Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant giving notice under coronavirus?

Hi there,
    Have been searching the interweb all afternoon for some guidance on this.

We have some great longterm tenants who we fear will serve notice on us quite soon to go back to the countryside (yes not exactly what the countryside wants but there you go).
    It is not a straight forward contract situation which I won't even try to go into on here-life is too short!

I was wondering if anyone knows what is happening IN GENERAL with tenants giving notice under the coronavirus rules.
    If the contract states 1 month are they still obliged to give 1 month's notice or is this stretched out to 3 months as per the landlord's new rules for eviction/giving notice?
    Or are there any other considerations/guidance in the coronavirus rules?
    All the stuff on the internet appears to be from the side of a landlord giving notice and a tenant's rights but nothing the other way round.
    After all, if a tenant will find it hard to find a new place under the lockdown and has 3 month period at the moment then if a tenant gives notice then how can a landlord find new tenants under the lockdown?

Thanks in advance for any help given

I think you already knew there'd be nothing to help landlords, didn't you?

Sympathy. One of mine gave notice last week also.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your similar predicament.
      I didn't know fir sure but considering the amount of detail everywhere I thought there might be a specific line in the guidance somewhere that states "if a tenant wants to give notice then normal lease terms still apply!'
      So it would appear that a tenant can give notice and then landlords can't hold viewings. Fabulous!

Comment

Perhaps before you expect anyone to pull out their violin, you could let us know by how much your property has appreciated in value over the past decade?

Comment

Hi Hamilton,
          Thanks for your input-have a nice day!

Comment

Hi bilbobagg,,, unfortunately this won't be the case but try and take some comfort in the fact that you have had some great long term renters that have reduced any void periods and stopped the churn of checkin's and inventories for you..... and if you average it all out you probably have done better than many. I'm sure the fact that they stayed long term means your doing something right so you will end up parting on good terms.

All the best Stew.

Comment

Life may be short but we still require you to complete & paste https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...om-new-posters

If T gives NTQ, not during fixed Term, he must vacate after min 1 month, to expire at end of a NtRental period.

If you accept T NTQ, you could avoid any delay in Court process.

Comment

Hi Mariner,
                Thanks for the informative post. I was aware of the forum guidelines but didn't feel the need to go into massive detail (it really is a complicated contractual situation!) as it was a general question about govt legislation. Or lack of it in this particular instance! Thanks once again.

Stew Yes that's a very good point, it's easy to forget that isn't it. Having read your post and having had some time to reflect it's not as awful a situation due to the fact that they have been such good tenants for so long. Lots of others will be in the same boat too which isn't a good thing I suppose but that's the new world we're living in right now.

Comment

Originally posted by bilbobagg View Post
                  I was aware of the forum guidelines but didn't feel the need to go into massive detail .
                  But without the full facts on a complex case, how can we be sure the advice being given is right? And in turn, that means you can't rely on the advice given (though I strongly suspect it's right).

In a shop, you give something (money) and get something back (advice)
                  On the forum, you give something (the info requested) and get something back (the advice you want)

Ok, mini-rant over (don't know why it bugged me!)

Seriously, appreciate it is going to be an p.i.t.a. for you and we know re-letting is nigh-on-impossible, so condolences. Is the property mortgaged? Can you get any help from them?

Comment

Originally posted by hamilton View Post
                    Perhaps before you expect anyone to pull out their violin, you could let us know by how much your property has appreciated in value over the past decade?
                    If you have nothing constructive to say why bother saying anything at all?

Comment

Nothing has changed for tenants giving notice but Govt advice is not to move unless you have too.

If your tenants do give notice you might want to check they have considered the difficulties of moving at present - many removal firms are closed I believe. However if they go use the time to do any maintenance on the property so you are ready to go when the market picks up.

Coronavirus will not close us down forever and people will need to get on with their lives so hang tight. Good luck

Comment

They haven't given notice yet but you're worried they will? If I was you I'd offer them a rent reduction to entice them to stay longer and avoid having an empty property. Even when you think of the council tax bill you'll be liable for you'd be better off by quite a bit if they stay.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X