Coronavirus - asking council for a break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coronavirus - asking council for a break

We have a properly that was vacated before the lockdown, the problem is, it is recommended that you don't do any viewings, and the people who are interested in the property so far are not interested unless they can have an actual viewing. In the meantime, we have any empty property that we're paying the mortgage on, and almost £150 per month in council tax.

Just wondering, has anyone had any luck asking the council for a break in council tax on a rental property? Landlords never used to have to pay the council when the property was empty, but I understand that it was brought in to help get properties back on the rental market quickly. But in at the minute there's probably a lot of properties out that that landlords want to rent out, but either don't want to move, or people are against virtual viewings.

Different local authorities have different policies about emply properties.
    Mine has never been free, it used to be 50% when empty, but that ended years ago.

I doubt there's any scope for local authorities not to charge council tax, even if they wanted to.
    And it's not as if they can stop providing the services to you that the tax pays for.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Get a family member to "move in" at least you'll get 25% off 😁

Comment

If you have people interested in the property I would suggest giving them lots of phots, floor plans etc and then trying to pick a suitable candidate then let them view. You can all wear gloves and socially distance, but by avoiding time wasters and unsuitable tentants before viewings you may be able to show one set of tenants the property and get it let.

We need to be creative in theses difficult times, as some people still need to move and we still need to let.

Good luck

Comment

Just a pre-warning, anything free or given away during these difficult times will come back to bite us all, I'm sure those fortunate enough to get council tax free or reduced (I'm sure no LL would, they seem to think we don't need any sort of help at this time), we will all pay for it in higher bills.

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
            We need to be creative in theses difficult times, as some people still need to move and we still need to let.
            People shouldn't move and properties will have to sit there empty for a lot of people.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Some people HAVE to move - my daughter is taking up a position in Derby Hospital shortly - she HAS to move to do her job as a key worker.

Comment

Good for her.
                She is something of an exception, though.

Comment

I'm in a similar situation. It would have been rented months ago, if the previous tenants had left the place in a similar state as to when they arrived. I've been somewhat irritated that I've had to pay 100% council tax while the work was done, surely when a place is left damaged the previous tenants should be the ones who pay the council tax if they are causing a longer void than usual, but I guess it is now just something to be factored in. I'd be surprised if local authorities give a discount, but I do think at least a 25% link single person households should at least apply. They give 100% discount for students, but nothing for the unemployed - so I'm still not sure I get the logic.

Comment

Write to the council tax dept and ask. I have done this, not heard back yet, but i'm asking the question just in case. These are extraordinary times.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X