Tenancy signed but can't move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy signed but can't move

Hi, a bit of advice needed if possible, please. We were due to move on Friday 27th but obviously, now we can't. We signed the tenancy agreement and was given a set of keys as the landlord was moving out of the house we were moving into. Until yesterday afternoon the move was still going head then the removal company rang and said that B.A.R. has told them to cease business with immediate effect. Now, we have paid nearly £10000 in rent for the first 6 months and deposit. We have been told that the contract is legally binding, but previously to that, that if the government stopped all moves then the contract would be null and void. We still fully intend to move when the restrictions are lifted. The landlords are saying that no money can be refunded. Thoughts etc? Thank you.

I don't want to sound more like an idiot than usual, but I think the problem is not that you can't move, but that your furniture (from the sounds of it) can't.

Do you have a contract with the removal firm?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hire a van and move the furniture yourself?

Comment

Wonder how you would feel if you had signed the contract with the LL and then the LL turned around and said you couldn't move into the place because the LL's car is in the garage? The relationship between the garage and the T has nothing to do with you, same as the removal van and the LL.

Comment

Can't see why the government would prohibit all house moves even given their ludicrous anti-virus response -- you can move home quite well without ever being within 500 yards of another human being.

Comment

I work in 'Self Storage', which, like removals is a key part of many peoples house move. The government restrictions apply to 'retail' and we, and your removers, are not retail businesses. BAR may have advised closure but their opinion has no meaning in law.

IMHO, your removal company will be in breach of contract. I strongly suspect other removal companies are operating in your area and a little research might put your move back on track.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dont have access to a printer
              by AndrewDod
              The raft of recent legislation pretty much requires that you print a planet destroying amount of paper (and some parts of it, such as the rather wonderful "How to rent" booklet are designed so as to require an entire ink cartridge worth of ink per page).

Strangely enough the...
              30-05-2020, 02:24 AM
            • Dont have access to a printer
              by jtufty
              Hi,

I have a new tenant moving in. Ive got the contract and Condition Report ready to go but I dont have access to a printer. Is it enough for me to email these to the tenant and ask them in writing to respond theyre happy with it all?

Thanks...
              28-05-2020, 06:19 AM
            • Reply to Tenants struggling to pay rent...payment plan or move them on?
              by Perce
              In what ways can small claims court impact S21 or S8 ? Does anybody has experienced?...
              29-05-2020, 22:38 PM
            • Tenants struggling to pay rent...payment plan or move them on?
              by Mavis808
              I have a Tenant Couple who have informed me this week that they can not afford the rent this month. Naturally they have blamed this on the Coronavirus however they have paid their rent 1 week late often, sometimes longer so have struggled in the past.

I kindly said I would help with a payment...
              24-05-2020, 18:20 PM
            • S21 notice
              by Uklondoner
              My tenant is on rolling contract. Since 18/04 he has not paid the rent only paid a quarter of the owed rent recently. I am ready to serve him s21. Because he is hard to talk to and being dishonest to me. Does the s21 include the time for eviction? You might say 3moths but I will say 2 weeks whatso...
              29-05-2020, 21:52 PM
            • Reply to Section 21
              by Perce
              It is not clear yet what is going to happen with evictions. The ban may be extended till the end of the year. It is becoming almost impossible to evict a tenant. The government will make a decision shortly....
              29-05-2020, 20:24 PM
            • Section 21
              by zrux
              Hi

My tenant was struggling to pay rent, they wanted to move to council house. And asked me to serve notice.
              I served them the section 21 Notice on 28Apr2020 and gave them 4 months to vacate the property on 31-Aug

Since then the tenant says he doesn't want to move out...
              28-05-2020, 13:18 PM
            • Reply to Section 21
              by MdeB
              Yes for S8G8, but for the discretionary grounds it is for the LL to persuade the judge....
              29-05-2020, 19:56 PM
            • Reply to Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
              by Stew
              I understand you are upset but chase the person named on the lease, if they are together still it will impact the both of them so chasing for the CCJ on the named tenant will still impact the one not named as it will carry forward with them if they don't pay right away and when they try and rent again...
              29-05-2020, 18:55 PM
            • Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
              by MadLL
              Apologies if I have posted this before, but I cannot find my original post, if I did indeed post!
              I rented my property to a tenant. I knew at the start of the tenancy that the partner planned to move in at a later date, although the tenant denied the partner ever moved in as I expect they did...
              29-05-2020, 17:30 PM
            Working...
            X