Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me, As Guarantor

Hi

My son is home from Uni and depending on this unprecedented situation we are currently in, he intends to go back in September.

I have just received an email asking me to act as guarantor etc.

What would happen if this pandemic continues and he isn't able to move to the new property. Would he/me still be liable for the rent?

Assuming it's England or Wales...

If it's meant to be a new tenancy and he didn't move in, there would be no new tenancy, so he'd "only" be in breach of contract.
    That means the landlord would have to show that he had losses (which he would need to mitigate).

So it depends exactly what you're being asked to guarantee.

It's debatable whether lost rent is an actual loss in this case, but it's hard to be sure.
    If there's a total freeze on movement by then, it would probably be frustrated.
    If he could travel, but the uni was just closed, possibly not.

Is the decision needed because the contract starts in July?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Yes, property is in Wales.

The email says that an urgent response is needed as they will offer the property to someone else. I guess I will just go ahead and then worry about it if everything goes wrong.

Comment

I have also guaranteed for my student son - signed up at Christmas! However I have not seen the AST and it is not a deed so think I am fairly safe if there were any problems!
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by Claymore View Post
          The email says that an urgent response is needed as they will offer the property to someone else.
          How're they going to arrange viewings when everyone's in lockdown?
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
            How're they going to arrange viewings when everyone's in lockdown?
            Student lets are often agreed without them seeing the property, usually because they're in a different city or even country at the point where the property is 'reserved'.

Comment

Most decent properties in uni cities are rented prior to Christmas for the following year. Students do view usually because many are in Halls for the first year then move out the second (so they are at uni when looking for a house for the following year). However I am sure that some lets are being agreed this year without viewing as most students have gone home and will not be back until Sept
              Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

I think the Govt will do everything it can to get schools and Unis back for the new academic year.

You could ask for some sort of rebate if your son is not allowed to move in due to Govt restrictions - maybe half rent?

If it is a good house there is likely to be someone else who will sign up for it and the LL needs to secure the income. Unis need their students to come back too so everyone will be working towards the same outcome.

Good luck

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X