Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant on Universal Credit asking for Rent Refund

Hi all

I have a tenant on Universal Credit (a single mother with a 1 year old child). She's currently £100 in arrears. She paid the last month's rent in full, but soon after asked to clawback £100 to cover extra costs due to the coronavirus emergency, including extra food, a loan, electricity and gas costs and car/petrol costs. Her next Universal Credit payment (approx £850) is due in the middle of the month.

While in normal circumstances I wouldn't consider this kind of request, I'm unsure whether I should make some kind of compromise payment.

Have any other landlords had requests from tenants to clawback rent during the current crisis? If so, how did you respond?

Unless you are a bank and have surplus cash you should do it, if not don't expect to see the money back any time soon (if at all).

Comment

Is this an April fool? Can you imagine if you asked tenant to pay more one month, as you were a bit short?

Comment

It's not an April Fool! I wish it was.

Comment

A short and brief, no.
          Be a lot more careful who you let to in future.

Comment

I agree with all the 'no' answers.
            However, you might want to remind her that if you give her a temporary rent reduction then you will have to notify UC, who will then claw it back from her.
            Suggest she tries for a discretionary housing payment from the council (which I doubt she will get)

Comment

If you can afford to help someone who needs money badly enough to ask her landlord to help, it's a decent thing to do.
              If you can't afford it, it's a no brainer.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

She shouldnt be paying out much on car/petrol costs at the moment. Looks like a try on to me. I might generously make up a food parcel and leave on the doorstep or refer her to your local food bank if it is still operating. Food banks usually provide tins and long life whole milk but in this situation milk, bread, vegetables and bananas, some mince, tinned meatballs, pasta if you can get it, tinned rice pudding, custard, fruit, washing up liquid, soap toilet cleaner. Aldi is a good place to shop for food bank donations.

Comment

Thanks for your comments! buzzard1994, that's an inspired suggestion, and I'll follow your advice.

Comment

You should not agree a rent reduction. However, you could give her £100, and allow her to build a rent arrear. Make if clear, she has to pay it off over time. Ask her why, the father of the child or family are not helping out?

The Government is going to get rid of Section 21, so the only way to get your property back, is if there are rent arrears.

My supermarket shop has become more expensive, as the supermarket have got rid of offers, or the cheaper items are unavailable.

I would n't provide a food parcel, why risk a trip to the supermarket and catch something. If may be considered a gift. Stick to the lockdown.

Comment

UC rates have increased and so I am unsure why you have been asked to stump up the cash? Moreover right now most people's costs have decreased dramatically given there's nowhere to go and nothing to do!

Comment

? Moreover right now most people's costs have decreased dramatically given there's nowhere to go and nothing to do!
                        But they are burning more electricity & gas and mobile data than ever before.

Comment

Mobile data and her other bills are Ts resp.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X