Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
    Yes, good epidemiology is difficult.
    Indeed. By its nature it is, if not a social science, then something of a hybrid which involves social science. No one who is not an epidemiologist should be expressing opinions on how a disease may spread. It is not just statistics. Of course statisticans and other scientists may understand what epidemiologists say better than the rest of us, but they should not hold themselves out as experts in epidemiology.

We need to remember that politicians and civil servants are not typically scientists. They have learned other skills. When things get serious they have to listen carefully to experts. Populists like Trump can ignore warnings about global warming because there is little chance of a disaster tomorrow. It is different when the death toll starts mounting.

Comment

I've got to be honest, I've been very surprised at the governments willingness to listen to their experts.

I had expected the PM to be far more "trumpy" than he has turned out to be so far.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        I had expected the PM to be far more "trumpy" than he has turned out to be so far.
        With Trump what you see is what you get. BJ has been putting on a great act for years to achieve his lifetime ambition of being PM. Now he's got there and faces an unprecedented crisis he knows he has to come across as statesmanlike. He also knows he needs to get it right as it is the government in power and not the government in waiting which will take the blame if things go wrong.

Comment

With 'experts' like ours you don't need enemies. Ignore what you can see happened in China and Italy and what the WHO and every other health expert says and deliberately allow it spread to create herd immunity. I'm glad BJ listened to popular opinion and reversed this policy.
          These are same experts who thought we'd all be dead from BSE and then allowed FMD and bovine TB to spread throughout the country before trying to control them. They don't exactly have a good track record. A mathematical model is only as good as good as the assumptions it's based on and they don't seem to realise these can be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post

Then you ought to be able to calculate that 650,000 worldwide flu deaths would equate to 2000 pro rata for the UK
            I have tried calculating this and I do not get 2000.

[650000 deaths]/[7.8 billion world population]*[66.44 million UK population] = 5537

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post

I have tried calculating this and I do not get 2000.

[650000 deaths]/[7.8 billion world population]*[66.44 million UK population] = 5537
              Maybe you need a new calculator 😁 but either way you could get nowhere near the great conspiracy theorist's figure of way more than 20,000 annual UK flu deaths......

Comment

Maybe you need a new calculator 😁 but either way you could get nowhere near the great conspiracy theorist's figure of way more than 20,000 annual UK flu deaths......
                I think I already answered that - so no reason to go around in a circle. Dividing by the UK's % of the world population is irrelevant.

Comment

Maybe you need a new calculator 😁 .
                  So where is my calculation wrong?

Even approximations show that the answer is not 2000:

(6.5*10^x)*(6.5*10^y)/(8*10^z) is approximately (42/8)*10^X is approximately 5*10^Y (i.e. the first digit of the answer is approximately 5, not 2).

but either way you could get nowhere near the ... figure of way more than 20,000 annual UK flu deaths
                  If you looked in the UK government report linked by Mr Dod you would see that there are figures for UK flu deaths for several consecutive years.
                  The average for the four complete years is approximately 21,000.
                  The average if the incomplete year is included is approximately 17,000.

So a figure of approximately 20,000 per year seems reasonable and supports Mr Dod's statement:

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

the UK's % of the world population is irrelevant.

Comment

Slog international special report, No 1 Nach dem Thomas Schaefer Selbstmord, beginnt die deutsche Politik über strengstens Quarantäne von COVID19 zu werden. Germany begins to look for pathway out of Lockdown 70 senior medics debunk 'killer virus' narrative A pattern of 'deadly' exaggeration re COVID19 revealed The finance minister of Hesse, Thomas Schaefer, committed suicide…

Comment

So far this year (2020) there have been less deaths in the UK than in comparable previous years. In the week ending March 20th there were 0.6% more deaths than in the comparable week for the past 5 years (72 deaths) - however this is more than offset by the lower death rates the weeks before that.

In the meantime economic analyses are starting to show a cost per life-year saved by intervention (not including deaths caused by the intervention or by poverty and later NHS failure) at (the lowest estimate) £70,000 per quality adjusted life-year ranging up to £7 million per year of life saved. The reasonable mid estimates of around perhaps £500,000 per year are about 15 times greater than those used to exclude use of expensive experimental drugs in cancer patients.

Since landlords and owners of startup businesses, and those with savings for their old age, and the next generation, are going to bear the brunt of this scenario and the lions share of it, it is important to understand the numbers.

Written from my **self**-isolation.

Comment

There have been fewer deaths so far this year than the average of the last 5 years - which is doubly significant as the population is aging each year.

Some of that will be because it's been a remarkably mild winter, some will be because the population is probably washing more and driving about less than normal and some is because people are not dying of Pneumonia triggered by covid 19 that might otherwise have been triggered by flu or something else.

But you're putting a money value on human lives.
                        Which is a rational and sensible approach to something that is neither of those things.

Moreover, there is no comparison planet to see if what we're doing has stopped things being massively worse.
                        If the covid 19's death's graph for each country was as steep as the USA's, 10s of thousands more people would have died already.

A lot of them would be people who could have died of something else, even quite soon, but lots of them might not have.

The fact that almost every country has acted in broadly the same manner, including states not renowned for valuing individual human life, gives me some comfort that the modelling is right - left unchecked the number of deaths would be devastating.
                        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Comment

The fact that almost every country has acted in broadly the same manner, including states not renowned for valuing individual human life, gives me some comfort that the modelling is right - left unchecked the number of deaths would be devastating.
                            Not sure of that JP -- even the modellers are NOT assuming that lives will be saved by preventing folk from getting the virus forever. It will not be eradicated from the earth (as was small pox). It will just become an endemic bad type of "flu" which everyone will get eventually. So the only thing that might prevent those deaths is development of a vaccine (and to a very slight extent flattening of the health demand).

Putting a monetary value on human life is what health systems do all the time (and to a large extent should do, and have to do). It's not really a monetary value -- it is a resource value which could have been expended differently (and won't be) to save lives now or later. If one really cared about lives, one would send that same money to Africa in the form of eggs - which would save far more by a factor of 1000 at least.

And yes, what is certain is that the number of deaths is going to be devastating - that has not been avoided -- although perhaps fewer of those deaths will be from the virus in the very very short term.

It is also not so much a matter of the modelling being right or wrong -- it is a matter of one particular model (produced by a group that got it totally wrong on several previous occasions) -- which is not regarded as plausible or properly evidenced by many in the field, and which does not model the whole situation in any event (only immediate deaths).

Comment

The fact that almost every country has acted ...including states not renowned for valuing individual human life,
                              There are many side effects which are hard to model, apart from the weather. The Mullahs are using the opportunity to make bombs:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/74464264.cms

Comment

The financial models for life (which I accept are necessary to support decision making) only go so far.

They rightly ascribe value to age and life expectancy, but if we're going to be objective, we need to factor in other things - which are far more difficult ethically.
                                Wealth, quality of life, fertility, genetic testing.

When the disease is absorbed into the norm, we can look back and see what we might have done, I guess.
                                At the moment, as few people as possible dying in the world seems a reasonable target - even if there is collateral economic and social damage.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant Debt
                                  by ash72
                                  I had a T 2 years ago who I successfully evicted due to property damage and rent arrears totally £8.5k. After talking with the council, I've found out the T was overpaid in housing benefit to a total of £6k, they have now started to claim this back by not paying the benefits until the debt of £6k...
                                  13-07-2020, 15:13 PM
                                • Reply to Landlords' lack of rights?
                                  by Jon66
                                  [QUOTE=AndrewDod;n1114219]

Yes absolutely agree with you, that is what happens. But the previous system apparently did not work, where the deposit was taken and never returned, and deductions made that were not genuine losses, apparently . . .. The problem is there are some very bad landlords...
                                  13-07-2020, 14:22 PM
                                • Landlords' lack of rights?
                                  by Lawcruncher
                                  In another thread:

So:

(a) What substantial rights do landlords lack which you think they should have?
                                  (b) What rights do tenants have which you think they should lose?
                                  (c) If landords were to get the rights you think they should have and tenants were...
                                  10-07-2020, 09:31 AM
                                  by AndrewDod
                                  [QUOTE=Berlingogirl;n1114213]

Yes that does seem silly (obviously your own time is not a tax-deductible expense but that is a different issue.

But deposit deductions have to do with notional diminution in value -- there is no need to actually repair -- but the reality is that...
                                  13-07-2020, 13:26 PM
                                  by Berlingogirl
                                  [QUOTE=mind the gap;n1113945]

But you can't charge for your own time as a LL if you make the repairs yourself. That's what I meant....
                                  13-07-2020, 12:21 PM
                                • Reply to Deep Fat Fryer Restriction
                                  by landlord-man
                                  There was no deposit left as such as he'd stopped paying the rent just before he went.

If it was a monetary debt (yes, I know the extra cleaning was a cost) then I would usually take it to MCOL, but at present there is too much going on to bother with it.

I have taken 3 people...
                                  13-07-2020, 10:22 AM
                                • Deep Fat Fryer Restriction
                                  by landlord-man
                                  Anyone place a deep fat fryer restriction in their AST ?
                                  12-07-2020, 10:34 AM
                                • Reply to property to be used as childcare
                                  by Ted.E.Bear
                                  it depends on the size, but use of the home for an office or childminding is specifically mentioned in planning permission guidance.

“Homeworking does not necessarily require planning permission. Permission is not normally required where the use of part of a dwelling house for business...
                                  13-07-2020, 10:17 AM
                                • property to be used as childcare
                                  by Radekal
                                  Hello, we are landlords of a terraced house with a garden. Recently our tenants requested our permission to utilise the ground floor room as child care and run it as a small business.
                                  I would be grateful for any information and potential issues for us as landlords. We still pay mortgage and our
                                  09-07-2020, 05:41 AM
                                • Reply to property to be used as childcare
                                  by Interlaken
                                  Also you will find the tenants will need planning consent - a room in a small terraced house is unlikely to succeed. Extra toilets and other things have to be put in.
                                  13-07-2020, 10:04 AM
                                Working...
                                X