Chasing rent from NHS workers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chasing rent from NHS workers

I have a tenant who is a nurse and sometimes a bit late with his rent but I usually cut him quite a bit of slack because of the work he does etc. With the current climate I thought he would at least have secure work but he didn’t pay so I chased him up and he apologised and said he’s been working flat out etc. I feel a bit guilty chasing him for rent but need to keep things ticking over as I have quite a lot of tenants and some are already struggling. I would love to give him a rent break but I have to pay the mortgage company.

is it ok to chase nhs workers for rent at the moment or should I just leave him alone as he has enough to worry about?

Suggest to him he sets up Standing Order- No worries

Comment

At this time, I wouldn't chase anyone working for the NHS.
      These are not normal times.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        At this time, I wouldn't chase anyone working for the NHS.
        These are not normal times.
        I would agree with jpkeates above.

Also, be VERY careful of what you put in writing/whatsapp/etc with regard to chasing rent from this tenant, as a few ill-chosen words could well morph into a Daily Mail headline screaming "Landlord harrasses key-worker nurse doing 16 hours shifts" along with details of how much your house (residence) is worth and how many properties you own (not difficult to dig out if you rent out properties through a ltd.co).

Good luck.

Comment

Letting them miss their rent payment may end up causing the problems down the line as they might have a bigger bill to pay than usual when they realise they've missed it. I would chase if it is late but caveat with 'I appreciate how hard you are working - when you can I'd appreciate your rent payment' or something else very friendly and unthreatening.

Comment

I would chase anyone for rent! NHS workers are one of the few people who are definitely getting paid.

Comment

Why don't you minimise the situation and go for a mortgage holiday, so that once the situation corrects itself you will be in a better position. Offer them a re-payment plan (as the gov. suggests) do all you can to minimise the fall back on yourself later on.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X