Tenancy signed but can't move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy signed but can't move

Hi, a bit of advice needed if possible, please. We were due to move on Friday 27th but obviously, now we can't. We signed the tenancy agreement and was given a set of keys as the landlord was moving out of the house we were moving into. Until yesterday afternoon the move was still going head then the removal company rang and said that B.A.R. has told them to cease business with immediate effect. Now, we have paid nearly £10000 in rent for the first 6 months and deposit. We have been told that the contract is legally binding, but previously to that, that if the government stopped all moves then the contract would be null and void. We still fully intend to move when the restrictions are lifted. The landlords are saying that no money can be refunded. Thoughts etc? Thank you.

I don't want to sound more like an idiot than usual, but I think the problem is not that you can't move, but that your furniture (from the sounds of it) can't.

Do you have a contract with the removal firm?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hire a van and move the furniture yourself?

Comment

Wonder how you would feel if you had signed the contract with the LL and then the LL turned around and said you couldn't move into the place because the LL's car is in the garage? The relationship between the garage and the T has nothing to do with you, same as the removal van and the LL.

Comment

Can't see why the government would prohibit all house moves even given their ludicrous anti-virus response -- you can move home quite well without ever being within 500 yards of another human being.

Comment

I work in 'Self Storage', which, like removals is a key part of many peoples house move. The government restrictions apply to 'retail' and we, and your removers, are not retail businesses. BAR may have advised closure but their opinion has no meaning in law.

IMHO, your removal company will be in breach of contract. I strongly suspect other removal companies are operating in your area and a little research might put your move back on track.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to deposit deductions
              by jpkeates
              That clause is not longer enforceable and is no longer valid (Tenant Fees Act 2019 - which extended to existing tenancies on 1st June 2020).

The tenant remains liable to return the property in the same condition as it was let to them, less fair wear and tear.
              If they don't, the landlord...
              11-07-2020, 09:13 AM
            • deposit deductions
              by Piptrees
              Tenancy agreement clearly states carpets and curtains should be professionally cleaned at the end of the tenancy. Outgoing tenant did not have these done so presumably I have the the right to deduct these costs from his deposit?
              10-07-2020, 16:45 PM
            • Reply to Tenant's NtQ
              by jpkeates
              Once the notice expires, the tenancy ends.
              Which means that anyone in the property afterwards is, as far as I can determine, a trespasser.

So the owner should be able to lock them out and they should have no recourse against the owner.
              As they have no right to be in the property,...
              11-07-2020, 09:10 AM
            • Tenant's NtQ
              by HantsAgent
              I have a tenant (an unmarried couple, joint and severally liable AST) in a property with some fairly substantial arrears.

The female partner has contacted me recently to state that she was largely unaware of the financial issues and has just discovered that her partner has been hiding numerous...
              10-07-2020, 14:09 PM
            • arrears and damage
              by Dougie99
              Hi, I have recently had 2 tenants leave Mother and daughter and 2 kids. They had been in arrears since Feb and left owing £2130.

I had £1040 deposit signed to me and they signed an agreement to pay arrears over 12 months, they moved out a day before they said they were going to and moved...
              11-07-2020, 08:10 AM
              by mind the gap
              This is not an attack on OP, but in my experience the landlords who are most officious about demanding that tenants pay for professional cleaning at the end of the tenancy are the least likely to have ensured such cleaning happened prior to its commencement.

There really should be no...
              11-07-2020, 07:09 AM
            • Reply to Can LL seek compensation for unpaid rent if tenancy was ended over text message?
              by mariner
              IMO No. A SPT period can be valid for upto 3 years
              11-07-2020, 03:51 AM
            • Can LL seek compensation for unpaid rent if tenancy was ended over text message?
              by youngnotgullible
              Sorry if this isn't the right place to post. Desperate for any input on the situation I'm in.

I ended my tenancy early. On the 1st of April I sent my landlord a text message stating that I'd 'transfer [April's] rent' to him, and that it would be my last month spent in the room. I initially...
              09-07-2020, 20:42 PM
              by mariner
              A Tenant only has to 'return Property in similar condition,less FW&T, as of start of T.'
              11-07-2020, 03:29 AM
              by Piptrees
              “To arrange for the Property to be professionally cleaned on the termination on the
              tenancy and pay for any cleaning services that may be required to reinstate the Property to
              the same order in which it was provided at the commencement of the tenancy including
              the cleaning of...
              11-07-2020, 02:23 AM
            Working...
            X