Tenancy signed but can't move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy signed but can't move

Hi, a bit of advice needed if possible, please. We were due to move on Friday 27th but obviously, now we can't. We signed the tenancy agreement and was given a set of keys as the landlord was moving out of the house we were moving into. Until yesterday afternoon the move was still going head then the removal company rang and said that B.A.R. has told them to cease business with immediate effect. Now, we have paid nearly £10000 in rent for the first 6 months and deposit. We have been told that the contract is legally binding, but previously to that, that if the government stopped all moves then the contract would be null and void. We still fully intend to move when the restrictions are lifted. The landlords are saying that no money can be refunded. Thoughts etc? Thank you.

I don't want to sound more like an idiot than usual, but I think the problem is not that you can't move, but that your furniture (from the sounds of it) can't.

Do you have a contract with the removal firm?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hire a van and move the furniture yourself?

Comment

Wonder how you would feel if you had signed the contract with the LL and then the LL turned around and said you couldn't move into the place because the LL's car is in the garage? The relationship between the garage and the T has nothing to do with you, same as the removal van and the LL.

Comment

Can't see why the government would prohibit all house moves even given their ludicrous anti-virus response -- you can move home quite well without ever being within 500 yards of another human being.

Comment

I work in 'Self Storage', which, like removals is a key part of many peoples house move. The government restrictions apply to 'retail' and we, and your removers, are not retail businesses. BAR may have advised closure but their opinion has no meaning in law.

IMHO, your removal company will be in breach of contract. I strongly suspect other removal companies are operating in your area and a little research might put your move back on track.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X