Chasing rent from NHS workers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chasing rent from NHS workers

I have a tenant who is a nurse and sometimes a bit late with his rent but I usually cut him quite a bit of slack because of the work he does etc. With the current climate I thought he would at least have secure work but he didn’t pay so I chased him up and he apologised and said he’s been working flat out etc. I feel a bit guilty chasing him for rent but need to keep things ticking over as I have quite a lot of tenants and some are already struggling. I would love to give him a rent break but I have to pay the mortgage company.

is it ok to chase nhs workers for rent at the moment or should I just leave him alone as he has enough to worry about?

Suggest to him he sets up Standing Order- No worries

Comment

At this time, I wouldn't chase anyone working for the NHS.
      These are not normal times.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        At this time, I wouldn't chase anyone working for the NHS.
        These are not normal times.
        I would agree with jpkeates above.

Also, be VERY careful of what you put in writing/whatsapp/etc with regard to chasing rent from this tenant, as a few ill-chosen words could well morph into a Daily Mail headline screaming "Landlord harrasses key-worker nurse doing 16 hours shifts" along with details of how much your house (residence) is worth and how many properties you own (not difficult to dig out if you rent out properties through a ltd.co).

Good luck.

Comment

Letting them miss their rent payment may end up causing the problems down the line as they might have a bigger bill to pay than usual when they realise they've missed it. I would chase if it is late but caveat with 'I appreciate how hard you are working - when you can I'd appreciate your rent payment' or something else very friendly and unthreatening.

Comment

I would chase anyone for rent! NHS workers are one of the few people who are definitely getting paid.

Comment

Why don't you minimise the situation and go for a mortgage holiday, so that once the situation corrects itself you will be in a better position. Offer them a re-payment plan (as the gov. suggests) do all you can to minimise the fall back on yourself later on.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to MCOL & PCOL
                by OS7
                Just to close of this thread : telephone hearing took place and after a lengthy hearing - the defendants application to set aside CCJ was dismissed and a CCJ with an instalment order was ordered by the Judge. He said he saw no real prospect of the defendant defending the claim, however to resolve he...
                30-11-2021, 05:44 AM
              • MCOL & PCOL
                by OS7
                Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
                04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
              • Reply to Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                by meyou5ick
                I actually signed the terms in the beginning of the contract, and I have not witnessed this before but these guys had another page where they mentioned this. Now my issue is that given how abysmal their service was and me paying from my own pocket, I should have disbanded the contract then. The issue...
                30-11-2021, 04:32 AM
              • Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                by meyou5ick
                Dear all,

I was letting my place to tenants that were sourced by this estate agent. The estate agent however misrepresented myself and misled the tenants about what's included in the monthly rental cost. The tenant had complained to the agent however, I had to pay for 6 months of services...
                29-11-2021, 16:04 PM
              • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                by AndrewDod
                Even if you are an AST "tenant", you are tenant of Sarah, not a tenant of Sarah's landlord. If Sarah ceases to be a tenant that does not make you a tenant of Sarah's landlord (nor does any deposit you paid to Sarah have anything to do with Sarah's landlord).

Sarah's right of...
                29-11-2021, 23:05 PM
              • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                by Bert1e
                Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
                28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
              • Reply to Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                by Hudson01
                Did you use them on a tenant find service only ? If so then read the contract you signed and see what it says about what you are about to do, i use the tenant find service but then let the leases go into periodic, i pay the agent nothing and never have done, maybe if i signed another 12 AST a fee may...
                29-11-2021, 19:44 PM
              • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                by jpkeates
                There's not normally an issue with the gas certificate timing other than the very first one.
                That said email is not how you give people documents like that, unless the tenant has agreed to be served them by email.
                29-11-2021, 18:16 PM
              • Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                by Mr. Sparkle
                About 3 weeks ago I had a gas certificate issued.

I forgot to email the tenant a copy of the document.

I plan to evict the tenant with either a Section 8 or 21 and want to know whether there is any issue regarding the delay to give the tenant the gas cert?

There...
                29-11-2021, 14:15 PM
              • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                by theartfullodger
                No idea if the GSC you have is OK or not (1st place, you don;t say) or what the timing is for when it should be served. So difficult to answer.

But...

s8 not an issue

s21 see
                https://nearlylegal.co.uk/section-21-flowchart/

- there's...
                29-11-2021, 17:50 PM
              Working...
              X