Landlord pulling out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord pulling out

I’m not sure if I’m in the right place but just wondering if anybody can help me please.
    I applied for a property that has been empty since December.. application accepted over night. I’m a single parent to two kids, a part time worker (earning 18 grand a year) and a post graduate doing a masters degree. Currently own a property that’s on the market and will be sold due to relationship breakdown. Told I didn’t earn enough (fair enough) and needed a guarantor which I catered for, all references been accepted. Was meant to be getting the keys on Monday, deposit and first months rent being paid today. I phoned today to pay it to be told by the manager the landlord ‘is thinking about it over night’ are they allowed to do this? Now I’m going to be stuck until end of lock down until I can even start looking again. Is there nothing to protect tenants either? Any help appreciated

Have you signed a tenancy agreement yet?
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

It's possible that the correspondence with the Agent, particularly their acceptance of your application and offer of the keys for Monday would be enough to form a contract, in which case they would be in breach of contract by not allowing you to take-up the tenancy. However, its possible that the Agent has made clear at some point that any offer is subject to contract, or that the correspondence doesn't quite stack-up. Even if it is an offer, they may still not go ahead with the tenancy and you would have to sue them to get redress and with Gov't advice on not moving etc etc, I'm not sure you would win.

Comment

You could possibly sue them for breach of contract. Unfortunately a sensible landlord is not going to be allowing tenancy agreements to start under the circumstances of recent government advice (about not moving, inability to do usual paperwork due diligence, and most particularly advice to tenants with regard to payment of rent - eventually rent will have to be paid in full, but arrears may not be recoverable from some tenants over a plausible period and without legal action) unless the tenant is bullet proof. Given your salary and the fact that you need a guarantor this is unlikely to apply to you. So blame the government.

You could offer to pay the rent for 6 months upfront, and have your guarantor named as a tenant on the agreement. That might help.

Comment

Moving house is permitted under the Coronavirus health act.

Comment

It’s an essential move due to leaving an abusive relationship. thanks for your help

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X