  Op said the landlord's solicitor emailed her.
                  03-06-2020, 22:34 PM
                • Reply to Mould/witholding rent/C19 eviction rights
                  by jpkeates
                  If there's mould in the property it almost has to come from condensation inside.
                  The (alkaline) lime in the plaster and the acid in the mortar mean that water coming from outside doesn't usually allow mould to develop.

Mould forms when water that condenses on the surface is left there....
                  03-06-2020, 22:23 PM
                • Mould/witholding rent/C19 eviction rights
                  by Borischelski
                  I wonder if I could trouble someone for advice, having recently become a Landlord for the first time ?

BACKGROUND
                  A year ago I inherited a small 1970s one bedroom flat in Birmingham.

The flat was originally heated with a couple of electric bar heaters....
                  02-06-2020, 09:37 AM
                • Reply to Leaving before s21 notice expires?
                  by jpkeates
                  I don't have any idea how this is meant to work.
                  But, the only people who really matter are the landlord and the tenant.

The agent works for the landlord, and if they've found themselves in a conflict if interest, have to resolve it in favour of the landlord.
                  They'll never accept...
                  03-06-2020, 22:12 PM
                • Leaving before s21 notice expires?
                  by Kj47
                  I have received a s21 notice to leave at the end of August (this includes the current extended 3 month covid19 period). I wish to leave the property early as I have now found another property to rent but this can only be ‘held’ for a period of 2 months by the letting agent. I have asked if I can...
                  03-06-2020, 17:41 PM
                  by jpkeates
                  Yes, the courts are still just about functioning, so a money claim is still possible, if unlikely.
                  If a landlord came here seeking advice about a tenant in arrears, I would suggest a money claim rather than a possession claim, in the first instance.

However, tou should still receive...
                  03-06-2020, 22:09 PM
                  by Jon66
                  Yes if they have claimed for it, but it depends on what basis the possession proceedings are made. I don't think there was sarcasm, just a character. Artfuls comment re benefits is referring to himself, and he gave good advice re shelter. And some landlords are bad we know that, but I'm not one of the...
                  03-06-2020, 21:58 PM
                  by beryl
                  Jon66: there were sarcastic responses from a person further up. It's there to read.
                  I did contact CAB and my local council. I told my landlord in 2014 there was a leak, nothing done. Same again in 2017, 2018. Told in 2019 bath tub was dangerous, don't bath, nothing done by LL. At that same...
                  03-06-2020, 21:43 PM
                Working...
                X