Can I move out right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I move out right now?

I'm almost at the end of my tenancy (31/3) and I don't feel comfortable about moving out in the light of the government 'stay at home' restriction laws. LL wants me out as he's adamant there is someone moving in - which imho also shouldn't be going on during the pandemic crisis. For further context I may have had the virus and am self-isolating right now, day 8, so there may be traces of virus living on surfaces etc. Am I covered by the eviction amnesty measures? As I see it I'm not covered once my tenancy expires and desperately hope someone can tell me I'm wrong.

Could you asnwer theses question https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...om-new-posters

So people can advise you , Thanks ...
    Thunderbirds are go

Comment

i think you should write your landlord a letter (by email) explaining why it would run contrary to public pollcy for you to relocate
      and indicating that you intend to stay put for at least a further month paying another months rent. Make all your points. The landlord needs a court order to remove you. Be sure to pay the rent due for obvious reasons. Is the tenancy ending as a result of you serving notice? I hope not because in general a tenant who gives notices then fails to leave on the appointed day has according to ancient law - the distress of rent act 1737- pay a penal rate of double rent.This act is still - in theory good law!

Comment

Yep, unfortunately that's the case, I gave notice. I know all that legal stuff re tenancy law, distress of rent etc, but how does that hold up in the face of the new laws on lockdown??
        (Re the questions so people can advise...it's in Wales, solo tenant, since Jan 2017 but on statutory rolling monthly now)

Comment

I don't see how your notice can be valid if you served it during the fixed term.
          Talk to shelter today to confirm.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Do you have a Contractual Periodic Tenancy?

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
              I don't see how your notice can be valid if you served it during the fixed term.
              Talk to shelter today to confirm.
              We need answer to post #2 to give reasonable advice.
              It is not obvious that the fixed term has already ended.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X