Asking for 35% off rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ps. It’s not an HMO. It’s in a block which is 85% owner occupiers. Yes, they are sharing a flat. I want rid of it now anyway. Tired of dealing with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lillylisa View Post
      How does one draw up a contract for that?

Why would one want to?

Comment

To JpKeates. I agree with you. I can maybe reduce rent by a bit & some as a rent holiday, (not exactly a holiday!) How does one draw up a contract for that?
        I would start by saying that any reduction in rent would be very difficult for you personally as you rely on the rent to live.
        And ask, if they had any kind of rental reduction or holiday how and when they would pay it back?

And see how they respond.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I have little experience with this so please take that into account when looking at my comments as I don't want to make your problem worse, but looking at the income the occupants may be taking advantage of your kind nature. I have been very generous to people in my life at my own detriment so if I received a request such as you had I would ask to see evidence of reduced income so you could assess it yourself.

Some may find my comments unfair and the request intrusive but I feel that someone that was in genuine need would be prepared to be open with me.

I also am frugal with money so would want to check that I was being kind and considerate to the right people and not just anyone that asked for a hand out.

All the best Stew.

Comment

I am in a similar position in that I am an accidental landlord with 1 property for which I have a guarantor for the tenancy agreement.
            I self-manage and used the service from the RLA.
            during my research I found that a guarantor can only be called in to pay outstanding rent if the tenancy is within an assured shorthold agreement.
            this means if the tenancy rolls over into a periodic month to month tenancy then the guarantor becomes null and void, so you may want to consider this if you were basing all of your actions on being able to call on the guarantor. (Please do your own research before relying on this info though)

Comment

As stated, they appear to be in a better financial position than you...... say no and ask for facts/paperwork to back up why they now are in financial difficulty for you to even consider it, they appear to be chancers and you may be in for a rocky ride. I find guarantors more trouble than they are worth, if i need one..... that person does not move in. Simple.

Comment

Has your HA (LL) agreed to you sub-letting?
                What LLTraining have you undertaken?
                Please complete & paste https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...om-new-posters

Comment

Ps. It’s not an HMO. It’s in a block which is 85% owner occupiers. Yes, they are sharing a flat.
                  If it is three (or more) people and they are not all in the same household (related to each other by blood or marriage) then in law it is a HMO.

<Example of related to each other is: a man, his sister, and her husband/boyfriend>

Comment

they now say that I have to first serve an eviction notice before they will cover it. Of course I’m unable to do that right now.
                    Why are you unable to issue a S8/S21 notice?

Comment

I wouldn't get hung up about whether or not it's possible for the guarantor to be enforced. The mere threat of going to the guarantor will usually be enough for most people to pay if they can afford too. I would just say, you cannot afford that, and that based on the checks before the tenancy you believed that they would be a good position financially. If you were to offer any reduction in rent then you would be looking for redundancy evidence, like a letter from their employer. In the current circumstances, I'm not sure how easy it is for anyone to move

Comment

I went through Open Rent Who drew up the contracts. Surely, they wouldn’t be drawing up contracts which are not legally binding as they are a massive company and their paid service is for them to draw a legally binding rental agreement.
                        Just because they are a big company does not mean they have a full and accurate understanding/interpretation of the law.

This is just one area in which their understanding is deficient.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X