Gas certs due - no engineers :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas certs due - no engineers :(

As the title. I can't find an engineer. Does anyone have the same problem?

Does anyone know the government's advice on this?

Doh! There's an article on it in the news section

Comment

So, in summary, it seems to be:
      • LLs are still required to have checks done and GSC issued.
      • If there are problems, then LL must do their best to get it done and keep all evidence of their attempts.
      • That evidence can then be submitted as a defence for failing to have a GSC.

Comment

I can find gas engineer to do the check but tenants are not happy them entering the property, how can you persuade the tenants and reassure them it will be fine when this virus is so easily spreadable ?, And if the tenants then do get this virus then start blaming you and the engineer for possibly giving it to them ?

Comment

The tenants can try and blame who they like, but they'd have to have some way of showing that the engineer gave them the virus and breached a duty of care in so doing.

I can understand a tenant being reluctant, though.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I smell a ruse to avoid a s21 notice:

'Oh, we can't possibly let the gasman in. He might give us Corona virus'

Comment

But you can't evict with an S21 anyway, the courts are not processing evictions.

I had a boiler service/GSC booked with one of the big companies for last Tuesday, (3 months late but that's my LL).

Obviously the engineer didn't turn up to do the check.

Comment

My understanding is that courts have accepted s21 notices as valid if the landlord can evidence three documented refusals to allow access to the gas engineer.

Comment

I have a tenant who is shielding and does not want a gas engineer in the property. I have got this in writing from the tenant.

Comment

It’s funny how tenants become extremely accommodating if the boiler breaks down though!

I used to work for a housing association, after a couple of missed gas checks we capped off the gas meter outside...amazing how quick we were given access. Not all gas meters are outside unfortunately but if the gas or electric ever goes off, it’s a great opportunity to catch up with a allusive tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by patrick27 View Post

I used to work for a housing association, after a couple of missed gas checks we capped off the gas meter outside...amazing how quick we were given access.
                      Is that not a criminal offence?
                      Maybe harassment?

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post

Is that not a criminal offence? ( cutting off the gas )
                        Maybe harassment?
                        The object of a gas check is to see that the equipment is safe, and no leaks, and you don't kill anyone.

If you cannot see that the equipment is safe, and no leaks, and you won't kill anyone, then you have to assume the worst, and that it is not safe until an engineer says it's safe, if there is nothing to say it is safe, then it will be unsafe, - - therefore you cut off the gas.

If you have no M.O.T test certificate for your car, it is deemed unsafe until an engineer says it's safe and supplies a certificate.
                        No M.O.T, then you can't use the car on the road.
                        Refusal to allow a new "safe" Gas cert', then you can't use the gas equipment. --
                        Landlord has a duty to protect tenants, and if he / she is unable to certify the gas equipment is safe, then he / she must ensure those items do not get used.

Comment

My Gas engineer is available but my tenant dosent want it done. They are supposed to be "long term self isolating" I believe she has cleared off to her parents 250 miles away rather than as a single person self isolate alone. I have to pass the house on my way home and for 3 nights there have not been any lights on in the house. The rent is paid (at the moment)
                          And with our letting agent being closed I cant ask them to do an inspection.

Comment

You could serve a notice through the letterbox to inspect yourself and if the tenant doesn't object, you can use your own keys to carry out the inspection at least 24 hours later. However, this may not help you as the tenant has already objected to the gas check. I understand that the courts have in the past accepted three documented refusals by the tenant and allowed the possession hearing to take place.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
                              it is deemed unsafe until an engineer says it's safe and supplies a certificate.
                              This doesn't make sense. The cert only tells us that the equipment was safe at the time of the inspection. It tells us nothing about it 5 minutes after the engineer has left the property, unsafe or otherwise.

The certificate and the work carried out to issue it only serves to indicate that we're following best practice for safety. No one should assume it's safe or unsafe simply on the basis of the cert.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenants struggling to pay rent...payment plan or move them on?
                                by Perce
                                In what ways can small claims court impact S21 or S8 ? Does anybody has experienced?...
                                29-05-2020, 22:38 PM
                              • Tenants struggling to pay rent...payment plan or move them on?
                                by Mavis808
                                I have a Tenant Couple who have informed me this week that they can not afford the rent this month. Naturally they have blamed this on the Coronavirus however they have paid their rent 1 week late often, sometimes longer so have struggled in the past.

I kindly said I would help with a payment...
                                24-05-2020, 18:20 PM
                              • S21 notice
                                by Uklondoner
                                My tenant is on rolling contract. Since 18/04 he has not paid the rent only paid a quarter of the owed rent recently. I am ready to serve him s21. Because he is hard to talk to and being dishonest to me. Does the s21 include the time for eviction? You might say 3moths but I will say 2 weeks whatso...
                                29-05-2020, 21:52 PM
                              • Reply to Section 21
                                by Perce
                                It is not clear yet what is going to happen with evictions. The ban may be extended till the end of the year. It is becoming almost impossible to evict a tenant. The government will make a decision shortly....
                                29-05-2020, 20:24 PM
                              • Section 21
                                by zrux
                                Hi

My tenant was struggling to pay rent, they wanted to move to council house. And asked me to serve notice.
                                I served them the section 21 Notice on 28Apr2020 and gave them 4 months to vacate the property on 31-Aug

Since then the tenant says he doesn't want to move out...
                                28-05-2020, 13:18 PM
                              • Reply to Section 21
                                by MdeB
                                Yes for S8G8, but for the discretionary grounds it is for the LL to persuade the judge....
                                29-05-2020, 19:56 PM
                              • Reply to Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
                                by Stew
                                I understand you are upset but chase the person named on the lease, if they are together still it will impact the both of them so chasing for the CCJ on the named tenant will still impact the one not named as it will carry forward with them if they don't pay right away and when they try and rent again...
                                29-05-2020, 18:55 PM
                              • Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
                                by MadLL
                                Apologies if I have posted this before, but I cannot find my original post, if I did indeed post!
                                I rented my property to a tenant. I knew at the start of the tenancy that the partner planned to move in at a later date, although the tenant denied the partner ever moved in as I expect they did...
                                29-05-2020, 17:30 PM
                              • Reply to The tenant won't pay due rent
                                by Perce
                                DPT57

I agree and this is a problem. Very difficult to find someone you can trust that they would do a good job.

It looks like one has to become a solicitor first to be able to deal with solicitors. Solicitors forget half of the things you tell them, make errors, expect...
                                29-05-2020, 18:52 PM
                              • The tenant won't pay due rent
                                by Uklondoner
                                The tenant just told me he can't pay not even half and didn't apply for benefit probably doesn't know how to. He said I can call Police. What to do now? I know the government back people like him....
                                18-04-2020, 18:34 PM
                              Working...
                              X